Flowers not defending themselves properly

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Vink
Warrior
Warrior

Flowers not defending themselves properly

Post by Vink »

Hello! My sister found a bug, sorry if it's already known, but I tried to search to see if it was already mentioned somewhere but didn't find anything.

When you attack flowers with a mêlée weapon (I tested with the short sword but I've seen someone do it with a scythe) while not standing too close to it, it just stands there as if it was not under attack.

This must be a bug, right?
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Flowers not defending themselves properly

Post by fate »

Hi,

this sounds as if their attack range was less than that of a scythe. Perhaps this monster should be re-balanced (also considering that it is one of the best-- if not the best-- supplier of experience points to higher-level players).
Vink
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Vink »

No, the strange thing is that when you attack with the bow from a larger distance than with the scythe or short sword, they do defend themselves, except sometimes when it's the really long range, which is not unnatural.
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

Vink,

I have only observed the behaviour you describe when first being attacked by a flower and then moving out of range-- the flower would keep attacking. I have never been attacked by a flower if my initial missile attacks were outside of the flower's range.

I believe that you are referring to a second bug here, which there may be a solution for already: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4031

(This bug means that the server believes that you cannot move after being hit, while the client is unaware of this restriction and allows you to move client-side. I assume that the server afterwards discards your location updates since it sees you as trying to `jump' too far.)
Vink
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Vink »

EDIT: Tested using the bow again just to be sure, and you're right Fate, I was doing something wrong before, I suppose. Sorry about all this.

But I think that the flower should have some range, to compensate that it's unable to move. Seems unfair to the flower that even relatively low level players using the scythe can kill it if they're not standing too close to it. When you use the bow, at least you lose arrows.
Forge
Peon
Peon

Post by Forge »

<Removed Content>
Last edited by Forge on 06 May 2009, 18:06, edited 1 time in total.
Removed Content on 6 May 2009.
Thanks.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Forge wrote:If the path-length get a negative bonus, that might explain why you can still be hit after a run of 2 screens or more in the mine: hit-path glued on the walls...
No, this has an entirely different reason. When you are hit you are stopped for a brief moment on the server but you can walk normally on the client. This can lead to a large asynchronisation when you are hit a lot.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Sanga
Novice
Novice

Post by Sanga »

Forge wrote:hello, a bit of reopening for flowers... but it might affect other monster as well... according to BlackBird player

The attack range of monsters seems to be longer when there is obstruction around. Easier to test on flower which do not move (but do not always counter-attack :shock: ).

If the path-length get a negative bonus, that might explain why you can still be hit after a run of 2 screens or more in the mine: hit-path glued on the walls...
The "longer range when there is an obstruction around" business is a result of some silliness in the eAthena code - if you attack with a ranged weapon (bow), and the path between you and the target is blocked by an obstruction, the server is moving you to a new position right on top of the mob. But the client never shows this move, so it appears to you that your are being attacked from out of range.

The "...can still be hit after a run of 2 screens or more" is an entirely different issue - after taking a hit, you are "locked" in that spot for a certain period of time, as far as the server is concerned. But the client doesn't recognize this, and is allowing you to move. This results in your position on the server being (potentially very) different from your position as shown on the client.

A server patch has been submitted to eliminate the first issue (http://mantis.themanaworld.org/view.php?id=320), and a client patch to reduce the effects of the second (http://mantis.themanaworld.org/view.php?id=316).