Some music drafts

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Some music drafts

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

This is the work of one of my collegues. They're just drafts but feel free to start commenting on those.

http://elvenprogrammer.themanaworld.org ... sic/draft/
Othello
Novice
Novice

Re: Some music drafts

Post by Othello »

Hmm...

Well... I like the use of instruments, the variation.

However

Is it me, or does it sound like the instruments are all computer generated. I miss a 'real' touch of it, its too shrill (edit: was shallow). I miss the low tones.

The trumpet should be improved too... it hurts my ears... other than than its sometimes just chaotic... I miss melodic consistency. I know I'm not much of a musician either, but I don't really like em.

Sorry I can't be more positive. :S
"I'm a Mog, half man, half dog... I'm my own best friend!" - Barf

My blog
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

These seem to be aimed more at one time single player story telling than creating ambience.

Per design they just state too much.

Hostaria provides an exception for this, it could be developed into a nice theme for a pub.
This message used to be meaningful.
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

Rotonen wrote: Hostaria provides an exception for this, it could be developed into a nice theme for a pub.
My sentiments exactly...

Though I think the main issue with the other tracks is that they're kind of erratic. I think if quantising has been used, it's a little off in 03 - TheBattle

However, I think the compositional approach is fitting. The instrumentation is good for the visual style of the game, matching well game of a similar visual style. (stylistically similar to the dwarven mines tracks in Secret of Mana for example...)
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

I thought the dwarven mine was the worst :) its nice for a while... but not after 2 minutes... my goodness. I still hear it in my darkest dreams... :cry:

However Hostaria was indeed the best. Maybe it has to do with the fact that there are no trumpets in it ;).

I do think the instruments should be rendered with a better wavetable, and some post-editing/fx it might improve it quite a bit.

My blog
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

At the conceptualization and composing stage of a song, the rendering is almost completely irrelevant. Please do try to keep aware of this fact.
This message used to be meaningful.
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

Okay, yes, you are right ofcourse. Maybe I was a bit harsh. I guess my opinion is that I think its a bit too chaotic (most of them its hard to find the melody), and I miss some bass. I can't say much more until I hear a 'production quality' rendering.

My blog