New Map (South of 14-1)

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Arkyan
Peon
Peon

New Map (South of 14-1)

Post by Arkyan »

Fixed a few things from the file posted in the other thread (collision issues, cliff issue, me failing to allow enough buffer for a transition, etc) and here's the newer version. Tear it apart with comments, guys! Only way to improve things. :)

Edit:
Maps 14-1 and the one west of it will need to be altered slightly for the bridge being completed. TMXcopy still refuses to copy from this map to 14-1 for whatever reason, so could someone else attempt that and see if it works?

new_99-1.tmx
http://www.mediafire.com/?ylqemri42z2

Also, my mind went so numb while placing tree after tree that the area picked up it's own little storyline. The small shack was the home of an old man, Ray. He absolutely loved this forest and is responsible for keeping the forest path clear and adding a couple benches in the forest so travelers could rest and enjoy the forest. He was also an avid archer and had a couple targets set up in the forest to practice with. He used to make his own bows out of the finest logs and some rare ores found in the mountains. He taught his son, Roy, his archery and bow crafting skills as well. Roy, however, moved to the trade city at a young age with his mother, leaving his father, who refused to follow, alone in the forest. Ray continued to look after the forest and hone his archery and bow crafting skills. Some say he kept the forest path kept neat because he truly loved the place that much. Others say he made it so appealing because he was lonely and just wanted people to stop by for a visit. Despite his archery skills serving him well over the years, he eventually was no longer able to fend off the creatures living in the forest and was overcome by them. It is still unknown who buried Ray, but his grave can be found by the makeshift tombstone of a large rock on the edge of a small field behind his home. The red flowers around the forest were Ray's favorite, and a short time after he was buried, they began growing around his grave. Some people who have been in the forest lately say they have still seen the ghost of Ray watching after his home place, wandering the forest looking for someone to visit him.

I've also got a small idea for a quest that goes along with the story, but I need NPC's and the trade city, and probably a mob and unique loot. :P
5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Re: New Map (South of 14-1)

Post by 5t3v3 »

I like the depth and story you put into the map. Would be nice if somehow people could put together this story while traveling over the map.
Or perhaps there could be a sign explaining this at the graveyard...
In game characters: "5t3v3" and "L "
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Instead of Trade City, what if the bow master in Hurnscald (Alan) was his son (atleast for now).
Arkyan
Peon
Peon

Post by Arkyan »

I thought about having a historian or traveler somewhere nearby that explains the story, but a sign could implement it as well just as easily.

As far as Alan, that's feasable. It's definately not set in stone. :) My idea was the two knew each other somehow (the bowmaster and Ray) and maybe he would also be involved in the quest of obtaining one of Ray's bows. But him being his son or something either for the time being, or for good, could work as well.
zipon
Novice
Novice

Post by zipon »

I have been looking at your map and think it looks cool :D
But there are a collision problem at the clift, so i have made a fast fix for it.

Map - Image

Bye the way try to use the the ground layer (layer 0) for tiles that the player is walking at.
The object layer (layer 1 not the particle layer) for trees, object and some ground tiles.
and the over layer (layer 2) for the part of the clift tiles that cover the player and object tiles if you are trying to block a way where you are useing the object layer.
So over all try to use the lowest layer you can :)

One of the reasen why it good to do it like that is if another mapper have to help out it makes it alot easyer :wink:

Hope you understand what im trying to say hehe