Forest track

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

dariunas
Novice
Novice

Forest track

Post by dariunas »

Have the initial version going now. I'll create a new thread for each track to stop things running pages long...

http://www.infectedmusicdesigns.co.uk/T ... nitial.ogg

There is a gap at about 52 secs - this will be bridged with some kind of little twinkly thing before moving into a variation of the flute theme, then a gentler string part before moving back to a resolution. I've faded out for now deliberately. It will loop as usual in the finished track.

Is this track ok to develop further, or anything you don't like much at this stage?

Also, I noticed a lot of people seem to enjoy having a go at the music also? If anyone likes, if they have any themes they'd love to hear somewhere in the game etc. please let me know or throw a midi/wav/ whatever, I'll be happy to have a go at developing it into something or working with someone.

Crush - Nice work on the musicians gather!
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Forest track

Post by Crush »

A nice start but I think it is maybe a little bit too peaceful. The player is still hunting monsters while listening to that music, after all.

Maybe a bit discreet percussion could enhance it.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

Doh! Of course... I forgot about the fighting monsters part :roll:

Ok, what I'll do is hold this off for now for another track and create something new with a bit more edge to it, but a similar instrumentation...
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

But please don't abandon this track completely. Don't get me wrong - I think it has a lot of potential.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

:)

lol, That's ok, I'm not offended but I suggested this course as I would like the track to be as suitable as possible; if there's no fighting going on, I'm sure it would work well, the main reason is that the plans I had around the structure and build of the track means that it would work very well for a non-fighting setting as I thought it out to be? (my fault lol)

And I'm not really sure it would work quite so well if I tried to adapt it...

I think if I built another track from the ground up with a monster-inhabited forest in mind, the track would probably come off more solid and well rounded. :)

I can put this one on ice for now and keep it (like the darker section in my 2nd version of Hurnscald) for later till a more opportune setting calls for it...? see what you think of the new version I do. Once you've heard the other version you might prefer it?
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Maybe my post will bring some constructive criticism.

Track seems to be monotonous. Background sample is the same on whole track length. I advice to make it a bit different on every 4th or 6th sample.

Also I recommend to analyse first 10 seconds of Vivi's Theme from FF9. In my opinion it could help a lot. Same situation you could observe in almost every background theme in FF9. Try to not listening foreground musical variations, concentrate on background. I was listening today disc one and I found this technique in:

03. Nobuo Uematsu - [Final Fantasy IX: Original Soundtrack (disc 1) #03] Battle Strategy Conference
05. Nobuo Uematsu - [Final Fantasy IX: Original Soundtrack (disc 1) #05] Vivi's Theme
09. Nobuo Uematsu - [Final Fantasy IX: Original Soundtrack (disc 1) #09] Jesters of the Moonless Sky
10. Nobuo Uematsu - [Final Fantasy IX: Original Soundtrack (disc 1) #10] Steiner's Theme
17. Nobuo Uematsu - [Final Fantasy IX: Original Soundtrack (disc 1) #17] Awakened Forest
23. Nobuo Uematsu - [Final Fantasy IX: Original Soundtrack (disc 1) #23] Run!
25. Nobuo Uematsu - [Final Fantasy IX: Original Soundtrack (disc 1) #25] Crossing Those Hills
26. Nobuo Uematsu - [Final Fantasy IX: Original Soundtrack (disc 1) #26] Ice Caverns
31. Nobuo Uematsu - [Final Fantasy IX: Original Soundtrack (disc 1) #31] Zidane's Theme

I suppose you have this OST, if not just PM for details :P
So lets improve the background sample and then you will concentrate on rest of track, what do you think about it?
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

dariunas wrote:I can put this one on ice for now and keep it (like the darker section in my 2nd version of Hurnscald) for later till a more opportune setting calls for it...? see what you think of the new version I do. Once you've heard the other version you might prefer it?
Actually I'm all for developing it further, at least to some degree of usability (looooooooooooop).
I think we will always need a theme for peaceful lands where there are no monsters roaming around.
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

ElvenProgrammer wrote:Actually I'm all for developing it further, at least to some degree of usability (looooooooooooop).
I think we will always need a theme for peaceful lands where there are no monsters roaming around.
Ok, I'm with you, I'll continue to develop this also.

Irukard, it's a good point, I'm lazy sometimes :)

In finished track, that sample would actually change at the 1:00 mark along with some other changes, but you're right - in the first minute, it is quite repetitive. And this could grate after a while...

My plan for is to keep the cello for the first minute, but introduce some minor variations in notation in a few of the bars - that should produce the interest we're after and just enough variation to stop it being boring. But this section will be re-introduced later in the track - that's when I'll overhaul the cellos. This track will be the longest yet, so the number of repetitions of the entire track should be reduced...
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

You might want to make the chello a bit less intrusive and a bit softer. The rythm could a bit more laid back.

Basically I like the balance, but that is quite heavy to listen to at the moment. It at least tries to take my attention automatically. Probably because all of the drama going on there between the instruments. Pauses are an element you should use with great care.

Creating background music that'll stay in the background and is not meaningless is probably one of the hardest compositioning challenges.
This message used to be meaningful.
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

I've lightened up those cellos... but are you sure about the rhythm? I assumed with the monsters, you'd want some elements of pace or 'drive'...

not that it can't work without (I remember the ice continent woodland music in Secret of Mana for example, was very relaxed...) yet I remember carving up wolves and all sorts :)
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

I have come up with something new for the forest area... not actually sure if anyone will prefer it. I think it's more suitable than the last effort - I can work on the other version for a more peaceful environment...

I have not tagged this file, as these are drafts. Whenever I come up with a completed, full version of a track, I will tag it in full :) This is not a finished track, please remember... there is still a whole section pending completion.

There is a loud violin note (too loud) at 51secs, coming into 52 secs, which I noticed on preview and is noted for fixing in final version. So... as far as fighting monsters in a forest goes...

http://www.infectedmusicdesigns.co.uk/T ... ial_v2.ogg

Anyone who liked the forest_initial (1st) version, please note, I'm not scrapping it, and will work on it for something else, perhaps a second forest area where there are no monsters or a courtyard/treehouse/town/village etc.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Yeah! I do like it!

[stamp of approval]
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I wish I would have more vocabulary for talking about music. I hope I can express my thoughts correctly and don't cause any misunderstandings.

I don't like the background track (?) which goes through the whole song. It is a bit obtrusive and monotonous, in my opinion, especially the chord (?) which is repeated frequently (it stops between 0:45 and starts again at 1:00). But the other parts are really good.
  • NOT a game master

dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

lol...

Ok, the arpeggiated chord (when a chord's broken up and each note sounded in sequence) in this case is essentially the element that binds the track together and helps continuity. If I introduce too much variation across this base element, it could bring about another set of issues when it comes to maintaining cohesion of the melodic and harmonious elements. However, this chrod actually changes throughout the song with minor note changes to help shift the harmony in the instruments around it, but the changes are more subtle.

If you find this is still quite grating, I would argue it's the rhythm which isn't helping being quite more er... 'plodding' than 'plinky plonky' (like the pizzicato violins - which come in at 7-8 seconds)

I can work on trying to vary the cello element more, as long as you don't mind waiting :wink:
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

http://www.infectedmusicdesigns.co.uk/T ... ial_v3.ogg

Tried to put some variation into the cellos... if it still feels a bit ploddy, then I suspect it would be the rhythm of the cellos in which case it would need a bit more time spent on it...