New_29-1 + Cave

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

New_29-1 + Cave

Post by Superkoop »

I hope I did it right. And I hope it's not too terrible.
Link to image. (2240X1920, about 3.5mb)
Link to .tmx

I will make a cave map that will allow the players to get from bottom to top, but I first want to focus on this map.
I also haven't been able to test it, since I can't figure out how. Whenever I try to do the customdata way, I can see the map, but I can't walk on it. :?
Last edited by Superkoop on 09 Jun 2008, 02:14, edited 1 time in total.
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: New_29-1

Post by Crush »

It's a nice start but could you please try to make the high grass areas less rectangular?

There are also some inaccessible but unblocked tiles on the map. Such areas are a big problem because monsters will spawn in them which can't be killed. You can detect such areas by flood-filling the collision layer.

And the small brown rubbles are not supposed to be blocking.

There are some map tiles athe southern part of the west map border which are blocked for no reason apparent to the player.

But when you correct these errors the map can be put ingame.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

There is also a tree that should be blocked.
at the "U-shape" near the transition between mud and stone pad there is a large tree which does not have a red X on it. and the sign near it also doesnt have a X.
zipon
Novice
Novice

Post by zipon »

Hey Superkoop i think you map is looking real fine, but i cant help to think that the grass looks to unnatural like Crush is saying.
Try to do something like this, but at a larger scale.

i have also found some layer problems and something that looks odd

blu: The layer problem, fill them out whet some mountain tiles
yellow: the mountain here is looking odd, i dont think that its is the best way to get the mountain to get smaller

Here is a guidline to fix the yellow problem, also made a change in the way you have made the platform

Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

Hey thank you everyone for the bug finds, and the advice!
I tried to make the high grass less boxy, and straight. Does it look better now?
And I tried to find all of the collision tile problems, I went over it a couple times, so most should be fixed. But if I still missed some, just let me know. =)

And I tried to follow the advice Zipon gave me, so those layer bugs and that areas should be fixed.

Image | .tmw

Again, thanks!
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
Ces
Novice
Novice

Post by Ces »

A nice map. :) A few things I noticed:

1. The two neighbouring sections of high grass in the lower right are still quite squareish
2. And so is the section of high grass on the other side of the road just above
4. The “park” in the upper left is nice, but perhaps somewhat boring due to its perfectness (though perhaps more variations of the tiles themselves could solve this, rather than redoing the shape)

Best wishes on your mapping! :mrgreen:
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Post by feline monstrosity »

Has anybody made a cave map to connect the two caves?
~Feline Monstrosity
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

The park isnt "perfect" at all. It misses the collison tiles.
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

@ces, the two high grass patches on the farthest right are part of map 9, so I don't really want to change those on my map unless I am told I should change them on map 9 also. Which is the reason the farthest right of the map I made no changes except for the fence, which was the most unnoticeable way I could cleanly block that border until the map below gets put in. (the other way would have been to use trees or rocks, and the rocks wouldn't have really fit in, and I would have needed to add a lot of trees to make it look normal.) But all the same, I changed the other tall grass areas a bit more, making them less square still.
Not quite sure how to make a "park" that is supposed to have a man-made type of look to it, look less man-madeish, but I added onto the dirt path, and I added a couple rocks in the area.

@feline monstrosity I will work on the cave map that will link the two entrance caves after people are satisfied with this map. =)

@EJlol Oops! I fixed the collision tile problems in the "park" area. Silly of me to miss them. :oops:

And thank you everyone for working with me and my very newbism to mapping. =)

New files:
image | .tmx
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
zipon
Novice
Novice

Post by zipon »

I made a fast layer fix, so no more holes in the world hehe.
And also remember to use the lowest layer that you can on you next map :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?vwmnbdvwara
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

Okay thank you Zipon =) It will probably take me a while to understand always which tiles I should put on which layer.

Just to make sure, and to understand better:
The lowest layer, 0, is always rendered below the other layers, and below the player sprites. So this should be used for tiles without transparency, and for tiles that go below the player. (like the ground, and the facing side of cliffs)
The next layer, 1, is rendered above the layer below it, 0, and the player sprites. It should be mainly used for tiles that have transparency, and that go above the player. (like trees, rocks, flowers, cliff sides, and facing cliff tops.)
The next layer, 2, is rendered above all of the lower layers, and above the player sprites. This should be used for tiles that need to go above layer 1 (like cliffs that should go above trees, rocks, etc. And for those really tall trees.)
And then the last layer, 3, is for collision tiles only.

Is this entirely correct? And is there anything else I should know about the layers to better understand them? I'll try to take more caution in my next map concerning layers. :)
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
zipon
Novice
Novice

Post by zipon »

i think you got the layer part now, thats good to see :)
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

Finished the cave map, there are two levels to the cave and I put both on the same map, since I had seen on an earlier thread it was considered good practice to put them on the same .tmx file.

And just for clarification, the player would enter on the lower left on the bottom lower cave, and leave the lower cave by going through the upper right door. They would then enter on the right side of the upper cave, and leave the cave map in the upper left.

Image | .tmx
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
zipon
Novice
Novice

Post by zipon »

The cave map is real nice looking :)

it is also cool that you read the post and dont make the same mistake as another mapper that i know :lol:
5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Re: New_29-1 + Cave

Post by 5t3v3 »

Also, what's the point of having a road fork, and then having both roads run completely parallel to each other, seems rather unnatural ^_^
Other then that, keep up the good work.
In game characters: "5t3v3" and "L "