Need something?

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Blodyavenger
Peon
Peon

Need something?

Post by Blodyavenger »

I'm new to "The Mana World" and I realy want to contribute somehow. Since my programming skill is not worth almost nothnig, I would like to contribute with my pixel art skills.

I have few examples for you to show:

Wooden hut (not finished)

Some armos I did for my work example

Some random "nature" sprites

Ofcourse, I'm still newbie and learning all the time. I know it's community project so I can contribute with any graphics, but its easier for me to do under request. So, if you need items graphics or some simple tiles or world object, just post down here and I'll try do make something :) Ofcourse I'm still studying so my time is kinda limited and I'm working for others as well, so this can't be realy quick. Just for info
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Need something?

Post by Crush »

When you want to do map tiles I would suggest you to focus on a different environment than forest because that way you avoid being directly compared to much more advanced artists like Len and Saphy and thus have a realistic chance to create something which gets into the game.

Now for the tiles themself.

The house:
(I am deliberately ignoring the "not finished" comment because you didn't say what you are going to change) The perspective and geometry are allright, the design is really interesting. But you still have to learn how to avoid black lines and how to establish a light direction. The sun of the mana world is south-west-up (over your left shoulder). So you just represent the edges toward the light source in a color which is brighter than the rest of the material instead of darker. Surfaces which are away from the light source (like the right half of the roof) should be generally darker.

The armor:
OK for an inventory icon but the really hard part when creating armors are the player sprites. After doing this the icon is usually a piece of cake.

The tree stumps:
The shading is good - this time you established the light source correctly. But the way you are drawing the bark is quite inconsistent with the other trees of TMW.

The mushrooms:
This time you blew the light direction again. The upper parts seems to be shaded from above and the lower part from below.

The bush:
You should take a look at the plants by Saphy in the Woodland Tileset thread. Also note that creating shadows by dithering is unnecessary because the TMW engine supports graphics with alpha transparency. What graphic program are you using? When it doesn't support alpha transparency you should consider switching to a more advanced one.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Blodyavenger
Peon
Peon

Post by Blodyavenger »

Thanks for all comments and guides to improvments, but that graphics were just to show examples I've done in the past :)
I'm already looking around and trying to get they style.

Where can I get sprite dolls? I would like to give it a try for paperdolling...

That's why I asked what is needed so I can work on one thing for start and try to catch the style. Ofcourse, thanks for lightning source, that will help

[EDIT:] I'm using Graphics Gale
Last edited by Blodyavenger on 13 Jun 2008, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Instructions for getting the resource files can be found here: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =13&t=2617

Regarding graphic programs: Most TMW developers (including me) use GIMP. Some use photoshop and I also like to recommend Paint.NET as an alternative for windows users. But you can use whatever you like as long as it creates valid 32bit PNG files and supports alpha channel.

Regarding "what is needed":
-Some people are begging for a new/alternative cave tileset, but I for myself consider this quite low priority because I prioritize development of new content instead of revising old content over and over again. There are people who see this different.
-We need a tileset for the civil buildings in the new trade city in woodland. More info here: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3289
-The ice area could need some new tiles to create a more diverse outdoor area (snow covered trees, for example)

This is what I can currently think of. Maybe someone else got some more ideas what could be needed?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Blodyavenger
Peon
Peon

Post by Blodyavenger »

Thanks for resource files link. I just started on one papordoll item, but I'm going to try something about mentioned requests as well. Playing with snow could be interested :)