Leather Patch

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Harufym
Peon
Peon

Leather Patch

Post by Harufym »

I was asked to try my hand at a basic leather patch, here's the result of five minutes worth of work:

Last edited by Harufym on 01 Mar 2008, 02:34, edited 1 time in total.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Re: Leather Patch

Post by Merlin »

Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. Great job and fast results.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Harufym wrote:I was asked to try my hand at a basic leather patch, here's the result of five minutes worth of work:

Nice, but you can use 8-bit transparency. I suggest using anti aliasing on edges.
Harufym
Peon
Peon

Post by Harufym »

I'm pretty much a novice user of the GIMP at best, so my knowledge of the more advanced features is a bit lacking. I'm more than willing to learn, though.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Harufym wrote:I'm pretty much a novice user of the GIMP at best, so my knowledge of the more advanced features is a bit lacking. I'm more than willing to learn, though.
Maybe I blured edges a bit too much... :>
I used just Ereaser tool on low opacity and pen tool on 15% (probing colours from image)

it still looks odd IMO :/
Harufym
Peon
Peon

Post by Harufym »

It actually looks pretty good. I'm going to take your solution to that problem and fiddle around with it for a bit to see if I can get a cleaner version of the original. Thanks for the tip.
Harufym
Peon
Peon

Post by Harufym »

I put some finishing touches on the leather patch using the eraser tool set to 30% opacity. It sort of looks like yours, but that's because we used nearly the same method:

i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Harufym wrote:I put some finishing touches on the leather patch using the eraser tool set to 30% opacity. It sort of looks like yours, but that's because we used nearly the same method:

At first... use Image button :)

Image yours 1st version
Image mine version
Image yours 2nd version

And I said... you win :P It look acceptable now.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

i wrote:Image yours 1st version
Image mine version
Image yours 2nd version
Hmm, I think I prefer the first version... the others are too blurry in my opinion.
leeor_net
Novice
Novice

Post by leeor_net »

I agree. AA on the outer edges of pixel art defeats the very nature of what pixel art is.

AA within the confines of an objects boundaries, however, falls into the AA style of shading which is very much pixel art... :)

I'm definitly with B. on this one -- first version is the best, hands down.
- Leeor

"Oh, no thanks. I ate a boulder on the way in." - Shrek
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The classic pixel art technique to make outlines less jagged is selective outlining:
http://www.geocities.com/skulkraken2002 ... pter12.htm
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
leeor_net
Novice
Novice

Post by leeor_net »

Good point. I'm not a terribly good pixel artist -- tried my hand in it years ago when I was still just a kid trying to write my own RPG... :)

Anyway, I think the first version is the best. I think Crush has a good point though with the 'selout' method. But I would caution you with it -- poorly done it could cause a lot of visual chaos.
- Leeor

Landon
Novice
Novice

Post by Landon »

I think the first one looks more like a tattered piece of parchment and the bottom looks more like a patch.

i wrote:
Harufym wrote:I put some finishing touches on the leather patch using the eraser tool set to 30% opacity. It sort of looks like yours, but that's because we used nearly the same method:

At first... use Image button :)

Image yours 1st version
Image mine version
Image yours 2nd version

And I said... you win :P It look acceptable now.
Landon
"Life is like one big screwed up Merry-Go-Round, I get thrown off but I get right back on"
leeor_net
Novice
Novice

Post by leeor_net »

I think the first one looks more like a tattered piece of parchment and the bottom looks more like a patch.
I can see what you mean. The squaredness (is that a word?) does give it the appearance of a patch or piece of paper. Perhaps if it looked more like an animal hide, it would look better? http://www.animalsonrugs.com/members/89 ... ra_rug.jpg -- I know this image is a little silly in content but it does show a decent 'animal hide outline' sort of thing.

From World of Warcraft, their Light Leather looks like this -- http://wow.allakhazam.com/images/icons/ ... rap_03.png
- Leeor

Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

My version:

Could still use some more tweaks. ;)