Magic Skill Icons

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

And1

Re: Magic Skill Icons

Post by And1 »

Hey Dave,

I like the idea of white (maybe with a minimal lightblue gradient - blue again ^^) for ice... and gray for metal is also nice (with this glass effect it will look good, I think)...

Nice arguments for the yellow air-icon... I only say in my opinion a light blue (as already said, the water should be dark) will look better. =)

Maybe we have a look at an example with a yellow background soon. =)

// Andi
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

I'm not going to make a big deal out of the color-thing, if everyone ends up getting crazy about the notion to use yellow for air, etc.. but I think it'd be a good idea to try to avoid using the same colors, however reasonably possible.

So back on topic for a moment, here are my thoughts on the symbols we don't have:

Plant (leaf)
Earth (mountain or chasm)
Metal ( :? someone suggested a nut.. how about an anvil?)
Ice (Icicle or maybe Image)

also, regarding the bolt symbol. I think it's too many bolts.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

Dave wrote:I'm not going to make a big deal out of the color-thing, if everyone ends up getting crazy about the notion to use yellow for air, etc.. but I think it'd be a good idea to try to avoid using the same colors, however reasonably possible.

So back on topic for a moment, here are my thoughts on the symbols we don't have:

Plant (leaf)
Earth (mountain or chasm)
Metal ( :? someone suggested a nut.. how about an anvil?)
Ice (Icicle or maybe Image)

also, regarding the bolt symbol. I think it's too many bolts.
Plant- A leaf would be good
Earth- Chasm or so sort of rock formation ie stalagmite
Metal- Anvil might get confused with and Black Smith job skill we might want to put in later. I would suggest a metal bar or rod like a piece of rebar.
Ice- A icicle or snow flake
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

For the colors, we could move white to air, gray to ice, and yellow to metal (think gold). Or add cyan/aqua(*) to the list and save yellow for something else. Black might also work for one of the elements.
And1

Post by And1 »

Hey,

I like the snowflake for ice. A blueish snowflake on a white background will surely look good. =)

// And1
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

lots of discussion. Indeed water and fire might need some tweaking. With lighting and air I broke my own rules a bit about using border, making it less cartoony. I will ajust it once I'm done with all the icons, then I can try to bring them all into a consistent look. Also the backgrounds need some tweaking too... I do like the sphere-glassy-reflection look, so I would not want to change it. I think it would take away a bit of the magic so to speak.

About the colors. I did a yellow version, and it really takes the clarity away. See attached. I would propose using Aqua for water, and Blue for air. Attached a yellow version and a more blue (than sky-blue) version.
Attachments
air-blue2.png
air-blue2.png (2.49 KiB) Viewed 3408 times
air-yellow.png
air-yellow.png (2.54 KiB) Viewed 3608 times
"I'm a Mog, half man, half dog... I'm my own best friend!" - Barf

My blog
And1

Post by And1 »

Hey Othello,

much thanks for the examples... pity I still have to say, that I think your first wind icon looks the best of these three...

... actually it's a matter of personal taste, so there's no reason to say, that the others should accept my opinion. =)

// Andi
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

Hey andy,

Yeah, the tornado is cool, but there is too much detail in it. Reducing the detail however made it much more unclear. I attached a big version of the tornado, just for fun :).

Othello
Attachments
tornado-big.png
tornado-big.png (18.39 KiB) Viewed 3344 times

My blog
And1

Post by And1 »

Hey Othello,

yeah that's right, that there is too much detail... it's also nice. =)

But actually I was talking about this one: Image

Sorry for this misunderstanding. =)

// And1
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

I think most of us like that one best.. I would not go for yellow

My blog
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

Not that I expect much of a change in anyone's perception of a yellow air symbol, but here is another example, from the board game, "Tower of the Wizard King" .. (it wasn't a very good game, but it came with some neat pieces)
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

I like the icons dave, the tornado is very clear from that picture.

I also thought of a torrent for water, but it didn't quite look as good as I wanted. I like the earth picture, its very clear. What I notice from these icons are that they all represent force or power in some way, a release of energy. If possible that is ofcourse a good thing to have in the icons. I'll first try to finish the icon-set and then maybe create another alternative for air, and water.

Whats the red sun representing? Light?

My ideas for colors:
Water = cyan
Ice = white
Air = blue
Lightning = purple
Fire = red
Metal = yellow
Earth = brown
Plant = green

My blog
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

The game used the four typical elements. The sun represents fire, though a flame would've worked just as well, or better.

I like the water symbol, but when I began hunting for that image in my backups, I had remembered it looking quite different. I can't recall where the water symbol I'm thinking of, comes from.

I like the idea of using a tornado and I prefer it over the jet / gust, which I don't find to be instantly recognizable, the way everyone else seems to. I suppose it's easy enough to interpret.. a tornado just seems more .. uh .. just more! :?

Another way to imagine symbols could use larger representations of each element.

[Plant] leaf < tree
[Water] droplet < wave
[Ice] snowflake < icicle
[Air] gust < tornado
[Lightning] bolt < bolts
[Fire] flame < sun
[Metal] :? piece of metal < larger piece of metal :oops:
[Earth] rock < mountain (though I'm still quite partial to using a chasm)

I can understand your reasoning for using cyan for water, but pure cyan is such an awful color. If we're going to ignore strict color-coding, at least shade it down to something a bit more oceany blue-green (like turquoise) :P That said, I feel the most important aspect of color-coding is to avoid reusing colors and if possible, any colors that are too similar. I understand that Cyan does not = Blue, but it's closer than I think we should get, if we're trying to avoid getting colors mixed up.

While I can understand the use of yellow for metal, something about that doesn't sit right with me. (maybe I just need time to get used to the idea)
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

For metal how about a metal sheet with rivets in it

:)
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

Well, I'll try to make some proposals for iron.

In the mean while I tinkered nature together. The problem with that every magic discipline has a color which is the same as the element means that the graphic in the icon usualy has somewhat the same color. So, should I use the same color in the icon as in the background, or should I use different colors? What do you think. Here are two variants of nature. Which you think is better? The only difference is the background color.
Attachments
nature-samebg.png
nature-samebg.png (2.22 KiB) Viewed 3227 times
nature.png
nature.png (2.26 KiB) Viewed 3226 times

My blog