Magic Skill Icons

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Len
Knight
Knight

Re: Magic Skill Icons

Post by Len »

Dawn300387 wrote:For healing, how about a green cross? if you can't have red, have green.
Or a ray of light
Pixel Battalion
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

I still like the healing hand idea, like open palm with a golden halo behind it.
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Black Don wrote:I still like the healing hand idea, like open palm with a golden halo behind it.
That could work too
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

One more before I go to sleeeepp: Air
Attachments
air.png
air.png (2.27 KiB) Viewed 2795 times
"I'm a Mog, half man, half dog... I'm my own best friend!" - Barf

My blog
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

A tornado or some symbol for wind might work better
Pixel Battalion
And1

Post by And1 »

Hey,

iIt looks cute, but rather like a cute sheep. =)

Tornado is a good idea... or maybe orientate on the wind-icon in the wiki, I like it. =)

// Andi
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

Well, I've edited air, and I have 3 contenders.
- The cloud
- The jet, kinda like as in the wiki
- A tornado... I also have a version of the tornado with just the vortex

Personally I'd go for the cloud or the jet
Attachments
air-tornado.png
air-tornado.png (2.61 KiB) Viewed 2698 times
air-cloud.png
air-cloud.png (2.27 KiB) Viewed 2502 times
air.png
air.png (2.5 KiB) Viewed 2713 times
"I'm a Mog, half man, half dog... I'm my own best friend!" - Barf

My blog
And1

Post by And1 »

I like the third... it's simple and looks really good. =)
Shaili (a.k.a. tds)
Novice
Novice

Post by Shaili (a.k.a. tds) »

I simply love the first, but also the third looks good ^^
Ingame I am: Shaili, Lv. 9X

Image Proud Italian TMW Player

Image You can find me on Last.fm
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

third- it is instantly recognizable and works nicely with the other magic icon
Pixel Battalion
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

My definite yes on the jet too.

The fire and water icons should go through a bit of polishing first, though. (They're kind of unfinished in comparison to the fluency of the other icons presented.)
This message used to be meaningful.
And1

Post by And1 »

Hey,

the background of the water icon should be more blueish I think... maybe a darker blue then the one from the wind-icon... brown should be the earth-skill-icon...

The others are nice, the fire could be a little higher left and right... sorry for this bad explanation, hope you know what I mean. =)

// Andi
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

I agree with where And1 is going with his statement about the color of the water symbol's background. The background should be colored to reflect the element, but should be darker than the symbol. (like he said, dark blue for water, not brown) Related to that, has there recently been any discussion toward making a finalized color-coding for the elements? Now might be the perfect opportunity.

my suggestion:
Water = blue
Ice = white
Air = yellow
Lightning = purple
Fire = red
Metal = gray
Earth = brown
Plant = green

I don't know how everyone else feels, but I'd like to see the icons without the light source.
Othello wrote:You know I forgot about those icons in the wiki.
I think Modanung made those for use as SMALL icons. (with the exception of the lightning symbol, which I made later) That's why they look ugly, at that size. My previous symbol for Earth was a mountain, but everyone flamed it. Jerks. :cry:

As for healing magic, I still think it's sort of goofy to separate them from the elements in this manner, without having an opposite for it, like "necromancy" (or "death" if you want to refer to healing as "life" magic).. Maybe we could have physical magic (the elements) and ..meta magic (life, death, time, space) :?

I'm in the process of fixing up the history again, so I could probably explain the "advent of the healing arts" as a newer kind of magic, working outside the physical realm. If we did want to use some fictional symbol to represent healing, I could surely plug it in the story.

So if anyone has any suggestions for a more original (but recognizable) symbol for healing magic, let's have em. Otherwise, if we're forced to go with a cliché .. my vote is for a hand with a "medical cross" on the palm.. and let's stop trying to pretend the Red Cross is going to sue us for copyright infringement. :roll:
And1

Post by And1 »

Dave,

you suggestion sounds great, but I really can't imagine a yellow air-icon... as already said, I really like it with this light blue... =)

Why do you think it should be yellow? =)

// Andi
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

mainly so we're not using two blue colors.. I'm reminded of Final Fantasy 4's Fiend of Air, which was yellow.. (I think the tornado attack had some yellow in it as well..) Also, in Taz-Mania, "the sky is always yellow, rain or shine"

but again.. mainly to avoid using more than one blue. :D .. I suppose on that note, someone could strive to argue white and gray for ice and metal. :S