Anti Hacking (Few Hints)

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

kale91
Peon
Peon

Anti Hacking (Few Hints)

Post by kale91 »

You guys need to add something to the eAthena server to prevent (multiple hacking)

The client is open source, which is a good place for hackers (or modders, hacking is such a harsh term). It would be easy to double or triple what exp they get, walk faster get more more money from selling, I haven't looked to far in there, but it shouldn't be that hard ;).

Also they could make it so they can attack faster, hit harder and do it while walking.

Also have it check the users current process list and make sure there isn't anything running that could harm TMW in any way (Such as packet sniffers/editors). Check to make sure all values going in is a value your letting them have.

Thats about all I can tell you now, I will look further into this later, Thanks for your time.
Booty
Novice
Novice

Re: Anti Hacking (Few Hints)

Post by Booty »

kale91 wrote:You guys need to add something to the eAthena server to prevent (multiple hacking)

The client is open source, which is a good place for hackers (or modders, hacking is such a harsh term). It would be easy to double or triple what exp they get, walk faster get more more money from selling, I haven't looked to far in there, but it shouldn't be that hard ;).

Also they could make it so they can attack faster, hit harder and do it while walking.

Also have it check the users current process list and make sure there isn't anything running that could harm TMW in any way (Such as packet sniffers/editors). Check to make sure all values going in is a value your letting them have.

Thats about all I can tell you now, I will look further into this later, Thanks for your time.
The game is server based not client-based. Without "hacking" the server the most harm someone can do is make a really good bot.

Putting it another way, the game takes place on the server not your computer, any changes you make to the client only change how you perceive the game on the server not the actuality of the game.
packet sniffers and editors are also restricted in the same way.

Anybody who thinks they hacked the client (and the game) is just fooling themselves.
kale91
Peon
Peon

Post by kale91 »

I know what your talking about but there are ways around this. Let me find you the post from my old community.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

kale91 wrote:Also have it check the users current process list and make sure there isn't anything running that could harm TMW in any way (Such as packet sniffers/editors). Check to make sure all values going in is a value your letting them have.
Any kind of client-sided cheat prevention can be hacked, too. Especially when it is open source (and we won't create any propietary software which is required to play tmw). The only way to make an onlinegame cheat-proof is by making the server not sending any information to the client it isn't supposed to show to the player (like invisible enemies) and by not accepting commands from the client it isn't allowed to give (like moving the player character extremely fast).

And this is exactly what we are doing while programming TMWServ.

Unfortunately the RO netcode does not follow this principle and has a lot of gaping security holes in its design hoping that security by obscurity will conceal them. But instead of wasting time on fixing these problems we rather invest the time in TMWServ so we can get rid of eAthena once and for all.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.