World map/kingdoms/regions

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

I have a question, the distribution of town/kingdoms proposed in the wiki are definitive?
I ask this because before start to draw some sort of map i want to know.

Also i think is important to establish before going on:
1.- form of the land,
2.- if the map is going to be continuous or will have limits,
3.- the place of every town,
4.- further descriptions,
5.- if the world is a continent or just flat land.

:wink:
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

No, they're not definitive. After all, that's what we're discussing now, isn't it?

1. Please elaborate. Do you mean shape, general geographical features, what?
2. Well, I think it should be continuous, but humongous.
3. I don't think that needs to be decided prior to making some sort of map.
4. Those can be elaboarated based upon how they're placed in the map.
5. I'm voting continent.
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

No, they're not definitive. After all, that's what we're discussing now, isn't it?
I asked because in the wiki there are some (very loose i have to say) indications of were should be each thing, like to the north, on the east of that, to south of this...
1. Please elaborate. Do you mean shape, general geographical features, what?
Shape, but i guess is not defined yet. Is a relief for me in some way :P
What is humongous?
5. I'm voting continent.
Me too. Someone suggested the idea of every server to be a continent/island and i liked it.

By the way, i want to hear every one opinion on that matters

Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Pajarico wrote:
What is humongous?
http://www.answers.com/humongous

And I agree with humongous continuous. I remember somebody suggesting continuous as a reason to have several ways to go from one place to another, but you don't just walk around the world. There are other ways to create several ways to go from one place to another that make more sense. :)
Pajarico wrote:
5. I'm voting continent.
Me too. Someone suggested the idea of every server to be a continent/island and i liked it.
I'm voting continent as well, but I don't think it's necessary to have one for each server, that should be a pretty loose relation. Note that I expect one continent to consist of several maps (heh, a single city is already big enough for a single map), and would at first basically devide the maps amongst servers in a way that best balances the load.
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

I'm voting continent as well, but I don't think it's necessary to have one for each server, that should be a pretty loose relation. Note that I expect one continent to consist of several maps (heh, a single city is already big enough for a single map), and would at first basically devide the maps amongst servers in a way that best balances the load.
It was an idea to expand the world, not neccesarily to start with.

Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Alternative approach: We just gradually build the world piece by piece starting from Amzeroth.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Rotonen wrote:Alternative approach: We just gradually build the world piece by piece starting from Amzeroth.
Yes, but it's good to have a plan I think. :-)
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Rotonen wrote:Alternative approach: We just gradually build the world piece by piece starting from Amzeroth.
Problem with that: the temples. They all need to be present at the start, and they can't all be in the desert kingdom (which is going to be renamed to not be a blatant ripoff of Warcraft). Plus, Bjørn is right: we need a plan to start out with, a template to build upon. RO builds piece-by-piece, and while that gives them endless expansion potential, it also summons the poor-planning demon in some areas, and we don't want to have to deal with that.
SuriKatta
Peon
Peon

Post by SuriKatta »

(which is going to be renamed to not be a blatant ripoff of Warcraft)
*snrksnrksnrk...*
.draHooTgniyrTerAuoY,sihTgnidaeRerAuoYfI
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Maybe to the kingdom of Sonbrand.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

I want abandon land named Gundarac Kingdom ;) /the fantasy place i live/
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

This is good. We need some names to fill in all the empty kingdoms we have, so please keep your ideas coming in. As for the world map that I posted, I'm sure it will change quite soon. Let me justify a few things, however:

1 - Rotonen and I talked about the shape of the Mana World, and thought a flat world would be best suited to preserve the idea that the gods created it as a game. Also, an irregularly shaped world reeks of magic and mystery. No one really knows what lies beyond or beneath it's edge...

2 - I decided to place the temples on the outskirts of the world on equal intervals to uphold the story convention that the world is supported by the flow of mana alone, and that these act as "pillars" holding the plane together. It's by no means final, and there's alot of space beyond and between these temples, it's really just more of an issue of deciding what landmarks we will have and where do they go (which paths can connect them, regardless of geographic locations). The asthetic map may have two cities at a different angle, or on different continents, or different distances, but as long as paths still connect in the ways shown on the original diagram, the world is at least mechanically fair to all the kingdoms.

Anyhow, it's all just speculation, and if enough people think otherwise, of course we can change it. I just want you to know that we actually did think all this stuff through once or twice before jotting it down.
The Mana World System Coordinator.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

r

Post by Bear »

i propose that we use a flat map style with only a few continents, or just one. In time, we can add in new Continents and countries by Chapters or add them in with specail quests and stories to them.

And the map should be faded or fogged, at points where there is nothing to foreshadow new land to be discovered
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Talaroc wrote:
Problem with that: the temples. They all need to be present at the start, and they can't all be in the desert kingdom (which is going to be renamed to not be a blatant ripoff of Warcraft). Plus, Bjørn is right: we need a plan to start out with, a template to build upon. RO builds piece-by-piece, and while that gives them endless expansion potential, it also summons the poor-planning demon in some areas, and we don't want to have to deal with that.
Wasn't really serious about it, just wanted to point out that not EVERYTHING has to be defined at this point on, things can still dynamically evolve before being locked up. :)
WakkaCraft
Peon
Peon

Post by WakkaCraft »

My thought would be to have the temples reletively close together, (say you want to learn magic from temples that aren't next to eachother? how long should you have to spend getting there?) and all accessable conviniently by new players. (i.e. not needing to choose running like a madman through a difficult area and taking the way roundabout way.
"No! that is very wrong! Cling to your pathetic fable of fluid exchange!"

All the answers to your questions about life can be found in the book of Mark, chapter 17. Go ahead. Look it up.