Cave sound track

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Landon
Novice
Novice

Cave sound track

Post by Landon »

I made this track to be used in a cave or where ever.

for the full effect please set your media player to loop or repeat

http://www.freewebs.com/solitech/music/ ... 0Quest.ogg
Landon
"Life is like one big screwed up Merry-Go-Round, I get thrown off but I get right back on"
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Re: Cave sound track

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Not bad as a start, but maybe it's abit too techno. Try by lowering the drums effect, and also insert some more quiet variants.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

1. As Elven said too much techno. Generally we do not aim to have tracks with hard, very laud and clear bass beat. This track reminds me track from "Oxygen" era.
2. You should sign track by your first- and last name. This is the best way to credit track. Maybe in future we will make a music compilation, so it would be nice to know after all those years who made this song.
3. I advice continuing work. Maybe you should talk about music making techniques with dariunas . His songs are "softer" and instruments used are closed to real one. I'm not the big fan of sequencers and all this electronic thingies ;P

After 40 loops in foobar I must say that song more fits "space conquer" than "cave quest".
Landon
Novice
Novice

Post by Landon »

Thanks for the input, juvenile comments do not encourage people to donate there time to the improvement of a project. Please encourage people and not discourage them. When some people design things and put there heart and soul into it comments like that make a person feel unappreciated and feel like it was a waste of time even trying; I thought as a developer you would know that.

i wrote:After 40 loops in foobar I must say that song more fits "space conquer" than "cave quest".
Landon
"Life is like one big screwed up Merry-Go-Round, I get thrown off but I get right back on"
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

Landon, I quite like this track in it's own right. Nicely mixed, well composed and in all honesty you probably have more electronic techniques than I do. It loops very well!

It's a nice track and your sound selection is very good, in that they all work together well, but as far as using it in game goes, all it needs is a stylistic overhaul...

First off save this version as it's really quite nice, these TMW developers are quite fussy :wink:

...take a copy of your new track and think about the following

- Identify the elements which lend the track a more techno feel such as the four-to-the-floor bass drum :) - mute this for now... at the moment, the bass drum, while holding the track together and makes it strong, is also a very driving element of the track and would make the player want to push through hard 'n' fast rather than explore - if you've played Halo and remember the level at night (I think the 3rd or fourth one where you begin with a sniper rifle), the music has a similar feel to this and while, calm, serves to drive the player through the level, clearing up convenant soldiers...

- Once the drums are muted, see if you can introduce some more organic sounding elements into the track - they can still be synthesised or pads. Reverb will be your friend in making a cave track :), you can afford to use more reverb on small intermittent, low volume sounds or percussive effects.

- At the moment the track is tight and structured - the end feel could be a little less quantised, looser-feeling, a little softer.

...to occupy the bass end of the spectrum, and replace the bass drum you could try a low ambient pad that pops it's head up in a few places where you want to introduce a little tension... or something else entirely?

At the end of the day, you'll know when you have a track fitting for a cave - you'll listen back and just know :)

I hope you're not offended by this, but this track (at this stage, I know it's not end article) sounds a little like menu music for a professional game (the kind that would have a hi-tech-looking GUI or a racing game...?) Maybe I'm wrong, just my opinion. Do you mind me asking what software you use?

Check out this guy,

http://www.sgxmusic.com/music.htm

He's brilliant!! :mrgreen:

Check out Save Me (ICO Remix) and soulsight - soulsight is a good example of that softer sound :)
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Landon wrote:Thanks for the input, juvenile comments do not encourage people to donate there time to the improvement of a project. Please encourage people and not discourage them. When some people design things and put there heart and soul into it comments like that make a person feel unappreciated and feel like it was a waste of time even trying; I thought as a developer you would know that.

i wrote:After 40 loops in foobar I must say that song more fits "space conquer" than "cave quest".
Landon, don't get me wrong. I really do like when people contribute content into tmw.
I remember when I first time draw pixart for TMW purposes. Rotonen put constructive criticism on it, and I felt very unappreciated. But after some period of time I realized that he was right. I was out of perspective and out of style with my pixarts. After all this 3 years I really hate when people says: "Cool", "Keep going", "Great art"... It was nice long time ago, but now I'm waiting for constructive criticism. What is wrong, what should be improved. If you really want to be good musician/graphician/programmer all you need is listen to others, and learn from it.

btw. Long time ago I draw water wheel. This one near mine on desert. Now I know it's out of perspective, it looks awful. But 3 years ago I was proud of it. Why? Because after 3 days of contributing it was accepted by Rotonen.
I was talking about my feelings. When I was listening this song repeatedly and closed my eyes I couldn't imagine dark cave, with water, cold walls. Vision wasn't creepy enough. I saw only space ship, and distant ocean of space. That's what I'm talking about. It just doesn't fit cave. Please We are here to not discourage people. Rather to find solution, to improve existing work. This is Open Source Software, only way we could paid you for your work is EXPERIENCE you gain. So keep doing great job, you got nice start.