Flowers

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Flowers

Post by Crush »

By the way: When you have any suggestions on how to use these flowers ingame (quests, for example) just post them.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

Crush wrote:By the way: When you have any suggestions on how to use these flowers ingame (quests, for example) just post them.
I like the Valentines Day idea, now we just need hart shaped boxes of chocolate. :P
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

A possible use is as dyes for clothing creation (or the existing clothing dye NPC).
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I thought a bit about the symbolism of the different colored rose and got an idea for a quest I would like to share:

Language of flowers quest
This quest is about a love story between a boy an a girl who communicate with each other by asking the player to bring each other roses of different colors. The different roses mentioned here are supposed to be frequent drop items from different kinds of recolored flower monsters (which become more and more stronger).

-Girl and Boy are long childhood friends. It's Girls birthday. Boy asks Player to give her 12 yellow roses (symbolizing friendship) as a birthday gift from him.
-Girl is flattered
-Boy wants more than just friendship and tries his luck by asking Player to give Girl 12 pink roses (symbolizing innocent love).
-Girl answers by asking Player to bring Boy 12 orange roses (symbolizing friendship becomming love)
-Boy wants to ask Girl out and wants to do so by sending her 12 red roses (romantic love)
-Girl would like to accept but her father is against it. She asks Player to tell Boy with 12 blue roses (impossible love).
-Boy gets angry at father of Girl and asks player to give him 12 black roses (death threat).
-Father is not impressed.
-Boy realizes that it is hopeless and sends Girl 12 dark red roses (sad love)
-Girl manages to persuade her father and sends Boy 12 white roses (everlasting love)
-The two live happily ever after.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

96 roses... :shock:

There are a few things I don't understand about that quest:

- why do they communicate with roses?
- Is there a reason why they can't talk to each directly?
- Why is it everytime 12 roses? When it's the girl birthday you can give for example the exact same amount of roses as her age, when the boy sends the black roses to the father you can send 13 roses, etc
- Why is the father against it? (this could be a simple reason, like boy is poor, girl is rich)
Red Lord
Novice
Novice

Post by Red Lord »

EJlol wrote:
- why do they communicate with roses?
- Is there a reason why they can't talk to each directly?
Possible because the girls father doesn't approve of their love for each other, so they must have messengers deliver roses so they both get messages from each other that are easy to interpret and show how they both feel.
EJlol wrote: - Why is it everytime 12 roses? When it's the girl birthday you can give for example the exact same amount of roses as her age, when the boy sends the black roses to the father you can send 13 roses, etc
I do agree that there should also be a different amount of roses each time.
EJlol wrote: - Why is the father against it? (this could be a simple reason, like boy is poor, girl is rich)
I agree, there should be a reason. Your example could be used and there are many others that could be used.
Formerly Blacklord
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

I like the quest but also agree it could be more enhanced with a little more back story.
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

I think Crush was almost reading my mind, I had a very similar idea. I may as well share mine, because it has a bit of backstory as well.

There is a princess, (or a daughter of a duke/elector, whatever the person is called when they rule a section of kingdom, not the actual king, but I think you should understand what I mean. I just can't think of what it's called.) and a young man. The 'princess' is the only daughter of this duke, and the young man is a soldier/guard, which is under command of a duke which doesn't like this 'princess's' father.

So, the 'princess's' father refuses to let his daughter love this soldier of the feuding duke.

The young man has tried to send notes to the 'princess', but alas the father reads everything before it gets to his daughter, and the notes "disappear" before the daughter gets to read them.

The 'princess' has come up with a plan, to communicate via code, via various flowers. Each flower color arranged in a certain order, will add up to a message.
This flower code was designed back when the boy and girl were younger, and the two dukes weren't feuding with each other, they had made this just simply for fun then.

The 'princess's' father, doesn't mind flowers coming in, because as far as he knows, they are just simply from down in the courtyard to pretty up his daugher's room, and bring a beautiful scent to the room.

The player never finds out what the messages read, so as to keep these notes private. But when the player delivers the flowers to the 'princess', she will give the player a reply note to give to the young man.

This whole thing should start from the player talking to the 'princess', who will explain to the player the whole ordeal. And give the player a note to give to the young soldier about her plan to use the flower code they came up with when they were children. And the player will have to find the young soldier, who the player would have probably already talked to in a previous town, mentioning vaguely something about love.

There are two endings I can think of, one involves the 'princess' and the young soldier running away, and leaving Argaes for good.
The other is about convincing the two dukes that it was a misunderstanding about what made them upset at each other, and then the two dukes get along, and the 'princess' and the soldier are able to get married.

I rather prefer the second option, since it brings more option for backstory, and more things can happen with the two dukes. But then again, the first option gives the chance for the player to meet up with the young man and girl on another continent.
I personally think that each quest should have more backstory than actual doing stuff.

I would also be willing to write out the whole backstory to this idea if the idea is liked.

Or perhaps this is a bit to cliché...:P
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
Dimond
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dimond »

Why don't you just make a dramatic romance show?
Just make a 30 minute animation....
Then again it took 1 year to make this cartoon I saw something on discovery about that...
But, you have plenty of time right?
By the way what is the point of the quest?
There should be special valentine items. :?
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

Dimond wrote:Why don't you just make a dramatic romance show?
Just make a 30 minute animation....
Then again it took 1 year to make this cartoon I saw something on discovery about that...
But, you have plenty of time right?
By the way what is the point of the quest?
There should be special valentine items. :?
Dimond wrote:Why don't you just make a dramatic romance show?
Because that won't help the game.
Dimond wrote:But, you have plenty of time right?
No.
Dimond wrote:By the way what is the point of the quest?
The only reason I am responding.

The same point for doing any quest in a game.
To enhance gameplay, to add story to game, to add involvement in world.
The purpose for this particular quest, to help out the young lady and man. The purpose for the player, to get a reward.
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
Shaggy
Novice
Novice

Post by Shaggy »

Ah. The first multi-quest quest...
Superkoop wrote:There is a princess, (or a daughter of a duke/elector, whatever the person is called when they rule a section of kingdom, not the actual king, but I think you should understand what I mean. I just can't think of what it's called.)
By 'a section of kingdom', do you mean a principality? If so, then princess is the correct term.
Enjoyed The Mana World? Then check out Aethyra (http://www.aethyra.com).
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

I have been looking into a few different nobility titles, and from what I was thinking was either a Duke or a Baron. (duke is the highest next to king, baron is lowest)( I'm not quite sure how the political system in Argaes will be, but since the backstory is in construction still, I'm sure some type of nobility could be added. )

Also, from Wikipedia, the term for the daughter would probably be 'The Lady', i.e. Lady Adriane. But I don't think we need to worry about this too much, since it can be whatever we deem sounds best.

And also, the girl doesn't necessarily need to be a daughter of a 'important' person, although I do think that it would be best story wise. But I do think the young lover man should be a soldier, since it would show that he is loyal to his country, and would give the girls father a reason to be upset.

It also seems like Dabe wants Argaes to kind of be fueding, for various reasons, so maybe this could tie in with the quest. But then again, I think this quest would make for a nice sideline sort of thing, rather than a important quest. =\
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
Vink
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Vink »

Superkoop wrote: Or perhaps this is a bit to cliché...:P
Yes, it is. :wink:
But I like the general idea of a romantic multi-quest quest. Perhaps you could just change the story a little, to make it less cliché? A good thing would be to avoid stereotypical gender roles.