[FND]forest tileset

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Re: forest tileset

Post by Saphy »

Crush wrote:I've used those you posted on page 17. Can you please point me to the corrected version?
Have you refresh your browser? Even though the filename is the same, the file is different. It was the one I posted on page 16, and it is different from what you are using.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Probably the last thing you guys want to hear from me, but I’m starting to get a little sick of this tileset. So I’m going to move on and come back to it later

(I’m just plying around and nothing is getting done :cry: )
Pixel Battalion
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Len wrote:Probably the last thing you guys want to hear from me, but I’m starting to get a little sick of this tileset. So I’m going to move on and come back to it later
(I’m just plying around and nothing is getting done :cry: )
Because there is so many things to be done...but you are doing great, Its ok if you need a break, I know what you mean, That's why I work in others things like Bitan and MushCave instead of the Temple :wink:
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Len wrote:Probably the last thing you guys want to hear from me, but I’m starting to get a little sick of this tileset. So I’m going to move on and come back to it later
Yep, I think I know something about it. :) I was bored too after making a huge part of tilesets.
(I'm talking about desert dried river for example).

I got idea, but I don't know how exactly make it work.
Imagine situation when 3 people are working on different tilesets. After 1 month they exchange:

ABC -> BCA

After another month, again:

BCA -> CAB

And after that finishing touches are made by first author of those tiles. It eventually could work, because all artist have different conceptions and ideas, it also could unify tiles. But from other side, no one like to share his unfinished work. Anyway it's GPL, works could goes parallel. Also god idea is brainstorm or tiles contest.

Sorry for offtopic. BTW DO NOT look at forest tileset at least for 2 weeks, after that open those tiles and you will see what you have to change, what is wrong, what needs improvement. My work schedule looks like that: 1~2 weeks of work / 1~2 month break / and again work...
between them I'm trying to make some other things like icons, sprites, maybe some tutorials. It usually helps.
Dawn
Novice
Novice

Post by Dawn »

But hey, I am a fan of your work len, don't ever give up and I think that jungle of yours is look spectacular. Keep up the good work my friend. :)
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

What else do we still need? Ground tiles (leaves, dirts, rocks, grass, fallen branches, wood clusters, ...) ? Water tiles (pond edges, swamp)?

If someone can create a todo list, perhaps we can continue working on it when we have free time while reviewing each other's work?
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

I would say just put all we already have like trees, rocks, caves, cliffs, grass and desert together is enough work for all us, so I would say lets take all we have and try to create the tileset ASAP.
IMHO
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I think it would be nice to have:
-tileable bushes
-tileable high grass
-tileable water
-tileable swamp
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Crush wrote:I think it would be nice to have:
-tileable bushes
-tileable high grass
-tileable water
-tileable swamp
I have attempted to create a tilable high grass tile:

Left Most Tile

Right Most Tile

Middle Tiles:
2aImage2bImage3aImage3bImage

Combined:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

It looks funny.

Can the tile size be 16x16 pixel instead of 32x32?
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Saphy :

I like your idea, is a very good start, I don't know if we can create tileable grass like that but it would be great to achieve it
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Saphy wrote:Can the tile size be 16x16 pixel instead of 32x32?
I fell off my chair laughing to that one.

Originally the tilesize was 16x16 due to SoM tile usage. Then I came aboard, we started gaining original artists and I wanted to go 32x32 (or even 64x64 if 32x32 was not an option). I lost in the meeting after a huge fight/debate and we went 16x16. Sometime later, we just migrated to 32x32 and we are still suffering from the artifacts of the transition. I'm quite content with 32x32. Kind of off topic, but brought back memories.

Anyway, unfortunately AFAIK you do not have the possibility for subtiles. If you can think of good reasons to support such a feature, you can probably bug the tech devs into making it reality.
This message used to be meaningful.
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Thanks. Assuming the tile can be divided like this:

I can tile it like this:

The problem is that tile created like this will always be square.

AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

And still have heavy patterns, IMO may be you need to fill a bit more the spaces, and create different versions with round shapes or less squares, but is just an advise, keep the good work, so far is very good
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

When you make it with 32x32 tiles the repetition will be much less obviouse and you will also be able to make the corners more round and thus make it appear less square-sized.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

For a normal tileable floor texture like this you need at least 13 tiles:

In a lot of older games you frequently see a tile organisation with only 9 tiles like that:
In this case the inner-corner and outer-corner tiles are substituted with a diagonal tile. The problem with this is that you have to cheat a bit at the tile corners to make it possible to use the same tile for three different situations. It also doesn't allow you to have a very wide transition at the edges of the texture. While you can get away with this on the low resolution of the 16 bit generation it becomes much harder to do this on our higher resolution.
  • NOT a game master