PERMANENT DEATH

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Habari
Novice
Novice

PERMANENT DEATH

Post by Habari »

i think it would be a good idea if players could die forever
this is accounts erased after a period of time

reasons:
1. it would control inflation
2.old players would start again and wouldn't get bored of the game
3.would make lvl of diff players similar
4.it would free space in servers hard drive (at least a small bit :lol: )
5.if old people die it gives a realistic touch to the game
6.an extra feature is always fun :P

it could happen in the following ways:
1. if you get killed lots and lots of times
2.after playing for a long period
3.more suggestions?? :roll:
Shaggy
Novice
Novice

Re: PERMANENT DEATH

Post by Shaggy »

There seems to be too many problems:

a) Many people complain (quite understandably) about any character resets.
b) Do new features always mean more fun? If for example a new 'feature' came along which stopped you seeing what you were doing, the game would very quickly grind to a halt. In this instance, the 'feature' would only detract, not add.
c) Players won't be bothered to build up their characters if they know that they will be wiped.

If anything like this were to happen, it would need to be a lot less severe!
Enjoyed The Mana World? Then check out Aethyra (http://www.aethyra.com).
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

There was a "permanent death" not too long ago. I believe some accounts that weren't used for however long were removed.
And I do hope that some..."player"... *cough cough* hacker *cough* ... gets some "permanent [internet] death" real soon. :twisted:

Although this idea just has too many things wrong with it, mainly, losing your character after you finally reach a higher level.
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
GonzoDark
Warrior
Warrior

Post by GonzoDark »

I vote against this idea because this would:

1. It will ruin the game for existing players
1a. Because they will lose their high level account
1.b Because they will lose their rare items from events
1.c Because people will do nick stealing

2. This will scare new players away
2.a they will die all the time in the start of the game = make a new account = die again = new account (and so on)
2.b the new players don't have any money in the start, and if they want a armor or a better weapon, then they need to beg. (and no one wants that)

and so on.

// GonzoDark
Last edited by GonzoDark on 03 Jul 2008, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
IchigoBlack (86) a.k.a GonzoDark (80) || HolyManaClan

Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

First, I would like to point out that it seems the wrong arguments are being used for this conversation. When a 'feature' like perma-death is implemented, it changes the way the game is developed/balanced. Instead of developing for 'end game' content (the highest levels/best gear/hardest mobs) the developers need to design something that makes the 'beginning game' content interesting. There may be some happy medium where you get some huge buff if you select to create a character with perma-death, but that would start to make it difficult to balance.

On a similar note, I do not see why there should not be an option for a server admin to enable/disable perma-death on the server they are running, so while we have some grubby fingers in the code, maybe it would be something the devs could put in there as an option.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Hmmm... We could make a "hardcore" server which works like the hardcore mode in diablo: When you die your character is dead and there is no way to revive it. I wonder how popular this server would be.

But the normal gameplay should not feature any permadeath. People just grow too attached to their character to lose it eventually for some reason. The arguments mentioned by Habari don't really outweight the frustration growing from this.
it would control inflation
No, it won't, because players will transfer their items to their new character when they realize their character will permadie soon.
old players would start again and wouldn't get bored of the game
There is nothing which stops people from creating a new character without their old character getting deleted.
would make lvl of diff players similar
There are other ways to make the power curve flatter.
it would free space in servers hard drive (at least a small bit )
Not really an issue.
if old people die it gives a realistic touch to the game
Fun Gameplay is always more important than realism
an extra feature is always fun
Common misconception. New features which aren't thought out well enough before implementation can easily ruin an existing gameplay.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Booty
Novice
Novice

Post by Booty »

To avoid permanent death why not just make it increasingly expensive to stay alive. Like using more and more life extending potions.

Gives a higher level player a reason to get off their butts and work, and gives them an outlet for their largess.

I am a advocate for permanent death but it should be calculated by in game time not real time.
5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Post by 5t3v3 »

I don't like the idea of inevitable death for the reasons Crush pointed out. However the risk of permanent death might indeed add depth to the game. So how about for example a status ailment that inflicts perma-death if not cured within a certain time frame. Seems like a fair in between road?
In game characters: "5t3v3" and "L "
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Habari wrote:i think it would be a good idea if players could die forever
this is accounts erased after a period of time

reasons:
1. it would control inflation
2.old players would start again and wouldn't get bored of the game
3.would make lvl of diff players similar
4.it would free space in servers hard drive (at least a small bit :lol: )
5.if old people die it gives a realistic touch to the game
6.an extra feature is always fun :P

it could happen in the following ways:
1. if you get killed lots and lots of times
2.after playing for a long period
3.more suggestions?? :roll:
simply bullshit, nothing more to say
mon
Peon
Peon

