Squaresoft is lazy!!!

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Len
Knight
Knight

Squaresoft is lazy!!!

Post by Len »

They did some nice recycling of many of their tiles (something we can learn from)
They even did it with some of the buildings (the lazy bastards!)
Pixel Battalion
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Squaresoft is lazy!!!

Post by Rotonen »

They could get away with it easier: you don't see the same landscapes again as often as you see in an MMO.

This however does not mean we could not get away with recycling if we do it smart.
This message used to be meaningful.
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

Word. Also, as I'm pretty sure has been mentioned before.. another form of tile recycling can take place when multiple tilesets are used to design a single zone.
Oh hey, regarding the desert tileset's coastal animation.. how does that animation look in SD3? (from the screenshot on the right) Anything we can learn from?
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Dave wrote:
Oh hey, regarding the desert tileset's coastal animation.. how does that animation look in SD3? (from the screenshot on the right) Anything we can learn from?
It is beyond amazing, but I'm not sure if we can pull it off on the large scale :!:
Pixel Battalion
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I think he was after an animated example for you to show us...
This message used to be meaningful.
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

No, I was actually just looking for his visual recollection. I haven't played much of that particular title, so I don't really recall and haven't really seen a lot of the graphics. ..but now that Rotonen mentions it, if you get a chance, gif together some screenshot clippings of that water animation for us to stare at.

About the reused sand tiles in the screenshots; I wondered whether or not they recolored those tiles from a single graphic and a palette change, or just had three different versions.. then of course that made me wonder, if we're dynamically coloring objects and all of that, it will work for tiles, too.. correct?
Dimond
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dimond »

This is probably completely off topic, but Dave your image on the side there is creepy...
:?
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

8) My smiling Cronus avatar felt old when I finally got back online.
Othello
Novice
Novice

Post by Othello »

I think many transitions can be reused. It would benift the speed of the game development, and it would hardly be noticed by the player (if the actual tilesets have enough variation). We could for example created 3 types of cliff-tiles: Round, haxagonical/triangular and square (like the new forest tileset). Then you could color it for each type of environment different. Would not be lots of work, and I think it would not harm the game (maybe even be an improvement, because you get more consistent). Same counts for shore-lines.
"I'm a Mog, half man, half dog... I'm my own best friend!" - Barf

My blog
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The main reason for squaresoft reusing tiles like that was size limitation of the ROM modules. So they used palette swapping a lot. But it is really surprising how well it works.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jetryl
Novice
Novice

Post by Jetryl »

Crush wrote:The main reason for squaresoft reusing tiles like that was size limitation of the ROM modules. So they used palette swapping a lot. But it is really surprising how well it works.
And the fact that it actually takes a lot of time to produce tiles like that. There's no point wasting weeks to churn out a new tileset when you can reuse an existing one and basically get the same effect. The trick with that is - sure, it's reused, and sure, people will notice that. But it looks good, and if it does look good, it doesn't feel cheap.

It's like having to eat the same meal every day for a week, but it being something really, really good. If it's really good, you don't get tired of it.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

Plus i do find that snow and sand do tend to drift in very similar patterns.
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
leeor_net
Novice
Novice

Post by leeor_net »

That really depends on the type of snow and it's shape... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow#Types_of_snow
- Leeor

"Oh, no thanks. I ate a boulder on the way in." - Shrek
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

leeor_net wrote:That really depends on the type of snow and it's shape... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow#Types_of_snow
Same goes for sand ie whether it is wet, dry, fineness of the grain. :P

I was speaking in general before.
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad