Quest NPC Indication

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Quest NPC Indication

Post by Dr Wahl »

I thought it would be a good idea to mark in some what, when and which NPCs have quests for you. Using one of the scrolls I drew up earlier, I drew up a quick sketch of what I am thinking.

I was not exactly sure about the arrow part pointing at the npc, and when I scaled down the scroll, it made it a bit blurry (not sure why exactly). The point is, it would be neat to have some indication of which NPCs have quests and which ones do not.

Good? Bad? Suggestions?
Len
Knight
Knight

Re: Quest NPC Indication

Post by Len »

Its rather difficult to make out that it is a scroll
Pixel Battalion
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

Maybe I shoulda posted the original scroll(s) I was thinking of.

Image Image Image

These, of course, are just suggestions (and items I had readily available). I thought about the generic golden "!", but World of Warcraft has overdone that one. I am hoping that my sad attempt to draw up something will inspire someone with more talent than myself :)
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

I wouldn't Scale down the scroll after placing it over the npcs head!
I also don't think that little arrow is necessary
Pixel Battalion
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

I think I agree Len. The scroll itself should stand out enough alone without indication to who it is indicating. Maybe a scroll isn't the best idea. Any suggestions for other objects to stick over an NPC to indicate they have a quest?

The second half of this whole concept is whether or not the server can handle it. Maybe this is also the formal request to the devs ;) I'm not sure how it would be accomplished exactly, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult for the devs to figure out.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I don't think that questgivers should be indicated like that. I think it rather hurts the roleplay atmosphere when you exactly know which NPCs are "important" and which can be safely ignored.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Crush wrote:I don't think that questgivers should be indicated like that. I think it rather hurts the roleplay atmosphere when you exactly know which NPCs are "important" and which can be safely ignored.
Note that in Diablo the NPCs did that and it was extremely helpful, but mainly because the NPCs were there all the time and would have a quest for you at some point of progressing through the game. If they wouldn't indicate they wanted to talk to you (with a glowing question mark above their head as far as I can remember), then you'd have to continuously talk to all NPCs to see if they've got anything new to say.

For now I'd also say we don't need this indication, unless the world starts being more dynamic and random NPCs are suddenly going to come up with something they need. Once we do that, we should make this visible.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

On top of that, it would be nice and handy if the player could filter which of the indicators would be visible.
This message used to be meaningful.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

:roll: Bump
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
kasra5004
Peon
Peon

Post by kasra5004 »

I think it weakens the rpg factor, even if we make it optional , It`s quite unfair.
Enchilado!
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Enchilado! »

I think that if you know which NPCs give you quests it just ruins it. You're supposed to run around talking to them all to see. And what about NPCs like the cupboard with the Demon Mask Ritual on it? Will that have one?

~exactly.
Enchilado
octalot
Novice
Novice

Post by octalot »

(I'm in favour of visible indicators.)

Old players will have already talked to a lot of NPCs.
If an existing NPC has a quest added to them, please move them 4-5 tiles; so they're still in about the same place but old players will have a hint to talk to them again.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

What about giving an indication if you get close enough (like right next to them)?
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

jaxad0127 wrote:What about giving an indication if you get close enough (like right next to them)?
Gets my support.
This message used to be meaningful.
Enchilado!
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Enchilado! »

What about.... talking to them, and trying to find out? Nah, that's waaaay to original.

~sigh,
Enchilado