Post by mon »

This can also be done in the forums. An account deletions thread. I think...
Permanent death. I haven't come across a game where death is permanent and enjoyable.
Death in games already serve their penalties and challenges in every game.
a.k.a. - Achel
Jonan
Peon
Peon

Post by Jonan »

Crush wrote:Hmmm... We could make a "hardcore" server which works like the hardcore mode in diablo: When you die your character is dead and there is no way to revive it. I wonder how popular this server would be.
I would really like to see that :twisted:
I've always loved that mode in diablo where you couldn't just go to the boss to try luck.

Looking forward for this server :wink:
Habari
Novice
Novice

Post by Habari »

1. Ruin the game for existing players
or make it more fun
1a. Losing a high level account
thats the point
1.b Losing rare items from events
maybe those items could be kept
2. Scare new players away
why?
2.a dieing all the time in the start of the game = new account = dieing all the time in the start of the game = new account (and so on)
that would remain the same without PD
2.b the new players don't have any money in the start, and if they want a armor or a better weapon, then they need to beg. (and no one wants that)
i dint beg a single time when i was newbie
Crush wrote:No, it won't, because players will transfer their items to their new character when they realize their character will permadie soon.
they don't know when he will die
Crush wrote:There is nothing which stops people from creating a new character without their old character getting deleted.
i know , but who does it??
Crush wrote:Common misconception. New features which aren't thought out well enough before implementation can easily ruin an existing gameplay.
yes , but features can be tested
Habari
Novice
Novice

Post by Habari »

i understand i may have chosen the wrong arguments , i am very bad at expressing my ideas,
but i think this is an interesting one :oops:
i would want to add a couple of things:
1.its not that when a fixed x days pass you lose everything , it would take into account , days you've played , lvl , items , etc
2.Some players , under my point of view , are more worried of possessing items and money,
than of having fun playing
3. PD is not radical :P , but death now , is more of a good thing , beacuse you dont have to walk back home :P some peolple even kill themselves on purpose :!: :!: :!: , death is supposed to b a bad :twisted: thing.
4.at death you could donate some (5 to 20 %) of your items to another character and 30% of money , that player could inherit your name too
5. things like cheating or abusing should have instant PD.
6.Alcohol drinking : it could be fun too see how muxh you drink before dyeing
7. these players could start at lvl 10 or 20 instead of 1
GonzoDark
Warrior
Warrior

Post by GonzoDark »

Habari wrote:i understand i may have chosen the wrong arguments , i am very bad at expressing my ideas,
but i think this is an interesting one :oops:
i would want to add a couple of things:
1.its not that when a fixed x days pass you lose everything , it would take into account , days you've played , lvl , items , etc
2.Some players , under my point of view , are more worried of possessing items and money,
than of having fun playing
3. PD is not radical :P , but death now , is more of a good thing , beacuse you dont have to walk back home :P some peolple even kill themselves on purpose :!: :!: :!: , death is supposed to b a bad :twisted: thing.
4.at death you could donate some (5 to 20 %) of your items to another character and 30% of money , that player could inherit your name too
5. things like cheating or abusing should have instant PD.
6.Alcohol drinking : it could be fun too see how muxh you drink before dyeing
7. these players could start at lvl 10 or 20 instead of 1

I know what you are trying to tell us Habar BUT that is, in my opinion, not the right direction of this game, and like Crush said:
Crush wrote:Hmmm... We could make a "hardcore" server which works like the hardcore mode in diablo: When you die your character is dead and there is no way to revive it. I wonder how popular this server would be.
Nuff said

// GonzoDark
IchigoBlack (86) a.k.a GonzoDark (80) || HolyManaClan

Miana
Peon
Peon

Post by Miana »

Personally I have never viewed losing a character as a favorable aspect of the game. I understand clearing out old accounts that are inactive for a very long duration, though this is more admin maintenance, and not something added to the game play of the world.

This does bring up penalties for dying though. Right now, you can go anywhere, and die anywhere, and the only setback is having to go from your last stone point to where you were. Haven't really noticed any exp loss, or equipment loss, or anything like that. In a lot of games, you lose a good deal of experience, or in other games you need to get back to where you died to get your items back.

There is nothing wrong with penalties and setbacks from death. Though character deletion in my opinion is just too severe.

- Miana