New playerset's frames and animation

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Slave
Novice
Novice

Re: New playerset's frames and animation

Post by Slave »

alright so heres my urposal (sorry for crap quality it was a three minute job)

i was thinking the sprite is viewed from the side like in a bow position with the hand tucked to teh chest charging the magic energy, the next stage is the thrust the armo forward releasing the energy (Charge and Burst concept) i think we could accomplish a decent flow in 2-3 sprites

AND this same sprite would work with the "Scepter" weapons i wa sthinking of creating, they are magicians wands that have no real damage capability but boost magic damage by untold amounts. the sceptor fits in the hand and works perfect with this animation. its an amplifier weapon.

OH!!- i also need crush and others in the graphics field to go back over my Saviors Plate revisions with me, it was going good until you guys...just forgot? but i posted new additions and a new helmet idea.

thoughts?....
Attachments
img034.PNG
img034.PNG (32.38 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
like my avatar? i drew a concept of old savior plate which is now outaded in a bout 5 mins. if you have an avatar froma game you would like me to draw for you give me a PM.
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

Crush wrote:There were a couple of very promising animations in this thread I would have accepted gladly after some minor modifications (Those by Pauan were especially good). But unfortunately none of it got finished because the people who made them lost interest before starting the side- and back view.
In my defense, I only very heavily modified existing animations... :wink: My fault for being too lazy to finish the side ones though.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Charging up spells could and IMO should be a bit more traditional praying stance.
This message used to be meaningful.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Rise your hands up!
Slave
Novice
Novice

Post by Slave »

i think that looks foolish if its not a holy spell, praying should be kept to a religeous aspect. focusing magical energy to realease a fireball to incinerate enemies would make much better sense in a "battle-esq"stance.
like my avatar? i drew a concept of old savior plate which is now outaded in a bout 5 mins. if you have an avatar froma game you would like me to draw for you give me a PM.
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

Yeah I gotta agree with Slave on this one, it always looks a bit dorky to make the character look like it's praying, and then shoots a lighting bolt. Slave's concept looks like a good one to me. =)
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Due to a moss infection on a fingerless right arm, residents of the mana world has gained the ability to spontaneously mutilate their left arm for throwing purpose. :D
Slave
Novice
Novice

Post by Slave »

haha so funny saph *poke* :twisted:
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

Saphy wrote:Due to a moss infection on a fingerless right arm, residents of the mana world has gained the ability to spontaneously mutilate their left arm for throwing purpose. :D
99% of the time, when I say "lol" I am not actually laughing out loud; but this time, I really mean it.

lololooool :lol:
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I do like the generic idea of throwing the spell, but please at least make the charging up gesture look less like a medieval military greeting.
This message used to be meaningful.
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

Ooookay guys, I was bored and decided to do some tweaking. Tell me what you think! :) I may even decide to do the sides and back too. :wink:

Normal / with hat and shield:

Image Image

Compare with the old ones:

Image Image
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Excellent. The graphic requires only a few frames and covers a wide area which is very useful for gameplay purposes.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Yep not bad, if we only could have all the directions it would be a nice addition to the game and will help to develop the playerset further.
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Isn't Black Don's version more natural? Is it not the general principle not to over extend oneselves?

Anyway, regarding this attack sequence, the balance was definitely off. It doesn't make sense to have the torse twisted when the weapon is in front, it should twist when the weapon is at the side. Right now, it seems like the weapon is being swinged by the body, and the arm just happen to swing along without exerting any force.

Moreover, the player's waist and left feets has magically become thinner. From my understanding, in the game, object farther away doesn't get smaller, so it wouldn't make sense to have thin arm.

However, good job for improving it, it is definitely much better than the previous version (the bottom row, aww my eyes, the zombie effects - when animation resemble human, but not quite right), although it is still lacking in some positions.
Sertraline
Novice
Novice

Post by Sertraline »

Pauan's animation looks much more like a throwing weapon animation to me. Picture a discus flying from the sword-bearing hand, or try to find a movie of a baseball pitcher throwing a baseball, and it actually looks quite natural.

Don's rough animation does need some work (but I can't quite put my finger on it exactly), but it's definitely closer in the direction of fluid, natural one-handed sword slashing. The added bonus is that the first half could be reused for axe weapons. This would be a very elegant (partial) solution to the problem of creating loads and loads of new equipment sprites.

I suggest perfecting and using them both.