Magic Skill Icons

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Magic Skill Icons

Post by Dr Wahl »

That would be awesome! That one definitely gets my vote. My only concern is, would that be too detailed of a picture for such a small icon? I guess that is why we pay the artists the big bucks. :)

The only concern with using that would be that we would be taking Greek mythology into the game, which I thought it was chatted about some where on here that using ancient stuff from real life might conflict with TMW's history. So, maybe we could write up our own history that includes a similar concept.
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

what about an ankh for life/healing (or something that looks like it) ...
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

or how about combining the ankh, with a cross and the aries astrology symbol ...
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

I don't see a problem integrating the Rod of Asclepius or Red Cross symbol in to TMW's setting. Enough of it is inspired by real life, that I don't see how it could diminish the atmosphere. I would say, either just the Rod, Snake, and Wings.. or an open hand with a cross symbol or ankh on the palm.

Any ideas about where these icons will be displayed in the game?
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

For me also something abstract could do it, something like a green glow or something.
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

Taking all your comments into account:

Earth
I would go for a mountain, definatly.. if by earth is meant the landscape. Its recognizable. Other things might easly be mistaken for the Nature discipline. However, if earth as in clay, we need something else...

Iron
I think I would go for the iron-ore. I'm not sure if I would draw it the same way as the much-wanted ingame iron ore (3 blocks of metal). I also thought of an anvil, but see note below about profession items.

Considering consistency I would use the 3 blocks symbolizing iron-ore also used in the games.

Healing
Now this is a tough one. I like the snake idea, however it is rather detailed compared to the other graphics so far, but ofcourse we could only do the top-part. An ankh, I didn't even know it was associated with healing :) I'm not sure that is a clear symbol. I still like the simple heart symbol... though much used, but therefor also very clear, but nobody else seems to support that. I'm not sure if I would use any medical instruments or items... because in my understanding the healing discipline is about magic and spells (or not?) so I doubt is such profession items would be used. I was also thinking about a open-hand, with a radiance of light centered around its palm. I think that just a radiance like Elven suggested is too abstract considering the other icons. So, this one still stays undecided.

Dave: They would, as far as I know, be shown infront of the level of any of these skills in your skill-dialog.

I also was wondering, is there an explanation of all of these desciplines. what is their focus? Of some its quite clear, but others I'm not sure (like 'earth')...
"I'm a Mog, half man, half dog... I'm my own best friend!" - Barf

My blog
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Earth is more earth as stone, clay or dirt than earth as geography.

Using the iron ore graphic to symbolize metal magic doesn't seem sufficient to me, either. Most metal spells conjure blades and projectiles to attack the enemy. So how about symbolizing it with a shuriken?

You don't seem to be very well-informed about the elemental concept of The Mana World, so please let me recommend you a few wiki articles to read:
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Elements
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Magic_system
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Prehistory
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

Thanks Crush for the references! I should have looked at the wiki some more.

You know I forgot about those icons in the wiki. They're very nice, who draw them? I think they are better than mine ;) I'll read through it.

My blog
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I think yours look better.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
GonzoDark
Warrior
Warrior

Post by GonzoDark »

Crush wrote:I think yours look better.
me2 - and keep up the good work ;-)

// GonzoDark
IchigoBlack (86) a.k.a GonzoDark (80) || HolyManaClan

Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

Here is lightning.
Attachments
lightning.png
lightning.png (2.66 KiB) Viewed 3349 times

My blog
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

Othello,

very nice icons overall-- I quite like your style. However, ever since Chrono Trigger I have held the firm belief that lightning should be yellow, not purple ;-)

EDIT: I played around with the icon a bit, and came to the conclusion that yours looks far better than any yellow-ish variation I could come up with.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

fate wrote:Othello,

very nice icons overall-- I quite like your style. However, ever since Chrono Trigger I have held the firm belief that lightning should be yellow, not purple ;-)

EDIT: I played around with the icon a bit, and came to the conclusion that yours looks far better than any yellow-ish variation I could come up with.
Fate on this I would have to disagree here is an example (My most favorite picture hanging on my wall today)

"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

The background is purple, the lightning itself is white :). I have added a little yellow to the margins of the lightning. Not too much though...
Attachments
lightning.png
lightning.png (2.63 KiB) Viewed 3028 times

My blog
Dawn
Novice
Novice

Post by Dawn »

For healing, how about a green cross? if you can't have red, have green.