`Ignore' interface

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

What should the system display for ignored players who try to talk to you?

Nothing at all (I don't even want to know that they are talking)
24%
Some visual cue, but no floating text
9%
Some fake floating text, such as `...', over their head
24%
A special icon floating over their head
32%
Something completely different (please explain)
No votes
I want to decide this individually for each ignored player
12%

Total votes: 34
fate
Warrior
Warrior

`Ignore' interface

Post by fate »

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to put together a small patch that allows players to selectively ignore other players. However, the current user interface is less than elegant and has received some deserved criticism. In order to improve the UI, I would like to ask for suggestions, and in particular for ways in which you expect to use this patch, once it is made available.

First, players are ignored (in the current interface) by right-clicking on them and then choosing `ignore' or `disregard', or otherwise `un-ignore'. These options pick different levels of ignoring that I won't go into yet.
Current `ignore list' maintenance UI
Current `ignore list' maintenance UI
ignore-ui-0.png (106.47 KiB) Viewed 4044 times
The above image shows the current (in-development) `ignore' interface. The list of players you can see here (again apologies to the players I randomly picked to fill this list) is the list of all players that your client knows about (i.e., I picked all of these players by right-click `Ignore' or right-click `Disregard'); the little checkboxes indicate whether these players are allowed to perform a certain action (in order: emote, talk (floating text), talk (to the chat log), whisper (private messages), offer trades). Below are further options for deleting players from the list, and, in particular, to trigger certain behaviour when another player is being ignored (to notify you that you still have them on your ignore list)-- either do nothing, or print "..." over their head, or make their name blink.

As you can see, the interface is very complex. I have found a certain selection of uses of options for myself that I consider practical and reasonable, but I would be very interested in hearing what options you would expect to use in practice.

EDIT
The five options in the above image are as follows:
  • `sml' : allow emoticons
  • `chat': allow chat messages to float over the head of whoever said them
  • `log': log chat messages to your chat log
  • `whs': allow whispers (private messages)
  • `trd': allow trade requests
Last edited by fate on 04 May 2008, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Re: `Ignore' interface

Post by EJlol »

I actually only expects 3 options:
Ignore
Hide
Uningnore / Unhide

Ignore:
I do not want to see the following things: Chat, Chatlog, Smilies, Trade, Whisper.

Hide:
Same as ignore but also hide his sprite. (some people walk around you all the time just to annoy you)

All those extra options are fine but I dont think I'll use them.
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

EJlol,

completely ignoring a player's sprite would be a very extreme form of ignoring, but it might backfire (-> dropstealing, arrows coming out of nowhere, ...). I therefore don't expect to add this feature.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

I would like to now if some one is talking with a visual cue like an empty word balloon just encase I ignored someone out of spite and forgot that I ignored them. ;)
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Items popping out of nowhere isn't a problem for me. About the dropstealing part you are right. Still I like to see that as an option. And maybe you can show his sprite for 2 seconds when he does a "action". Like when he attacks something, pick something up or drop something?
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

Hi,

Don, the idea of a floating image seems to make more sense than the `...' text we have now, as that would avoid confusion.

EJlol, I don't think that the server provides all the information needed to show a player when that player picks something up. For attacking, that would be possible, though. I am still not convinced, but if there are others who believe that this would be a `good thing' to have, I could add it...
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Well you can always use some of these ideas for TMWserv if eathena doesn't support it. I like the idea for those floating images. Why also not use a floating image for trading?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I also think that all the different forms of ignoring are quite overkill. Ignoring someone should either block all ways of communication (normal chat, private chat, trading and emoticons) or what is blocked from ignored characters and what isn't could be set for all characters together.

Regarding hiding the sprite of the ignored character: I agree with fate that it is not a good idea to do this.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Graham
Peon
Peon

Post by Graham »

I think it would be hilarious if I could set it to ignore someone and make them say "I'm a n00beh" every time they say something.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

Here is how a word balloon might look

and here is the balloon file for you Fate :)

"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The guys from the TMW fork Legend of Mazzeroth are currently working on displaying the say texts in speech balloons.

OT: Those screenshots look interesting, Black Don. Are these your maps? Especially the woodland screenshot looks really beautiful.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

Crush wrote:The guys from the TMW fork Legend of Mazzeroth are currently working on displaying the say texts in speech balloons.

OT: Those screenshots look interesting, Black Don. Are these your maps? Especially the woodland screenshot looks really beautiful.

No they are just back grounds I slapped together in Gimp to test my clothes on :)

I always thought it should be like a cross roads were criminals could be publicly punished in a midevil cage hanging on a dead tree
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

Don,

this looks excellent; thank you very much! :-) But the contrast seems a little low against white background; if it's not too much trouble, could you add an outline, please? (The outline needn't be completely opaque, since the icon should not stand out _too_ much.)

Seeing how the poll is going, I am beginning to think that it is defensible to always use the icon, eliminate the GUI choices to pick anything else, but leave in some of the code for some of the alternatives for people who care enough to manually edit their config file.

Thanks again! :-)
peavey
Novice
Novice

Post by peavey »

fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

peavey,

perhaps you are right; I should try this with a dropdown widget first. That will unclutter the UI without eliminating the options.