New playerset's frames and animation

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: New playerset's frames and animation

Post by Rotonen »

Well, the artists can do as many frames of animation and as many different attack animations into the playerset as they ultimately want to do equipment work for.

Anyway, someone update the wiki TODO to reflect ALL the stuff we want in there. For example it would now state there is not going to be a whip animation. Discuss and reach a consensus in this thread first, update wiki later. (In your own userspace you can and are indeed encouraged to do stuff without the bureaucracy.)

The playerset project should finally get the elevated state of importance amongst artists. I probably have to start to repeat myself to emphasis how much it is dragging us and how tedious redoing revisions and additions to already "completed" equipment stuff will be, if it is not finished swiftly.

At this point do not worry about compatibility, just do it properly and do it fast (before the end of the year would be very much preferred).

Please start with creating a complete placeholder spriteset, with stick figures for stuff not done yet. Could develop into a nice SVN/dev version gag. Also a very nice visual progress indicator.

Current playerset specifications
This message used to be meaningful.
Slave
Novice
Novice

Post by Slave »

i can definantly see similarities in an axe chopping and whip slashing animation, if the axe chop is overhead. do we have anyone working on the axe/whip combo? i could if theres a need.
like my avatar? i drew a concept of old savior plate which is now outaded in a bout 5 mins. if you have an avatar froma game you would like me to draw for you give me a PM.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Yet another fine example of why we should start to use our Mantis for graphical development. We have overgrown as an organization (read: a random mob) both our forums and our wiki as a tool for task tracking.

In Mantis (simplified and in principle) you could set a task for the playerset. After that set some blocking subtasks (whip animation, sword animation, sitting revision for females) for it (the main task would not be complete until all the subtasks are). You could even infinitely assign subtasks to subtasks (even have a task per animation phase or per frame, although that would probably already be excessive spamming).

People could assign themselves to tasks. They could also remove themselves. We could set deadlines for the files to send automatical email reminders. We could search for what has been the longest without an update. We could even search for tasks, which are not allocated to anyone. We would have an easy way to figure out who was working last on something we are interested in and an easy way to contact the person in question.

If we were to use mantis, you would not need to ask around for that and people would not have to remember by heart or search around the forums who was last working on something.

Starting to sound appealing instead of appalling to anyone yet? (Yes, I know it looks ugly as hell, but it is a functional development tool.)
Slave
Novice
Novice

Post by Slave »

well i have a magic casting proposal and i can start working on the axe sprite animation as well so i guess i will try your manitis out.
link me?
like my avatar? i drew a concept of old savior plate which is now outaded in a bout 5 mins. if you have an avatar froma game you would like me to draw for you give me a PM.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Rotonen wrote:Yet another fine example of why we should start to use our Mantis for graphical development. We have overgrown as an organization (read: a random mob) both our forums and our wiki as a tool for task tracking.
Eyes open, clicky clicky? :)

I admit the link color is not good at all. We should change it. I was looking for a reason to have a new signature too. :twisted:
Slave
Novice
Novice

Post by Slave »

thanks a bunch
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

Crush wrote:Please drop that second swing - it doesn't reflect the (new) game mechanics and means two unnecessary frames. Also note that a "chopping axe type motion" isn't that bad because the same animation is supposed to be used for axes.

First Crush you should not tell me which frames to drop when you did not look at the frames of the animation. (If you had you would of realized the first swing is 3 frames and second swing is 3 frames, I even said that in the body of my message.) And the point of the second swing is because it is how a natural sword swing works which is what you complained about on all the other swings. And I did set it up so the first 3 frames could be for an axe. I was hopping for constructive criticism on this that would help to point to what you want. But I have seen so very little of that in the forums of late. If I drop the second swing then its exactly what we have had shown in the past and it will not look right because it is and unnatural look for using a sword.
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

More frames in there and it can be used for slow swings too (every other swing from the other side or if attack broken, just gracefully reset by cycling frames intelligently).
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

Rotonen wrote:More frames in there and it can be used for slow swings too (every other swing from the other side or if attack broken, just gracefully reset by cycling frames intelligently).
thank you rotonen and if your creatively use a pause at the end of each swing you can slow it down too.

"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I certainly did never complain about any lack of "return animation" in any of the animations which were proposed. I think it is completely superfluous.

Always having a second swing after the first will just look wrong in the game because the enemies will only be damaged once. And giving all swords a double attack just because you pixeled it that way would be a really stupid decision balance- and mechanic wise.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Re:

Post by Black Don »

Crush wrote: Regarding this animation: It didn't look that way with the "green line" sword, but with the real sword graphic in there I am really missing another animation phase during the swing.
Then what were you talking about here crush? Some times your critics come off as vague and easily misunderstood.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I was talking about another phase DURING the swing, not AFTER the swing. I don't see how you can interprete this as me wanting a return animation.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

Crush wrote:I was talking about another phase DURING the swing, not AFTER the swing. I don't see how you can interprete this as me wanting a return animation.
Well my swing is just a rip from Modanung on the 3rd page of this thread which i thought was good but then got lost for other ideas. The second swing is what I thought was missing from the animation and it was to make the swing look more natural. I never said you wanted it. I makes it natural arm motion but if that is not what you wanted then why have we not gone forward with any of the other good ideas come through here?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

There were a couple of very promising animations in this thread I would have accepted gladly after some minor modifications (Those by Pauan were especially good). But unfortunately none of it got finished because the people who made them lost interest before starting the side- and back view.
  • NOT a game master

Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

Crush wrote:There were a couple of very promising animations in this thread I would have accepted gladly after some minor modifications (Those by Pauan were especially good). But unfortunately none of it got finished because the people who made them lost interest before starting the side- and back view.
Then name them off so we can get some one else to "pickup the ball" and try to finish this.