Magic Skill Icons

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Othello
Novice
Novice

Re: Magic Skill Icons

Post by Othello »

I would not be able to do the flare like this thouh on white. I made a white one with a cartoon flare. I think we might need to remove the shading (the white reflection in the upper-left). Though I like it it makes things unclear in some cases.
Attachments
healing2.png
healing2.png (2.8 KiB) Viewed 3433 times
Last edited by Othello on 05 May 2008, 17:43, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm a Mog, half man, half dog... I'm my own best friend!" - Barf

My blog
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

Crush wrote:I think white would be the best color for healing. Black doesn't fit at all.
I agree the halo could be a gold or yellow then
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Othello wrote:I would not be able to do the flare like this thouh on white.
You could make the effect grey instead.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

I was looking through mantis about the skill gui, and noticed there is no healing skill, now Crush named healing as a skill. If healing is not a skill it would make picking the colors easier.

Idea for earth: crystals on a rock? I've made a quick draft.
Attachments
crystal.png
crystal.png (1.77 KiB) Viewed 3328 times

My blog
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Too much detail on a such small icon. I'd like to see a rock or a crystal alone.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Source: http://themanaworld.ovh.org/TMW-icons/TMW_orbs.svg

Maybe it will be useful somehow. IMO icons have too many details now. As name suggest they should be ICONIC :)
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

I don't understand why these icons (in any form) seem to have light glare. Icons don't need glare from a light source. I'd rather they were 2d circles, instead of simulated 3d bubbles.

Maybe some, but definitely not all of Othello's icons are overly-detailed. The leaf for example.. I see nothing overly-detailed about Othello's that it needs replacing.

On the other hand, I have never been too crazy about the lightning icon.. I think it should be a single, typically shaped bolt symbol, rather than a chain of lightning.

Othello can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure he intends to finish the set, then based upon improving the flaws we nit-pick, make another attempt.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I don't think that there is anything wrong with having the glare effect. It gives a nice touch to the icons.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
redwolf
Peon
Peon

Post by redwolf »

well, as for the healing icon, why not put the fingers together (in the classic 'stop' signal) and use the radiating ball from the first draft, but in light? it seems that you got it right the first time, minus the dark background.
I am the RESTER
Come to take away your PAIN
I am an EQUALIZER
I am here to make it rain BLOOD
upon the justice unfulfilled
i give life
and i take it away
I AM THE ONE.
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

I am finishing the icon set, just a bit busy... I -> are your orbs just an example, or do you wish to replace my set? As I have stated many times before, I will alter all the icons once I'm done. Many (including lightning) will be simplified. I'm just a bit busy at the moment. From the community i wsh the following:

- Comment on healing (do we actually need an icon, since healing is not named in Mantis).
- I still need to find a good icon for earth. I can't seem to pinpoint it.

As all icons will be released as SVGs you are free to tinker with it when I've completed them.

My blog
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Post by feline monstrosity »

I typed "heal icon" into Google image search and it came up with the following:
ImageImageImageImageImage
I suggest some sort of combination of a hand or a cross or a heart.

The most obvious to me for earth is a rock. Perhaps it could be like a spire or something? Or perhaps that's too complex for it to be "iconic"
~Feline Monstrosity
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

We already agreed not to use a cross because the International Red Cross is against it. A hearth is a bit cliché in my opinion.
  • NOT a game master

ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Othello wrote:- Comment on healing (do we actually need an icon, since healing is not named in Mantis).
Healing is needed after all, I'd suggest a rounder halo instead of a star, something like the first image posted by feline monstrosity
Othello wrote:- I still need to find a good icon for earth. I can't seem to pinpoint it.
A brown rock, what would be more SoMish?
Hexico
Peon
Peon

Post by Hexico »

Crush wrote:We already agreed not to use a cross because the International Red Cross is against it. A hearth is a bit cliché in my opinion.
I do respect the Red Cross, but I suppose this means that they own all red plus signs? Really?

Also, I think all of the icons you have shown so far look fantastic. For earth, I'd just try to make a simple boulder, maybe like a 3d octagon. How you shade it is really important for making it look good though.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

How about a white cross on a red background or is everyone afraid of the Swiss Army and their knivies :lol: :P
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad