Music Developing

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

i think the background music from ragnarok online is a quite good example for us. they show that real instruments combined with synthesizer sounds and even voice samples can fit well into a fantasy enviroment.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Why not just simple nostalgic synthesised music? What's wrong with that?
http://www.desertplanet.com/
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Ragnarok Online has an excellent soundtrack, but it lacks a bit coherency, I think.

And if we could contract a band to do our soundtrack, it would pay off (if not used in game, as an OST anyway).
This message used to be meaningful.
Falcon_Amanatay
Peon
Peon

Post by Falcon_Amanatay »

Modanung Wrote:

Why not just simple nostalgic synthesised music? What's wrong with that?
http://www.desertplanet.com/
This sounded really good.
I only listened to the first pages' music...but I liked it.
A few songs like that wouldn't hurt. lol. :idea:
Hello, Hello.
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Well, what's wrong with the old-school music, though very nostalgic, is that it's just that- old school and old hat. I refer to a common quote: If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten. New school gaming music is catchier and "better" to many gamers of today (although I too do love the game music of the past). It's similar to why we have to have good graphics and good gameplay instead of good gameplay alone now... new gamers place higher value on good graphics. In the same respect, our music must be both good and modern.
Pajarico wrote:Sorry, I never understood the adjective of "outdated" applied to music; to me either it's good or it's bad .
The binary good/bad may be adequate for personal processing of music, but for the production of music for TMW more parameters are necessary. Remember the discussion we're having concurrently in the graphics section about uniform guidelines to our graphics? Good graphics are being thrown by the wayside because they do not fit in with the other graphics. In the same respect, music must be good but also related to the other music. We could have Beethoven's fifth, Fatboy Slim's "Harder, Faster, Stronger", White Riot's "Cum On Feel the Noise", and the theme song from Tetris, but while they may all be good, they aren't necessarily good together.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Ultim... we're not trying to make a modern, next-gen game here. We're making an old-school RPG, but in MMO form.
If I understand correct you are suggesting we do exactly the same as all big companies are doing NOW. And I think it's better to do something that has been done a while ago (and almost forgotten by some people) with a twist then create something the world is being flooded with today. And 'old-skool' synthesised music fits with that idea, it's nostalgic.

Oh and "Harder Better Faster Stronger" was a song by DaftPunk. Fat Boy Slim never did a song titled anything like "Harder Faster Stronger". :P
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
knivey
Novice
Novice

Post by knivey »

Daft Punk is awsome :P I'll probably just mute my in game music and start amarok playing some Daft Punk while i play :D
All your base are belong to us.
Wind
Peon
Peon

Post by Wind »

Hail, I am a musician who would be interested in helping.

http://www.myspace.com/Galexiaband
you may listen to my work there, I can create completley new songs for the game in studio quality or I can rework some of my own songs from my three albums.

I assume you guys want completley instrumental, so get back to me on if my work is good enough, I'd be glad to help out. contact me via email or on aim, I'll check here for a response later on today.

- email - WindKun@Gmail.com
- a i m - evil wind kun
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Re:

Post by dariunas »

Pajarico wrote:
Ultim wrote:Can i suggest getting with the times with our music? The classical stuff is really outdated and doesn't cut it anymore. Let's get something with guitar or something. Newer games like Halo 2 and Perfect Dark Zero are doing it, why can't we?
I haven't played those games but if they are like Devil May Cry it sucks big time.
Whoa! WHOA!!

Devil May Cry is brilliant!! 1 and 3 anyway... The composers behind this have some serious electronic talents! I have to post some examples up soon :shock:
Morgoth
Peon
Peon

Re: Music Developing

Post by Morgoth »

I'm a composer, my whole family are composers/musicians. I have 4 or so pieces that I've written for school music composition
tasks, and I can write a whole lot more pretty easily. My pieces are usually around 2-4 minutes, but I can make them longer if need be. A lot of them use classical instruments combined with the more familiar electric guitar and drums. I use Sibelius 4 and Synthfont to write my music and then play around with the midi and make mp3s or oggs. Who do I send these to?

Morgoth
a man, a plan, a canal, Panama! backwards without spaces is: amanaplanacanalpanama. Notice anything? (Palindromes are awesome)
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Attach to forums?
This message used to be meaningful.
Morgoth
Peon
Peon

Post by Morgoth »

Aaarg! I was trying to attach the files to the forums, and it says the extension ogg is not allowed, so I tried the mp3 format. Same thing. Can anyone help?

Morgoth
a man, a plan, a canal, Panama! backwards without spaces is: amanaplanacanalpanama. Notice anything? (Palindromes are awesome)
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Morgoth wrote:Aaarg! I was trying to attach the files to the forums, and it says the extension ogg is not allowed, so I tried the mp3 format. Same thing. Can anyone help?

Morgoth
I've updated forum settings to allow ogg/mp3 up to 4 MB, on this "Sound development" forum. It works for me, so please try again. :-)
Morgoth
Peon
Peon

Post by Morgoth »

gack, been having problems with Ubuntu for ages, but now my system is working. Here are the somewhat overdue files.
Attachments
Onslaught.mp3
(3.17 MiB) Downloaded 247 times
light hunting.mp3
(3.61 MiB) Downloaded 252 times
Insert Original Title Here.mp3
(1.08 MiB) Downloaded 249 times
Morgoth
Peon
Peon

Post by Morgoth »

oh, and the other one.
Attachments
Epicus.mp3
(2.89 MiB) Downloaded 266 times