Forest track

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Re: Forest track

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Lovely. It really made me think of an abandoned city, a mana temple or a peaceful forest.
For me it's more than ok.
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

Thank you Elven...

I'm close to completion of this, but I fear I've put a few too many changes in this... I think it sounds quite nice, but I'm just not sure if it flows and is as well rounded as the others I've done so far... I'm sorry, but my ears have grown very accustomed to this track so anything too loud or badly panned (I think the violins are too far over left sometimes... but maybe it's my imagination) then please do let me know.

http://www.infectedmusicdesigns.co.uk/T ... ial_v4.ogg
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Exquisite !!

I like it in all the extension of the word :D
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I noticed that your songs usually have a quite long intro. I think they would be better when you would get a bit faster to the point. The song is already quite long with 4:33. Cutting a few bars in the first half minute wouldn't hurt, IMO.

Besides that I think that the song is really great.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
GonzoDark
Warrior
Warrior

Post by GonzoDark »

dariunas wrote:Thank you Elven...

I'm close to completion of this, but I fear I've put a few too many changes in this... I think it sounds quite nice, but I'm just not sure if it flows and is as well rounded as the others I've done so far... I'm sorry, but my ears have grown very accustomed to this track so anything too loud or badly panned (I think the violins are too far over left sometimes... but maybe it's my imagination) then please do let me know.

http://www.infectedmusicdesigns.co.uk/T ... ial_v4.ogg
Can't describe this master piece with words, because there is no words there are sufficient enough to give a full picture of what I experience with this track.

It brought me on a fantastic journey into a unseen world of wonders :shock:

Can't wait to hear this in-game - and OMG I love your work :wink:

And I can't wait to see your next master piece.

and about how to make it even better;

1. 1:34 to 1.42 <-- You made the background sound volume higher. (and different tones- sounds weird)
2. The intro is kinda long (but not that much-just a little)
3. Make it loop more smoothly

// GonzoDark

Keep up the good work ;)
IchigoBlack (86) a.k.a GonzoDark (80) || HolyManaClan

dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

GonzoDark wrote: ...
and about how to make it even better;

1. 1:34 to 1.42 <-- You made the background sound volume higher. (and different tones- sounds weird)
2. The intro is kinda long (but not that much-just a little)
3. Make it loop more smoothly

// GonzoDark

Keep up the good work ;)
1. Well raised! My idea at the time was that this little section would basically be a little rise and fall in dynamics - unfortunately, I don't think I got the difference quite right, or abandoned the idea half way through so it does sound strange - I'll even out the volume swells here...

2. I actually added an few bars at the beginning at some point between v3 and this one as I was going to put some brass sections in, but I decided to stick to the woodwind and strings more in the end... so I'll take that extra bit straight back out.

3. This might be the hard bit due to the way the track evolves in the later stages, but I've think the main problem is that the violas at the end are actually quite rushed and decay very suddenly, but I think this isn't too hard to fix...

Thank you very much for the other very kind words, I'm glad you like it and hope players do too :)

Crush, you're also right on the money about the intro. Though I think a slow start is usually a very good way to ease the player in and is better approach than suddenly throwing a load of instruments in too soon, however, if all my music is doing that though, that's probably not a good thing as I don't think town-type music really needs long intros... with that in mind, I'll chop off the first two bars (first 6 seconds) from the snow village track :wink:
Last edited by dariunas on 13 Apr 2008, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

:shock:
I love it.
This and the snow place track is fantabulous!

I think I will be looping this track for the rest of the day (sadly only 4 hrs left of it).
(note, when it comes to non lyrical music, I am quite picky. So, you've done well.)

Keep on making this beautiful art, please. =)
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

Thanks - it's always nice to hear :mrgreen:

Have the forest track completed now...

http://www.infectedmusicdesigns.co.uk/T ... Forest.ogg
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

If you are looking for inspiration listen to this:
http://rs79.rapidshare.com/files/74107378/JELONEK.rar

Polish progressive rock without vocal, but with famous violin.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Cannot per se say anything negative here.

Just a bit of something in general. When composing for an MMO, it's probably one of the hardest platforms you can come across. The music cannot be invasive or too captivating. It cannot try to tell a story, at least not by itself. It's just a supplementary to the scenery and what is going on generally. This is really different from a movie and single player experiences. The player will hear the song over and over and over again, in the same place, but the situation might be very different and dynamic.

In movies and single player games you usually have scenes which are going to play out just the way the director wanted them to and hence it's easier to figure out what kinds of emotions we want the crowd to go through. MMOs are about freedom, how to react to that?

The best example of an often repeating single player piece of music is a battle theme. Most people love these even though they are repetitive. Why? Because they're functional, they get you in the mood of fighting immediately. They are energetic and aggressive. They rise your adrenaline level and prepare you for the battle even though you just hear the theme later on and are not playing. Unfortunately that probably is not a luxury we have at our disposal. That is actually something we have to avoid. We are crudely enough said doing elevator music here. Something to make things more pleasant and enjoyable, something to stay in the background without taking on the main role.

Not saying this applies too much to this piece or anything else presented lately, just pointing out.
This message used to be meaningful.
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

dariunas wrote:Thanks - it's always nice to hear :mrgreen:

Have the forest track completed now...

http://www.infectedmusicdesigns.co.uk/T ... Forest.ogg
Not bad, but for background music in MMORPG, I believe it is best to have more stepwise melodic tune (possibly in major chords) as they are not as captivating. The same with the sudden drumming.

Creating music for MMORPG game is indeed very challenging.
Shaili (a.k.a. tds)
Novice
Novice

Post by Shaili (a.k.a. tds) »

dariunas, I think this track is amazing. I tried it in-game and I must tell that suits the atmosphere in a great way. I hope to see your music implemented soon.

P.S.: Copied the track on my mp3 ;)
Ingame I am: Shaili, Lv. 9X

Image Proud Italian TMW Player

Image You can find me on Last.fm