Random Spawn

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Drizak
Peon
Peon

Random Spawn

Post by Drizak »

hello there, itz me again!

i was thinking on the travels of Desert City to Woodland City and the other areas like Snowtown and the dimonds cove.

The travel is not LONG, but the snakes and Scorpions somethimes kill who cant pass.

My request is the next, can have another Spawn point on mana world, that will be nice, it can be random or "preffered where you are" (you must understand, i dont talk too much english).

Well, thats enougth, bye !!
Image Drizak
leeor_net
Novice
Novice

Re: Random Spawn

Post by leeor_net »

I think I understand what you mean:

When users die, instead of being brought back to the beginning area, they are instead respawned at the nearest 'respawn area', like the graveyards of World of Warcraft.

Is this what you mean?
- Leeor

"Oh, no thanks. I ate a boulder on the way in." - Shrek
eXcite
Peon
Peon

Post by eXcite »

Yes i think he means the spawn points like world of warcraft. If he dies he will be back at the nearest graveyard. i thinks thats a nice idea. if you get killed far away, you will be thrown back to the beginnig area.

is it possible to code such graveyards?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Sure, nothing is impossible on TMWServ. But we already got a different solution for respawn we want to try out.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Drizak
Peon
Peon

Post by Drizak »

eXcite wrote: is it possible to code such graveyards?
Yeas, you hit on the Center xD
but, itz only a option, maybe can be "Randomly Spawned" to ANY spawn point.
Image Drizak
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Transporting to a random spawnpoint wouldn't be a good idea IMO because it would desorientate new players when they respawn somewhere they've never been before. It would also result in players trying to die over and over again until they respawn at a specific location.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

We could have player respawn at the inn (or doctor's office) of the last town they visited.
Drizak
Peon
Peon

Post by Drizak »

Crush wrote: Transporting to a random spawnpoint wouldn't be a good idea IMO because it would desorientate new players when they respawn somewhere they've never been before. It would also result in players trying to die over and over again until they respawn at a specific location.
hey Crush, for prevent that, can be implemented a penalty for be killed so many times in a certain time period, loss of gold, or exp.

PD; NOTHING is impossible to implement on the TMWServ.???
PPD: What IMO mean??

Thanx !
Image Drizak
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Drizak wrote:hey Crush, for prevent that, can be implemented a penalty for be killed so many times in a certain time period, loss of gold, or exp.
That would make it even less comfortable for a player to get stranded in a remote location where he can not easily get back to the area he was doing something. Would be quite annoying.
PD; NOTHING is impossible to implement on the TMWServ.???
Well, maybe not ABSOLUTELY nothing, but we got much, much more freedom regarding game mechanics with TMWServ than we got with eAthena. We programmed it from scratch so we know exactly what it does and how it does it and thus we can easily program changes and additions. Almost any gameplay mechanic you have seen in commercial MMOs would be possible to recreate with TMWServ when we would want to. WHEN we would want to. That's why I love programming: You can make a machine do anything you want.
PPD: What IMO mean??
IMO is internet yargon for In My Opinion.
  • NOT a game master

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Another option would be to allow the player to setup respawn points at inns, medical facilities, etc. Setting it up would cost some gold (the more out of the way, the more it costs) and optionally to automatically spend some gold when you respawn so you have more hp/mp that you would otherwise. Each character would only have one at a time, setting up a new one would clear the old one.
Drizak
Peon
Peon

Post by Drizak »

Crush, i guess xD wrote: That would make it even less comfortable for a player to get stranded in a remote location where he can not easily get back to the area he was doing something. Would be quite annoying.
Is true, i dont have thinked in that way, but i suppot the idea of jaxad0127, we can set it by talking to NPCs or another way.

Thanx for the "IMO" help !! xD.
Image Drizak
jimao888
Peon
Peon

Post by jimao888 »

Record the most clased city in each area can be use to solve this kind of problem
leeor_net
Novice
Novice

Post by leeor_net »

I believe the dev's have a different approach to how they're going to handle player respawns. I've only heard bits and pieces and rumors so I won't say anything because I just simply don't know.

I would suggest we allow Crush and the other developers to implement their methods and then let them tell us what they came up with.
- Leeor

"Oh, no thanks. I ate a boulder on the way in." - Shrek
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

leeor_net wrote:I would suggest we allow Crush and the other developers to implement their methods and then let them tell us what they came up with.
So we need permission now to do what we want? Interesting. :wink:
  • NOT a game master

Krysiul
Peon
Peon

Post by Krysiul »

I think that implementing the spawn areas isn't a good idea at all. Now dying make players no troubles excepting the fact that they may have to get back to the place where they were fighting before death, which is especially troublesome for the less experienced players. If the feature we're talking about is implemented then dying will cost nothing.