Currently open mapping tasks in woodland

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Currently open mapping tasks in woodland

Post by Crush »

Here a map of the current development of the woodland area. The arrows indicate places where new maps can be added:
The maps which follow these arrows should look like this:

1: (Taken by Zipon) A forest map with cliffs at the western and southern border. The road should be continued and forked to the north and east.
2: A cliff map with a lot of very high cliffs and few open areas. May end in a forest or a seashore in the west.
3: (Taken by Superkoop) A forest map with cliffs in the north. The road can be continued to the south or west.
4: (Taken by Superkoop) A forest map with few or no cliffs and water. The water area at the western border of map 14-1.tmx should be filled.
5: (Taken by Arkyan) A very dense forest map with a river at the western and southern border.

The map 1 has currently the highest priority because it forms the link to the next city project. The maps 3 and 4 are less important from the geographical and development point of view and thus would be a good training task for a less experienced mapper. The maps 2 and 5 have the lowest priority because map 2 would be much better with support for multiple walk layers and map 5 would look better with the new forest tiles by Saphy and Len.

When you create new maps then please try to use the size of the maps 9, 14, 16 and 18 (140x120 tiles). The map 27 is much too large. We only included the map because it is a) very good and b) in a location where it doesn't disturb further mapping too much.

Here the current development plan of the area:
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
zipon
Novice
Novice

Re: Currently open mapping tasks in woodland

Post by zipon »

I have made a layout for map 1 (same still as map 27-1.tmx)
hope you like it

map 1

Crush wrote: When you create new maps then please try to use the size of the maps 9, 14, 16 and 18 (140x120 tiles). The map 27 is much too large. We only included the map because it is a) very good and b) in a location where it doesn't disturb further mapping too much.
sorry about that ill make my maps 140x120 tiles from now on :)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The main road should go to the east and not to the north. Are the black lines supposed to be cliffs? In that case I would prefer to have no cliffs at all in the eastern, northern and central part of the map (at least no cliffs which work as barriers - a small hill here and there is ok).
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
zipon
Novice
Novice

Post by zipon »

hmm ok what are we going for then a woodland or farmland style?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Woodland style. This map is supposed to be a transition from mountains to forest (the next map to the west is supposed to be a transition from forest to plains).
  • NOT a game master

zipon
Novice
Novice

Post by zipon »

okey so a mountains/forest map (most forest ofc) ill try to make a new layout of the map then.

Can i use trees as barriers?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Yes, you can.
  • NOT a game master

zipon
Novice
Novice

Post by zipon »

I have made a new version of the layout for map 1.
the numbers of open hills and tree groups is not finale and they dont have to be the way they are on the layout

Hope the layout is what you had in mind Crush.

Map 1 Layout

Open Hill
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The layout looks good so far. Thats's about what I had in mind. But I would prefer a few more trees than it implies (a tree density like that on 14-1.tmx). This would also distract from the trees you put around the "open hills" to cover up for the collision problems caused by the lack of action layers.
  • NOT a game master

Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

I'll do map 3.
But I think I will have to update 26-1.tmx (you labeled it 27 in that diagram, 27 is actually a cave map now) to fit together with 9-1.tmx. Since the cliffs don't really match up, it makes it very difficult to make map 3. :P
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
zipon
Novice
Novice

Post by zipon »

Cool Crush glad you liked the layout and i think its a good idea to make the tree`s the same way as they are at map 14-1.tmx

I will start the making of the map 1, if someone think there are more that need to be change pleas tell :D
Superkoop wrote:I'll do map 3.
But I think I will have to update 26-1.tmx (you labeled it 27 in that diagram, 27 is actually a cave map now) to fit together with 9-1.tmx. Since the cliffs don't really match up, it makes it very difficult to make map 3. :P
Im looking at the border problem,i think we need to make some small changes in both maps.

EDIT.

Done the border fix for map 9-1 and 26-1 only need to add it to the 2 maps.

Screenshot
5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Post by 5t3v3 »

Crush wrote:The maps 2 and 5 have the lowest priority because map 2 would be much better with support for multiple walk layers and map 5 would look better with the new forest tiles by Saphy and Len.
So the idea is to have one map with one forest tileset and another with a different( much higher quality) tileset?
In game characters: "5t3v3" and "L "
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I still think that it is possible to use both tilesets together when the grass and dirt tiles on the old tileset are replaced with those from the new one.
  • NOT a game master

Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Could mapping tasks be dealt via mantis too? Pretty please?
This message used to be meaningful.
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

zipon wrote: EDIT.

Done the border fix for map 9-1 and 26-1 only need to add it to the 2 maps.

Screenshot
Awesome, I'll await the updated maps so I can continue work on my map. =)
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-