Tent thing

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Insert Name Here
Peon
Peon

Tent thing

Post by Insert Name Here »

The nomads are always complaining about their lack of proper accommodation, so as a first experiment I tried a tent. How badly did I do? :)

EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Re: Tent thing

Post by EJlol »

I think it's a bit to small for them.
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

How badly did I do?
Bah. Don't be so negative. At least it looks like a tent.

Were you just sketching to test the idea or did you picture this somewhere in the game? If so, where? If you imagine it as normal scenery, as EJlol observed, the problem is clearly its size.

I'm not sure how new you are to the project, but you should keep tabs on the playerset as a size reference, whenever you're making scenery.. obviously, you can also compare to the size of existing scenery.

We're trying to preemptively say "No" to anything shaped too much like a pup tent or tipi. What we'd really like for any "desert nomads" would be something similar in functionality (probably something collapsible) but original in overall style.

Maybe instead of nomads using tents, they could keep an assortment of caves to shift between. So sometimes, you'll enter one of these caves and find no one, but other times there might be a person or group of people, temporarily taking refuge within.

This is getting off topic about tents, but is generally relevant to nomadic shelter options.
a preview of the book, Shelters, Shacks & Shanties
Insert Name Here
Peon
Peon

It was an experiment more than anything else. Anything bigger that around 60x60 suddenly becomes too complicated.
Thank you for commenting.
Insert Name Here
Peon
Peon

Thanks for the references. I did this before I had a look: Attempt #2 with bigger size.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The perspective is very uncommon for TMW.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Insert Name Here
Peon
Peon

This tent should have the correct perspective. (It's 45 degrees, I cheated slightly, used a 3D program :oops: )

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

here is the perspective reference again:
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.