Large drops in HP with no red damage message

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Sanga
Novice
Novice

Large drops in HP with no red damage message

Post by Sanga »

Sometimes while fighting, HP will drop by a large amount, but there's no corresponding red damage message to show why.

I chased this one down - the root problem is that when the server determines that a "critical" hit has occurred, the message is sent to the client with a type of 0x0a, rather than the type of 0 for a normal hit. The current eAthena client does not interpret this type, and so no red damage message is generated.

(From what I can tell, a "critical" hit is always for the max damage that the creature can deliver, hence the large drop)

The question is: fix it in the client (adding one line to "src/net/beinghandler.cpp"), or in the eAthena server (changing three lines in "src/map/battle.c")? A change to the client is simpler, but until everyone updates to the new version the issue won't really be resolved.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Large drops in HP with no red damage message

Post by Crush »

That's definitely something which should be fixed client-sided.

Which monster can you suggest for testing?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Sanga
Novice
Novice

Post by Sanga »

Crush wrote:That's definitely something which should be fixed client-sided.

Which monster can you suggest for testing?
I used the Flowers - they seem to throw a fairly large number of criticals (I've seen this from other monsters, but the Flowers seem to do so fairly regularly). Try it with level 30ish character with best-available armor, but no weapon equipped so you only do 1 point of damage even when you do hit, and the flower's normal hits do little damage.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Fixed in latest SVN.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.