Savior's Plate and more.

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Savior's Plate and more.

Post by Superkoop »

That plate and cape is totally awesome! :shock: The red cape really makes it look regal, and grand.

[offtopic=" Red usually makes me thing Spiderman, and Spiderman was far from an egotistical male. He was the most humble/faulted superhero I can think of."/]
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Superkoop wrote:[offtopic=" Red usually makes me thing Spiderman, and Spiderman was far from an egotistical male. He was the most humble/faulted superhero I can think of."/]
I agree. I was referring to the stereotypical "American cartoon" superhero I was forced to watch in a car, with a bunch of kids who have the "I am king, the sun rise because of me" mentality. But kids are like that, which is funny until they push people down the stair because that he/she look at them funny. Needless to say, I am the sort of person who don't mind censorship of violence cartoon made for kids, especially with illiterate parents (they can't tell what is good or not for their kids).
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Saphy is right IMO, it's to red, to flashy and moves to fast.
Slave
Novice
Novice

Post by Slave »

im already changing the sway, its not going to move as violently. but the red is good, and didnt you hear? we will probubly get different colored capes.
like my avatar? i drew a concept of old savior plate which is now outaded in a bout 5 mins. if you have an avatar froma game you would like me to draw for you give me a PM.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Slave wrote:im already changing the sway, its not going to move as violently. but the red is good, and didnt you hear? we will probubly get different colored capes.
Red is very good. If the cape is pure red, it can be recolored.
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Slave wrote:im already changing the sway, its not going to move as violently. but the red is good, and didnt you hear? we will probubly get different colored capes.
Everyone has different taste of fashion; I believe clothing should be sensible and practical. In advertisement firm, being flashy is a big no-no. In fact, there was a time I used a model who is pointing the sun, and it offended the clients. O_O Nevertheless, what wasn't generally appreciated here may be appreciated in your culture.

We should accept each other for their different in taste, so please try to keep your tone friendly. There is no need to accuse and belittle others.
Slave
Novice
Novice

Post by Slave »

id prefer you not lecture me, my tone has been extreamly friendly considering youve been using your biased opinions of my work almost constantly, ruling out my personal taste completely. doesnt that contradict what you just stated? im open to improvement on work, but not radical change, the savior plate is very popular as it is without any changes. remember the age group of most gamers today, expecially in 2d games like this, they ar emostly in the 12-16 area and although, practicality is good for anything game related and air of "less than practical" fashion is appreciated. im willing to better it but there are certain charateristics that make it what it is, try to remember this is not the only armor im ever going to create im going to try to make several different fashions and hold serveys to see what the users would want in an armor and try to create this.

id love to keep the sparks between us to a minimum even though its clear we differ on several points.
like my avatar? i drew a concept of old savior plate which is now outaded in a bout 5 mins. if you have an avatar froma game you would like me to draw for you give me a PM.
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Slave wrote:id prefer you not lecture me, my tone has been extreamly friendly considering youve been using your biased opinions of my work almost constantly, ruling out my personal taste completely. doesnt that contradict what you just stated? im open to improvement on work, but not radical change, the savior plate is very popular as it is without any changes. remember the age group of most gamers today, expecially in 2d games like this, they ar emostly in the 12-16 area and although, practicality is good for anything game related and air of "less than practical" fashion is appreciated. im willing to better it but there are certain charateristics that make it what it is, try to remember this is not the only armor im ever going to create im going to try to make several different fashions and hold serveys to see what the users would want in an armor and try to create this.

id love to keep the sparks between us to a minimum even though its clear we differ on several points.
Well, I always states which is my opinion (such as colour preference), and which is a suggestion (adding accessory instead of having yellow lace). I am sorry if my way of speaking is funny, English isn't my mother tongue, and the "lecturing" tone is the only way I know how to speak, which is probably why I can't raise kids well.

I didn't know the age range is that young, maybe old folks like me shouldn't have an opinion afterall... yeah, I am emo.
Slave
Novice
Novice

Post by Slave »

opinions are revered, and im not saying "old flks" shouldnt have a say, there are lots of "old folks" id say 20+ playing, lots and lots and thats perfectly fine but the magority is the kids and kids like shiney things. i do take your opinions to heart but im trying to focus on a magority image here =] thats all.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I'd call under 30 years old young.

Now just have a hug over the communication issue and get back to the topic. :twisted:
This message used to be meaningful.
Slave
Novice
Novice

Post by Slave »

yessir :P
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

I like the armor and the cape (animation issues aside). Now as for the issue of flash over practicality, Its a computer game flash wins. :P As a good example I will use Saphy's gold plate mail armor. In RL you will not find any armor that has got a lot of sliding plates over the abs. Most Armor was a solid single piece of armor that protects from shoulders to waits that looked much like the light plate mail all ready in game. Sliding plates were impractical because they could get knock off in the scrums leaving large holes in the armor which is a huge problem. If someone was going for flexibility over defense they were better server wearing chain mail anyway. Now that being said the sliding plates over the abs on Saphy's armor looks cool. Thus it will be fun to wear even thou in RL it wold be impractical. In game people don't trip on long robs or have there caps stepped on by others, unless you want to make those animations. :P
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Slave
Novice
Novice

Post by Slave »

i completely agree with everything you just said :P my thoughts exactly
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

There is a potential problem with the cape. As it's part of the torso layer, its draw above the sprite on the legs layer. Any peice of leg leg armor that uses more pixels than the player sprite's legs will be cut off. I've uploaded an example that uses the skirt.

Also, I noticed that the walking frames are bit off. They don't move up and down with the player so it looks like his head is bobbing (in all but the up direction). The shoulder pieces move awkwardly when walking. They expand and contract and move up and down too much.
Attachments
Example of problem with cape.
Example of problem with cape.
cape.png (3.3 KiB) Viewed 2574 times
Slave
Novice
Novice

Post by Slave »

ive noticed that problem on sirus, but i wanna know why you would wanna wear a skirt with the armor anyway? as for the problem with the walking and shoulder pads, i will redo them all. thanks for the information.

i might shorten the cape if this is really going to be a problem, but i doubt it will be too big a problem since the armor has a matching set of pants.