The Bot list

This forum is used to deal with abuse in game - abuse reports, bans etc.
Effex
Peon
Peon

The Bot list

Post by Effex »

I just read the previous page about Kelvinbo or whatever his name was, but it seems to me like he isn't the only person doing this. Maybe the eAthena server is a test, but still it should be a 'fair' test. So I'm starting this thread to report bots in the hope that GM's or anyone who can help will do something. I hope that anyone else who spots people botting will report them here, and they'll be investigated. We'll see.

The people I've seen (today :P) are:
Dakoda
Hykuan
Sertraline
Novice
Novice

Re: The Bot list

Post by Sertraline »

You can't just write people's names down and expect action, because you have no proof. Otherwise, I could start a thread with every player I don't like and accuse them of whatever.

Now the problem is: it's difficult to corroborate botting with screenshots since it resembles honest gameplay. I know QOAL once had modded his client to take FLV movies, but I never asked him how good that was at proving botting.

Since most bots use scripts for certain maps like the bat and ice caves, I'd think the easiest solution would be to turn on PvP on those maps. Players generally know the difference where screenshots and movies fall short.

See also this topic dealing with the difficulties of enforcing no botting.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I think the best way to deal with bots is to report them on IRC with name and location so that a GM can investigate IMMEDIATELY and check if the suspected character is really a bot.

When you report a character on the forum it usually takes a few hours until a GM notices it and can investigate the issue. Until then the character might already have logged out or the human player could already have taken control of the character (especially when the player is monitoring this forum, too).
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Crush wrote:I think the best way to deal with bots is to report them on IRC with name and location so that a GM can investigate IMMEDIATELY and check if the suspected character is really a bot.

When you report a character on the forum it usually takes a few hours until a GM notices it and can investigate the issue. Until then the character might already have logged out or the human player could already have taken control of the character (especially when the player is monitoring this forum, too).
IRC has the same problem, but the player controlling the bot does have less time to hide that way. I still think that for the new server (even the current server if we could make it work), reporting people in game would be the best (an entry in the context menu would suffice) so they couldn't know that they've been reported until it's too late.
Effex
Peon
Peon

Post by Effex »

Sertraline wrote:You can't just write people's names down and expect action, because you have no proof. Otherwise, I could start a thread with every player I don't like and accuse them of whatever.
True, but I figure if enough people see the culprits and report them, then we'd have some kind of list of people to investigate. Not immediately. It's like witnesses. If enough people see you shoot a guy, but you can prove you were in alaska, chances are they'll believe the 30 people who saw you shoot him :P
Sertraline wrote:Since most bots use scripts for certain maps like the bat and ice caves, I'd think the easiest solution would be to turn on PvP on those maps. Players generally know the difference where screenshots and movies fall short.
Chances are, they're just using an Automation program. Well, I guess that's what I'd think. But if it's as simple as "While 1 = 1, Press A then ctrl" what's to stop them adding another line that puts a Q in there to target players too. After all, they are going to be a much higher level than the none-cheaters. They'll kill anyone who steps foot in there, so In all honesty I'd say PvP in there was a bad idea.

I don't expect instant action, but a little more proactivity by the GMs to keep the game more balanced would be appriciated ;)
Squrd
Peon
Peon

Post by Squrd »

I Say we forget about bot-ers and let them spoil how rpg's such as TMW are supposed to be played, or to them... not played. I mean at the end of the day wouldn't you be more satisfied knowing you were responsible for all of the exp and lvls you gained? I don't know I just believe bots take the games out of videogames.
USA
neo644
Peon
Peon

Post by neo644 »

I just say let them say so i can dropsteal off them.