Char Name Rules for TMW?

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Arenlor
Peon
Peon

Post by Arenlor »

5t3v3 wrote:I guess to me role playing means being myself because I don't get to be myself in the real world. Please don't impose your personal interpretations of how you should play games on other people.
I am not, I am simply stating what a role playing game, which came from table top games are made for.
5t3v3 wrote:Well you do realize it's a bit hypocrite to "ruin" it for others just because you feel some names don't belong in those kind of games?
You can choose a different name and it won't ruin the atmosphere for you.
5t3v3 wrote:If you actually read my sentence more accurately you'd see that I said there are no star trek conventions on the northpole in real life! I did not say there are none at all, or none at Baltimore or Vegas.
The way the sentence was built it could be interpreted either way. I read it as three separate statements. My apologies for being confused.
5t3v3 wrote:Yes, I know, and I'll be the first to admit that I am asocial. It comes bundled with the Aspergers syndrome, so I'm proud of it. Aspies for freedom!!!!!! (In case you didn't spotted the sarcasm the asocial part was a joke at your expense). Which brings me back to something I said a couple lines ago. You know why I can't be myself in real life? Because neurotypical people (i.e. people like you) made up all those insane social rules that don't make sense and punish anyone who doesn't abide by your stupid imposed laws. But I guess the real world isn't enough and you want people to follow your will in the game to. Whatever...
I'm me in the real world and get mistreated all the time for it, you know why I get mistreated, because of Asperger's. I choose not to follow the idiot rules, you choose to follow them, I also tend to ignore laws too when they are stupid and don't protect anyone.
5t3v3 wrote:And why is it that you are so aggressive against me? I'm ruining your game, I'm insulting your hobby, I'm asocial towards you
I believe you answered yourself here
Bjørn wrote:I'll sidestep the emotional part of the discussion
Come on where's your idea of fun at? I do like your ideas though.
~~~~
Feel free to contact me.
5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Post by 5t3v3 »

I am not, I am simply stating what a role playing game, which came from table top games are made for.
Games are made for playing/entertainment. all the rest is personal interpretation. I don't care if games have a family tree and if one is related to another that doesn't change the fact I don't appreciate you imposing your interpretation of how I should enjoy the game.
A)I'm me in the real world and get mistreated all the time for it, you know why I get mistreated, because of Asperger's. I choose not to follow the idiot rules, you choose to follow them, I also tend to ignore laws too when they are stupid and don't protect anyone.
B)I believe you answered yourself here
I guess the only difference between you and me then is that I do not think I'm the center point of the universe.
Because A) I do try to get along with other people regardless of how challenging that might be, And B) I don't regard any person who has a different opinion or approach as a personal attack on myself. I didn't "answer" my own question, I was giving some more sarcasm. In case you missed it yet again. The pun was that all those things you accuse me from (and that I sarcastically listed) were not really my mistakes but your lack of communication and/or empathy. Asperger syndrome is not an excuse to be inconsiderate, stop ruining it for the rest of us.

Oh btw, following up on the link from your personal information... isn't Arenlor the handle you use outside of the game to? So isn't that your real identity; how you see yourself? It's the name you posted your website under, even your personal blog. So whatever happened to this role-playing-is-about-picking-a-role-that-is-not-you thingy? Seems like some more hypocracy yet again.
You can choose a different name and it won't ruin the atmosphere for you.
Yes you are right, but that's not the point, it's a matter of principle. And the principle is I don't like you imposing your interpretation of how I should enjoy a game on me. You ever heard the expression: "My freedom ends where that of another begins."? So please, pretty please, with sugar on top, let me call myself what I Duck want to call myself.

I don't see any point in taking this any further
Good luck with your life
(And just in case I got you thinking, this time it wasn't sarcasm)
ae4ji
Peon
Peon

Names

Post by ae4ji »

I agree with 5t3v3. This is an original name.
It's a good simple name easy to remember.
Bullies make fun of names.
It's a fantasy game.
My name is an old name that I've been using for 8 years years now because sites that have 100,000,000 or more users on it, need to use numbers.
I Don't Like trying different names ten times.
Do you not hope for more than 11 or 34 players on line at one time.
I personally don't care for the upper and lower case, symbols, or 20 characters long, but other that 5 hair colors or hair styles how else do you personalize you character.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

World of Warcraft has done this in the best way I've seen to date.
This message used to be meaningful.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

How did WoW do it?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

I think that in terms of a true Role Playing game, Planeshift has it down pretty well. I'm not sure what they use, but when you are creating a character, it either accepts or denies it based on how well if fits into the medieval setting. Because Planeshift is open source, maybe we could borrow some code, or use it as inspiration for our own naming scheme.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Dr Wahl wrote:I think that in terms of a true Role Playing game, Planeshift has it down pretty well. I'm not sure what they use, but when you are creating a character, it either accepts or denies it based on how well if fits into the medieval setting. Because Planeshift is open source, maybe we could borrow some code, or use it as inspiration for our own naming scheme.
Planeshift rules are "nazi", even my usual name is illegal there, how many of Galadriels there can be in one game for God's sake. However, I am generally pro having some rules, definitive undreadable and vulgar names should be forbidden.

Regards.
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

Platyna wrote:...undreadable and vulgar names should be forbidden.
I agree. My point was simply that there is already open source code released that does what this thread is talking about. We can re-write the parameters to meet our needs.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Checking the names for some unwanted strings and rejecting those that match a blacklist is trivial. I could program this in less time than I would need to dig through the planeshift sourcecode, find the corresponding sourcecode segment and modify it for our needs, design principles and style guidelines.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Actually tmwserv already contains a filter implementation, I never tested it, but it should apply to both username and chat messages.
Habari
Novice
Novice

Re: Char Name Rules for TMW?

Post by Habari »

i personally would ban the following:

- Names that contain swearwords
- names with sexual content
- names with political content
-names that can offend religious or moral beliefs
-Names that sound "official "(GM , developer )
-names that are an advert (example: visit mypage.com)
-names longer then 13 letters
-names with spaces at begining or end
-begging names (ex: nedd arrows please)
- names that can be confused with anothers players name (the first one keeps it)
-names that have no letters (ex: ?[]{9741##%$)
- names that have no sense
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

- names that have no sense
So you want to ban everyone including yourself? :P
- names that can be confused with anothers players name (the first one keeps it)
That way there will be only a few names, and thus few people. Not a good idea.
Habari
Novice
Novice

Post by Habari »

-
names that can be confused with anothers players name (the first one keeps it)
That way there will be only a few names, and thus few people. Not a good idea.
actually 99% of the names ive seen until know are very different from each other this is an original community :D its just 1% of idiots who make similar names on purpose to abuse others reputation :evil:
BadMrBox
Warrior
Warrior

Re:

Post by BadMrBox »

Crush wrote:Checking the names for some unwanted strings and rejecting those that match a blacklist is trivial. I could program this in less time than I would need to dig through the planeshift sourcecode, find the corresponding sourcecode segment and modify it for our needs, design principles and style guidelines.
Well, sounds good. Go for it then.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Maybe when I am finished with going for the 627569032567 other things which have a much higher priority.
  • NOT a game master