Cannon Travel

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Graham
Peon
Peon

Re: Cannon Travel

Post by Graham »

On travel by Airship: If this is done I would like to see a region added that cannot be reached by Airship travel. For example: A region of the wilderness (a valley perhaps) perpetually covered by a blanket of storms that are too unpredictable to allow for travel in any way other than foot travel on a magical-lamp lit path. I'm also wondering how this would work; Would you be able to land anywhere? Would you be able to travel with other people in your ship? Would the Airships be really expensive and/or require special quested materials to build? I put these three questions in because my answer for all of them is Yes in an ideal situation and I wonder what everyone's thoughts are on them.

On travel by Cannon: I like the idea of having one (ONLY ONE) with very few options put in the beginning city, or a nearby city perhaps. Make it so you have to buy the safety equipment (a parachute) to use it however, and make it (since there is only one) one way travel.
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

My thought about most of these modes of travel is that they would be services offered by NPCs, rather than things that are personally available for the players to acquire. I think it'd be difficult to portray airship travel with any level of player freedom. Think about how Flammie worked in SoM.. Now turn him in to an Airship and give one to everyone. Seems like the sky would be overcrowded.

For that reason, I had imagined the possibility of only having one airship in the entire world.. it would follow a continual route around the world, making the same stops over and over again. (if you've played Flashback, this could be compared to the taxi-sequence)

A place where the airship certainly can't go? Under water. :wink: :roll: :P

Again, I'm trying to imagine these as services rather than possessions.
Graham
Peon
Peon

Post by Graham »

Now that clears up a lot of things, I had no idea it was a service.

Another idea for the cannon: Put it in a (traveling?) carnival, it's a fitting place for a cannon. Make it so that the PCs have to do a quest before the ride owner will let them blast off.
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

At one point, I had imagined having a carnival area somewhere in the southern area of the starting continent. I'm not sure if it will ever be made, but your suggestion makes me look at the idea a bit differently.

If the cannon was one of the few ways to leave the starting continent, it'd give you a reason to travel to the carnival, other than to play games. Depending on how it's done, the carnival itself could be like part of your reward for finishing the first continent, before you blast off somewhere else.

Good suggestion to help the cannon idea.
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

I still like the mail yourself idea, because its fairly simple to implement, and you can only travel to towns where there is a post-office. I know its a bit goofy,but it is fun. The more stuff you have, the heavier you weight, the more you have to pay :D.

Ofcourse you can also add a few other means of travel over the globe, like cannon or tribuchet travel (maybe this is even required to make it to the cloud island).

Other ideas:
- Magic travel... have to pay a wizard.
- Rent-a-horse travel.
- Bird travel.. need something like a flute
"I'm a Mog, half man, half dog... I'm my own best friend!" - Barf

My blog
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

The topic was "Cannon Travel".

No result is to be seen. (My opinion: no.)

Make a thread "Public Transportation" and we'll see this conversation (hopefully) in a bit more organized fashion. The first post of the thread really has an impact on the quality of the thread. Also offtopicing makes it inefficient. Hence locking this one.
This message used to be meaningful.