Jungle Action Music

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Jungle Action Music

Post by feline monstrosity »

I love The Mana World, and so I wanted to contribute. Unfortunately I couldn't code a toaster to switch on, so I decided to make some music.

One day you awesome developer people will make a jungle section for The Mana World. And when you do, you'll have some music prepared already!

From reading the other music threads (of which there are numerous, you have no shortage of music for your game!) I gathered that electronic sounding stuff isn't what you want, so I kept any synthesizers at arms length. I made it all using Garageband, but I don't know how to make it loop, so if anyone does and if you need it to loop then I can upload the garageband file.

So, here you are:
MP3 | Ogg
~Feline Monstrosity
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Jungle Action Music

Post by Crush »

I quite like it, but i think it is a bit too hectic (maybe just reduce the bpm a bit) and it could use a bit mastering.

Oh, and could you please try to find a less annoying filehosting service?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Thanks for the comment! I have reduced the BPM by 10 and I agree that it sounds much better now.
It would be marvelously useful if you could be more specific than just "mastering", since I'm not sure exactly what needs changing.
Also until you find me a less annoying upload site I'll continue to use this one because it's the least annoying one I can find. Rapidshare is really annoying because of the confusing code typing business, Mediafire seems to crash after uploading my files and I can't figure out how to use Megaupload.

So, here you are then: MP3 | Ogg
~Feline Monstrosity
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

I like it, sounds very jungleish. Although the flute sounds like it moves a bit too fast, but that may just be me, and it sounds good anyways.
And I think the ending is too abrupt stopping so suddenly, since the end of the song isn't when you stop playing. I don't have the program you use, so I wouldn't be able to fix the ending myself, but I can tell you how it would need to be done.
when you get close to the end, stop some of the instruments playing, and just go with the instruments you start the song with (it starts with just the drumb). And also, the end of the song has some blank air, use that space to lead back into the beginning.

But what do I know! :D

And your file host does suck, so I uploaded your latest version of the .ogg file to Mediafire. Link
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Thanks. The ending is where it should loop back to where the bass clarinet first comes in, but I don't know how to do that.

Here: MP3 | Ogg
Last edited by feline monstrosity on 02 May 2008, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.
~Feline Monstrosity
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

Nice job feline :)

Stylistically very competent and the percussion is very jungle-like with plenty of variation, which is great for a track that needs to loop a lot!

The simple tempo alteration was probably the one best adjustment between this and your initial one, calming it a little (it's maintained pace, but more comfortably now)

I have a Mac G3 sitting around which I used to use for an excellent free audio editor called Soundhack. (you might wanna check this out along with Audacity - have a look at Othello's thread titled 'Open Source / Free software for music authoring' in Sound Development forum... some links are there)

EJlol, good find on box.net! Rapidshare isn't much fun lol

feline, for looping, try loading this in .wav or .aif format into Audacity (once you install). Then crop out everything from 1:48.892 to end of track (I think you can manually type the time in for the cursor to jump to, then select everything from that point to end and deleting) and the track should now loop happily, but you'll find that the instrumental intensity suddenly drops between the end of the track and the beginning when it loops. You could pop a bar or two of percussion at the end of the track which sounds similar to the opening of the track.

Hope that helps a little when it comes to looping. I'm sorry, I don't know the ins and outs of Audacity, but I reckon Othello will be able to help you out a little more on this?

I see you mentioned about looping the track from part-way through the song. I think this would fall to the audio scripting. As far as I know, I don't think you can build that kind of looping behaviour into an .ogg file. Maybe a .wav or .aif possibly, but doubtful even there...
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Yeah, I use Audacity already but I'll certainly check out Soundhack.

Hmm, I had the idea of looping to part way through because I noticed that was how it was done in Cave Story, but if that's too much trouble I'll just do what you said.

EDIT: Oops, I just realized I'd uploaded the earlier, faster version to Box.net. I've rectified that now and edited my earlier post.
~Feline Monstrosity