Currently open mapping tasks in woodland

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Currently open mapping tasks in woodland

Post by Crush »

You don't really have to invest so much work into map areas which are far away from any accessable areas and thus will most likely never appear on a players screen.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

I wasn't planning on doing too much detail work in the far parts, but it would feel nicer for me the mapper to know it looks well all over. =P
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
zipon
Novice
Novice

Post by zipon »

Superkoop wrote:I wasn't planning on doing too much detail work in the far parts, but it would feel nicer for me the mapper to know it looks well all over. =P
I like that the map is 100% done to, so when you look at them in tiled the map get a more pro look :)

Anyway im done the 9-1.tmx north border so superkoop can start the new map of his, plus some small changes to the maps cliffs.

Screenshot

Map file

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/6 ... 9-tmx.html
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

zipon wrote:plus some small changes to the maps cliffs.
Did you change anything at the collision layer so that the servers walkmap has to be changed?
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

For some reason Megafileupload won't work, I wait for the 30seconds, press download, and yet...nothing but a page timeout error 5min later. Tried many times, same thing every time. :?
This just me?
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
zipon
Novice
Novice

Post by zipon »

Superkoop wrote:For some reason Megafileupload won't work, I wait for the 30seconds, press download, and yet...nothing but a page timeout error 5min later. Tried many times, same thing every time. :?
This just me?
Hmm dont know why magafileupload is doing that, anyway im useing a new upload side now what works :)

new_9-1 client map

Edit/ forgot to add the particle layer.

http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/986abc6278_0.02MB
Crush wrote:Did you change anything at the collision layer so that the servers walkmap has to be changed?
Yes Crush i have been changing the collision layer, i have made the wlk file for you.

new_9-1 server map

http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/0b5cc0c0f7_0.02MB

Have also made the border on map new_26-1, no changes have been made to the collision layer.

new_26-1 client map

http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/5698333a9a_0.03MB
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

I've been a little confused about the intended location of these maps, in regards to the pink grid. Does each grid square represent a single map, or a series of maps?

If someone would be so kind as to place map numbers on this map with the pink grid, so I can better understand the scale. If one of these already exists, I've forgotten where to find it and need a reminder. I need to know so I can finish a draft of an updated Argaes map. I'd like to include everything you guys have so far, so the rest of the continent is planned to scale.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Major inconsistencies between the overview and the real maps:
-The road at the corner between 9, 26 and 28 is more on map 26
-A landbridge southeast of map 16 has been added as a connection to the desert map (is going to be removed when the world development has advanced further)

But I don't consider these inconsistencies that problematic.
  • NOT a game master

feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Post by feline monstrosity »

Yeah, we can always just redraw the map once all of the in-game maps have been agreed on.
~Feline Monstrosity
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

Absolutely. I just want the concept map to be as accurate to the current game map development as possible. So long as screenshots are available and we don't stray from a standard map size, it should be easy to update.

Is the following mockup out of date?

If it is, could someone supply me with an up to date mockup (if the one above is in fact out of date), but without the arrows and text.
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

There is now 2 more maps that could be added onto that, map 28 and 29. And also map 9 was changed a bit.
The rest of the future maps above ground will probably be in the sub 200x200 size, so it will take a while for maps to start being more uniform.
I think when we get done with Argaes, and move onto other continents, we should set a fixed map size for outdoor maps. It would make things simpler.

Here is the mock-up of the current (and soon to be) forest areas:

In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
Ces
Novice
Novice

Post by Ces »

Beautiful. :D I really like how the straight lines are beginning to be broken up. Good work!

Is it a want/need to make all/most of the outdoor maps in a uniform size in the near future?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Yes, it is important to make all outdoor maps in a region uniform size and allign them in a perfect grid because this makes it more easy to coordinate work in a team where different people are working on different maps.

Example with 4 maps:

Code: Select all

CD
AB
Map A does already exist, the others don't. Two different people take on map B and C. The person who makes map B decides to make it higher than A while the person who makes map C decides to make his map wider than A. When both maps are submitted they find out that they both cover the same area of future map D but the areas look completely different on the two maps.

What now?

One of the two mappers has to change his map, but who is the one? When both mappers would have used the same size this conflict and thus the loss of work could have been averted.

But note that when a mapper needs more space for some very ambitious project he could create a map with exactly double or tripple height or/and width and thus cover the area of 2, 4 or more maps with one.
  • NOT a game master

feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Post by feline monstrosity »

Romans built Hurnscald - you can tell because the roads are all dead straight! :lol:
~Feline Monstrosity
zipon
Novice
Novice

Post by zipon »

Crush wrote:Yes, it is important to make all outdoor maps in a region uniform size and allign them in a perfect grid because this makes it more easy to coordinate work in a team where different people are working on different maps.
Ill say we do somthing about it right now and set all the new maps on hold and wait to bring them in to the game.

The Pink map (new_26-1) will be made larger at north and west borders.
The Red map (new_28-1) will be made larger at the easten border.
The Blue map (new_18.1) will be made lager at the northen border or there will be made a new one in the right size.
And the map Superkoop have made, i say we make that one larger at the westen border so it get the normal size.
And finely the Yellow map (new map) we make a new map that have the normal size.

What do you all think?