Too many experience points awarded in party combat

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Too many experience points awarded in party combat

Post by fate »

Hi,

I was recently awarded first 507 and then 548 experience points when fighting (individual) mountain snakes. In both cases, the snakes had received minimal damage from another character travelling with me. My guess is that the code responsible for splitting up experience points between different players is to blame.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Too many experience points awarded in party combat

Post by Crush »

The server adds (afaik) 25% experience to a monster for each attacker to encourage teamplay.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Sanga
Novice
Novice

Post by Sanga »

fate wrote:Hi,

I was recently awarded first 507 and then 548 experience points when fighting (individual) mountain snakes. In both cases, the snakes had received minimal damage from another character travelling with me. My guess is that the code responsible for splitting up experience points between different players is to blame.
Crush wrote:The server adds (afaik) 25% experience to a monster for each attacker to encourage teamplay.
Crush has the right idea, but it's not a simple 25%. Instead, the total experience awarded is based on the number of players who have done damage to the monster.

1 Player = 100%
2 Players = 110%
3 Players = 120%
4 Players = 130%
5 Players = 140%
6 or more Players = 150%

This is multiplied by the base exp, and then apportioned to the different players based on the actual amount of damage done.

So in your examples, with 2 players you get a possible 550 exp (110% of the 500 base exp for Mountain Snakes). You did the overwhelming majority of damage, so you got the bulk of that.
hoogli
Peon
Peon

Post by hoogli »

I think the fact that teamplay increases experience given should be mentioned in the wiki, but I'm not sure exactly where to put it, or how to word it.