Map suggestion for the new server ...

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

zick
Novice
Novice

Map suggestion for the new server ...

Post by zick »

I don't know if you can do this with eAthena, or do I care since we aren't going to be using it in the future ... But I thought a map should have it's own drop table that amplifies/modifies a monster's drop table. Example: When you're in an ore cave monsters would drop ores more frequently than other items because it's a natural resource that the monster may have come across in his time there. Or in a forest, a monster will drop more "foresty" items like berries, twigs, herbs, etc. I would almost go so far as to say that only maps should have drop tables, and not monsters (unless of course its an item that a monster is actually using like an imp or troll with a knife or helmet could possibly drop that). It's more of a natural resource thing as opposed to the current method.

Another map idea is a map classification system, that defines a map as a certain type allowing/restricting certain races/equipment to travel on that map. A couple of examples: Remember that cave in FF2 where you could only wear leather/cloth clothing and use wooden weapons because of the magnetism in the cave. Or how about on desert maps you don't want to wear heavy armor because of the heat, or vise versa, on a snowy map you don't want to go prancing around in your underpants. What if certain maps were poison marshes or spiky rocks that would cause damage if a player didn't have shoes on. How about for the fish people (tritans) can travel on maps that are underwater or at least moist like a watery cave or a marsh while they can't travel into the desert (without special equipment). Same goes for regular humans, they can't go underwater without diving equipment. Finally, high above the earth (cloud maps) gravity is less effective allowing you to carry more stuff or wield weapons/armor that is normally too heavy for you, and vise versa, the closer you get to the core the heavier items are because gravity is stronger.

Discuss amongst yourselves ...
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Map suggestion for the new server ...

Post by Crush »

Regarding map influence on monster drops: I would rather like to represent the natural resources of a map with deposites of natural resources which can be mined (ore veins, herb plants etc.)
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

zick wrote:How about for the fish people (tritans) can travel on maps that are underwater or at least moist like a watery cave or a marsh while they can't travel into the desert (without special equipment). Same goes for regular humans, they can't go underwater without diving equipment.
We have discussed the possibility of giving each race regional preference / aversion, but I don't know about requiring Tritan to wear special equipment to enter the desert. I think the best approach would be to have variations in regeneration time. Tritans regenerate slower in the desert and faster underwater. This isn't to say that regeneration couldn't be somehow modified.. just talking about base regeneration.

I only imagined accessing underwater areas using gills and some sort of water-breath magic, but under water gear might look neat. If we have equipment durability, would an underwater helmet be a risky thing to rely on? It breaks, you die..? :o

If we do require Tritan to wear equipment to go anywhere, it should apply to the entire surface, rather than just the desert. ..it would simply be a matter of making the required equipment so cool-looking, that surface-dwelling players are almost jealous that they don't need to wear it. It might be a way to give a bit of mystique to the race, since most of the game takes place above ground; like the only way to see your Tritan friend's unmasked face, is to travel underwater. I still kinda don't see it happening though.

All I have to say about item drops, is that I think it's silly when creatures drop things which they would never carry, or for that matter, never be able to carry.
"Thank goodness that scorpion had a chocolate bar, I was hungry!"
I don't care how it's done, so long as we're not doing stuff like that.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Instead of Tritans having problem in the desert, what about fire caves? We could extend this so each elements has a relm that the other element races have problems with. Ex:
  • Water: underwater
  • Fire: fire/lava areas
  • Air: Storms?
  • Earth: Underground/in the ground
Each element race would be fine in their element's area, but need special equipment in the others.
mon
Peon
Peon

Post by mon »

Another map suggestion:

How about maps with certain areas that decrease stats when not wearing a particular item. Like excessive heat or cold would decrease the hp by 1 every 3 seconds and unholy places that drain your mana.

I also like the idea of having a meeting place for non-guild members or casual players where they could just talk or trade private like gypsy camps or ranger outposts. Not like the town square where every one is sitting around. Text chatter in that places could be unreadable at times you have to resize the chat box.
a.k.a. - Achel