Cursed Items

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Cursed Items

Post by Dave »

You think it's potentially boring because it's laid back, I get bored by games where it's hard to relax.
I should have worded that differently; I'm in favor of a certain level of laid backedness, but it just seems like everyone is afraid of even small inconveniences.

I don't see how the slight possibility of encountering a cursed item can make you so agitated that you can't relax. The problem seems to be that when an obstacle is suggested, people immediately assume that they will be encountering it at an unusual rate. I can understand wanting to cut down on things like, losing points or dropping equipment as a result of dying.. but cursed items would seem to be a comparably minor obstacle.

I'm not trying to say that it's going to overtly help anyone, but why should that always be a requirement, for a feature to be considered. Considering that already more than a single person seems generally interested in the idea and that to date, the concept has been used in plenty of games.. I don't see why this should be shot down so quickly.

Here is another take on cursed items that will involve partially explaining another, unrelated idea.

I think it'd be cool for there to eventually be some sort of ongoing, automated treasure-hunting quest. Collectors / researchers / etc .. across the world could collect different items, so you might have to talk to a few known collectors before you find a buyer for your item. Cursed items, which are impractical for normal use.. (sort of like the previous example; huge benefits to one score with crippling penalties to another) might be one of the typical items accepted by some eccentric NPC.

I never originally planned to suggest that with cursed items, just thought it would be a way to plug in some backhanded use for them. Of course, this would be just as easily accomplished with fake / decorative items.
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

Another "cursing" could be making something excessively heavy so that you can't carry alot of other items ... providing some balance.

What about a cursed item, perhaps a charm or amulet, that attracts enemies to the player ... like that episode of the brady bunch where greg got that tiki idol that gave him bad luck.
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

:lol: oh Greg.
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

Just thought of another idea along the lines of "cursed items" ... when food crafting is implemented, after an article of food is crafted it is given an expiration date, after which time the item becomes spoiled. Only certain foods spoil. Using a spoiled item may or may not yield a negative status effect, just depends on the item. However certain foods transform with age into something completely different, like juice can become wine or milk can become cheese.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

zick wrote:...or milk can become cheese.
Yea, like this morning I opened my refrigerator and where there was a pack of milk yesterday now there was a lump of runny cheese.
Sarcasm aside, I like the idea of changing items.Image

Have this idea now that if you have spoiled food in your inventory, after a while there will be flies following you. (bunch of small particles)Image
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

Maybe it could be a status effect (Stinky) and having rotten inventory is just one of the ways to get it. Maybe characters get stinky after a long time without bathing.. :lol: Being stinky could prevent you from entering some places.

"Sorry sir, but you just stink too badly to go inside. Come back after you've cleaned up."

Seriously though, great idea.
leeor_net
Novice
Novice

Post by leeor_net »

Actually, I think a 'stinky' status effect is something to look into... I hate to keep using World of Warcraft references but there's a reason it's so successful -- anyway, they have a quest where you have to follow around an animal and dig through its... droppings... to retrieve a key. The key was eaten by the animal and its owner wants you to find it for him. As you do this you gain a 'stinky aura' depicted by a sick green haze following your character around.

I'm not necessarily saying to add a quest like this but it's an example of how you could create a seemingly rediculous status and actually make it feasible. It'd be something different and something you don't see in many other games (come to think of it, I think WoW is the only game I've seen it in).
40401.jpg
40401.jpg (31.05 KiB) Viewed 1985 times
12506.jpg
12506.jpg (7.72 KiB) Viewed 1984 times
- Leeor

"Oh, no thanks. I ate a boulder on the way in." - Shrek
Habari
Novice
Novice

Post by Habari »

a good way of cursed items is that juice for example if its too much time in the inventory turns into alcohol with out you knowing , effects would be according to alcholo system
food could turn into hallucinating drugs
leeor_net
Novice
Novice

Post by leeor_net »

lol... getting drunk could blur your screen. Actually, WoW had a fun quest at one event where you had to get drunk to find things called Wolpertingers... or something like that. You could only see them if you were totally smashed. You ended up with a wolpertinger pet for the quest. I should break it out some time... :)

http://www.mmo-champion.com/images/news ... tinger.jpg
- Leeor

"Oh, no thanks. I ate a boulder on the way in." - Shrek