Consider - the sensible way to kill things

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

telestrial
Peon
Peon

Consider - the sensible way to kill things

Post by telestrial »

Why not create a command accessible via right-click called "consider"? This would compare your character against an enemy to see what the outcome of a fight might be. It would NEVER tell you a definite "you would win this fight" sort of thing...but it varying degrees of "This scorpion is no match for you" "This scorpion would put up little resistance" "This scorpion is an equal" "This scorpion would be very hard to defeat"...and the last degree of difficulty "What do you want on your tombstone?"

I think it's awesome...but then again...what do I know? I just hate walking around having no idea how strong a creature is...and I think this is an easy fix!

:mrgreen:
Effex
Peon
Peon

Re: Consider - the sensible way to kill things

Post by Effex »

Excellent Idea. Perhaps a little basic though. But maybe (giving into some more complicated ideas) it can reveal more based on the INT stat? Perhaps at the lowest levels, just rough guesses like Telestrial's idea. But the higher the INT it becomes more like a scan of Stats.

*shrugs* any input guys?
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

It sounds like you are walking around in fear not wanting to test your strength against anything. Why not just attack it? Its not like there is big penalty for dying. :P
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
telestrial
Peon
Peon

Post by telestrial »

Then again why risk it? You could say these types of things about anything....

"Why have swords...sounds like you're just afraid to die...you know there's no penalty of death..right?"

....that sort of thing

I love my idea.
Effex
Peon
Peon

Post by Effex »

Black Don wrote:It sounds like you are walking around in fear not wanting to test your strength against anything. Why not just attack it? Its not like there is big penalty for dying. :P
There's no penalty for dying, but picture this:

You're out snaking with 2 others.
You've been taking most of the attacks, because the others are lower levels.
Another snake comes along, and you want to know if you can take it's attacks without dying and leaving your low level partners without a 'tank' (I feel slightly dirty for using that word :P), or if you should use an item or drop back for a while and let those 2 handle it.

It's not designed as an Action game, at least, not too much. It is an RPG, so a "Shoot first, Shoot second, Shoot again then when everyone is dead, try to ask a question" approach might not work as well as a little planning before hand. The game is tilted (at the moment) a little too much towards just attacking. With no kind of magic, then that's the only way we can kill monsters, but I think teles' idea could go a long way to making the game more strategic for those who want it. :)