sparkle

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Len
Knight
Knight

sparkle

Post by Len »

Wouldn’t it be helpful to add a sparkle effect to dropped items (the effect should be seeable even behind objects such as monster corpses and trees)

Also
Dave wrote:I know I don't have to tell you this, but you're a valued volunteer. Your forest tileset is looking great. About the trees in the forest, are you going to have tops on them that turn mostly transparent when you walk behind them? (hehe, forgive me if you've explained this a million times.. ;) ) I'd like to request that you eventually add some cave entrance tiles. ..and boulders and rocks! :D ..anyhow, keep up the good work.
Is something like that possible? It would keep the trees and other objects from disrupting game play on the new server.
Pixel Battalion
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: sparkle

Post by Jaxad0127 »

We could give draw the current player twice, once as normal and again with some transparency above the over layer. This could also be done for the current target monster to help keep track of them as well.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Thats beautifully simple 8)
Pixel Battalion
leeor_net
Novice
Novice

Post by leeor_net »

But imho, wouldn't look quite right.

I imagine it should be simple enough to blend an alpha map onto the overlay layer where the player is. This should be just as simple yet provide the sort of 'see-through' effect that has been mentioned.
- Leeor

"Oh, no thanks. I ate a boulder on the way in." - Shrek
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

leeor_net wrote:But imho, wouldn't look quite right.

I imagine it should be simple enough to blend an alpha map onto the overlay layer where the player is. This should be just as simple yet provide the sort of 'see-through' effect that has been mentioned.
But that wouldn't help when the player is being covered by something on the object layer. Or a tall thing on the over layer.

Why wouldn't it look right?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The player sprite is not one graphics but a combination of several graphics (base sprite, clothes, hair) which are separately drawn over each other. When you would draw them again with half transparency you would see the parts which are supposed to be covered by the top sprites.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Crush wrote:The player sprite is not one graphics but a combination of several graphics (base sprite, clothes, hair) which are separately drawn over each other. When you would draw them again with half transparency you would see the parts which are supposed to be covered by the top sprites.
The sprite could be drawn into a buffer and the buffer drawn twice. This would also reduce the total amount of drawing needed.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

I think we need to revisit the sparkle effect idea, especially considering the frustration of not knowing whether an item such as a clover has dropped behind an object.
Pixel Battalion
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The current dev version of the client already solved this issue by drawing items transparent over obstructing map graphics.

A particle effect, on the other hand, would be obscured by map objects like the item graphic is obscured in the current client.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Apparently particles need a tag for in which layer they are displayed. I'd like some to be displayed above everything occasionally too.
This message used to be meaningful.