Magic Mouth

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

fate
Warrior
Warrior

Magic Mouth

Post by fate »

Hi,

here is a first attempt at a `magic mouth'; the visual representation of a spell that speaks some simple phrases:
First shot at a `magic mouth'
First shot at a `magic mouth'
magic-mouth-textured.png (1.07 KiB) Viewed 4130 times
Honestly, it looks wrong, but I cannot quite figure out what the issue is. Any help would be appreciated! :-)
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Magic Mouth

Post by Dr Wahl »

It looks a little too 2 dimensional. IMHO, there needs to be more "meat" added to it. I think the issue is that they look paper thin. This could be fixed with some shading, but I could be WAY off here.
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

Good point; it did look rather flat. Here is another attempt:
Basic mouth
Basic mouth
magic-mouth-big.png (1.07 KiB) Viewed 4036 times
After marbling:
Marbled
Marbled
magic-mouth-big-textured-2.png (1.48 KiB) Viewed 4037 times
A little better, perhaps, but now the rather simplistic top-down shading I used is more apparent. Still, it's supposed to be `magic', so maybe some odd shading might be appropriate... any thoughts?
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

I think another issue with that made it look so flat was the black outline. I did a quick hack job to try to show the difference between the image with and without the black outline. The shading needs to be redone around the border where I hacked off the outline, but I hope this helps you visualize the direction it should go a little better. Having a darker shade of than the lips can help define the edges, however, black is too dark and makes it appear 2 dimensional. I just copied some color that looked close for the top half and the bottom half, however, they definitely need to be darker in order to define where the edge is. I hope this helps!
Attachments
No outline around the mouth.
No outline around the mouth.
no-outline-magic-mouth-big-textured-2.png (1.25 KiB) Viewed 4011 times
Black outline around the mouth.
Black outline around the mouth.
magic-mouth-big-textured-2.png (1.48 KiB) Viewed 4012 times
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

Thank you for your feedback :-)

It does indeed look better without the outline (which is arguably not needed anyway, due to the `aura' effect.) I will give it another try tomorrow.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

the lower lip should be sticking out. Also maybe add some highlight to the lower lip:
http://www.wallpaperscreensavers.net/images/lips.jpg (first two lips)
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

Hi,

as suggested by Dr Wahl, I eliminated the outline within the aura effect, then tried to better approximate the lips EJlol referenced. As suggested by EJlol and Black Don, I also went for a highlight effect. Here is the base image:
Base image
Base image
magic-mouth-2aa.png (1.17 KiB) Viewed 3878 times
Here attempt #1, trying to apply a `marbling' effect again (less then convincing, to be honest; I will have to give this another try later):
Marbled image
Marbled image
magic-mouth-2aa-marbled.png (1.55 KiB) Viewed 3879 times
Attempt #2, trying to first apply a `lip' texture, then twisting the colour to look not grey but still sufficiently unnatural to suit a `magic' mouth:
Coloured image
Coloured image
magic-mouth-2aa-n-purple.png (1.35 KiB) Viewed 3881 times
Thanks again for the numerous suggestions, it seems to be getting a little better! Any further thoughts and/or suggestions?
Vink
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Vink »

Much better! :D But maybe the lower lip could be a little fuller?
Hexico
Peon
Peon

Post by Hexico »

I think it looks great. Worthy to be featured in TMW, at least in comparison to the rest of the artwork.

Maybe this is off-topic, but what do plan to use this for? A spell for speaking?
leeor_net
Novice
Novice

Post by leeor_net »

It's actually particularly good, but I have the same question as Hexico -- exactly what is the intended use of this... object?
- Leeor

"Oh, no thanks. I ate a boulder on the way in." - Shrek
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

Hi,

It is for a `magic mouth', as per

http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... gic_system

Please note that this is a PROPOSAL only at this point. While the patches referenced within are operational (or at least were operational the last time I tried them), they need more testing, and might still be partially or fully rejected for being inherently broken in some previously unobserved manner or breaking the game balance.

-- fate
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

Hi,

updated images. My attempts at marbling have decreased in quality lately, though I have decided to blame that on the richer scale of grey I have been using. Anyway, here is the base image once more, with a slightly fuller lower lip (as suggested by Vink):
Magic Mouth (basic)
Magic Mouth (basic)
magic-mouth-3.png (945 Bytes) Viewed 3752 times
Here is the purplish version with `lip texture':
Magic Mouth (purplish)
Magic Mouth (purplish)
magic-mouth-3bc-purple.png (1.39 KiB) Viewed 3753 times
And here is an `ethereal' version:
Magic Mouth (transparent cyan-ish)
Magic Mouth (transparent cyan-ish)
magic-mouth-3bc-ethereal.png (1.52 KiB) Viewed 3753 times
Which one best fits your ideas of a `magic mouth'? Or do you have any alternate suggestions as to how it could be coloured/textured?

-- fate
leeor_net
Novice
Novice

Post by leeor_net »

I vote for the third version.
- Leeor

"Oh, no thanks. I ate a boulder on the way in." - Shrek
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

I like the gray version, more details, nice texture
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

I like the first. I think the color of the second clashes with the aura (the cyan/aqua). The third looks like a negative to me.