skills/job system

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

sebastien00
Peon
Peon

skills/job system

Post by sebastien00 »

i think since the game has a create your own character for skills and actual jobs use a similar system to final fantasy tactics for the Playstation one it was remade recently for the psp with a similar name using this system would be great as it would take a long time to gain skills from each job and unlocking jobs as well

just an idea...
sebastien00
Peon
Peon

Re: skills/job system

Post by sebastien00 »

unrelated but if you had 10 to 20 seconds to pick your own items before other people go and steal them that would be great
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

sebastien00 wrote:i think since the game has a create your own character for skills and actual jobs use a similar system to final fantasy tactics for the Playstation one it was remade recently for the psp with a similar name using this system would be great as it would take a long time to gain skills from each job and unlocking jobs as well

just an idea...
Can you please buy me a copy of the game and a PSP so that I can take a look how this system works? Unfortunately I don't own every game system and every game ever made.

Alternatively you could just describe how the system works.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Crush wrote:
sebastien00 wrote:i think since the game has a create your own character for skills and actual jobs use a similar system to final fantasy tactics for the Playstation one it was remade recently for the psp with a similar name using this system would be great as it would take a long time to gain skills from each job and unlocking jobs as well

just an idea...
Can you please buy me a copy of the game and a PSP so that I can take a look how this system works? Unfortunately I don't own every game system and every game ever made.

Alternatively you could just describe how the system works.
This should do. I haven't read it myself yet.
sebastien00
Peon
Peon

Post by sebastien00 »

is so hard to look it up? :roll: just type the name of the game in Google and read if u really want to play get a ps1 emulator and final fantasy tactics for PS1
Lecter
Novice
Novice

Post by Lecter »

ok, briefly this isnt a bad idea,

ff tactics job system is a prerequise tree, to be job x u need to have job y at level z and job u at level v...
the thing i like is that you can only use 1 job at a time, meaning even a max level wizard can need to start his knight at level 1.

You can modify that system by allowing players to receive bonuses from more than 1 class at a time, doing a main class that would give some bonus to which ever other classes the player use.
Also this works well for crafting professions, to be a carpenter you need lumberjack at level 10.

Also adding stashes for players wouldnt be a bad idea, for some create accounts just to have mules.

Other harder ideas would be to allow players to control more than 1 character at a time, like swords of the new world in which players use 3 characters at a time.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Then it's not really a system for us. We already decided to go with a classless system and designed the whole game concept around this premise.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Lecter
Novice
Novice

Post by Lecter »

Then what is Skills

Basic job level 10?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I was talking about the new gameplay on the new server.

Also note that having skills does not necessarily imply a class system.
  • NOT a game master

Lecter
Novice
Novice

Post by Lecter »

skills is a way to do a class system, and such system can change.

like skills time magic would give different time spell abilities, this is equivalent to a class in ffxi.
Basic skills giving sit at some point, its an ability, if a skill give couple different abilities it can be compared to partitionned classes.

Also some ideas here can be applied to skill system, like prerequises, maximising a skill, being able to select a certain number of active skills, while other arent used at a time, having few main skills receiving full skill xp.
sebastien00
Peon
Peon

Post by sebastien00 »

its like there is only one character which can do it all but only parts of it at the same time, everyone can make a unique character and access the whole game
Angeliex
Peon
Peon

Post by Angeliex »

My current idea. We have a job level why not use it? Increase the maximum job level to 50+. Names should be changed if used. I was just making them up. Initial class should be chosen upon registering new character. Attribute points should be given to abilities as well as to status. Note: this would divide skills between weapons and abilities.
I'm not writing mp reduction rate.

.:.Job Level.:.

Peon -
A balanced new character.
Skills -

Eyes of Fury - Increases attack temporarily. Increases by 5% each time the ability is leveled.

Iron Ward - Same effect as "EoF" but for defence.

Eagle's Verity - The next bow 10 shots will at a higher accuracy. Increase 5% per level.

Mystic Augment - Increases Intelligence by (10*skill-level)%

Metal Veil - Doubles defense for (.5*skill-level) minutes.

Gauntlet of Rage - Doubles attack for (.5*skill-level) minutes.

Archer -

Arcanist -

Elementeer -

I will write the rest later.
A pencil is an extension the arm.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

There won't be a job level on the new server. We won't have any MP either. And as I said, there won't be any classes.

Instead of that any character can learn anything (using a learning-by-doing system), but your attribute distribution will decide what you are good at.

Read the wiki for more information.
  • NOT a game master

Iceslab
Peon
Peon

Post by Iceslab »

Hmmm.... I think there should be job classes.... Being able to go into anything is kinda lame, and there should be more focus on branching out through your characters job.

You choose rogue, later on you would either like to become a scout, then sniper. Or branch it into thief, luckymicluckertin. Or bandit then assassin.

Could make a really good game doing this, adding even more jobs in the future you could branch into. Each job would have a set of skills you can either learn, find, or start with.

Btw, if you havn't figured it out yet luckymicluckertin would have a luck increase in finding items from mobs.
Lecter
Novice
Novice

Post by Lecter »

Agree, the game already got xp for the jobs themselves, I even think a limit break bar would be good.
I also think a stash is vital to the game.

Players seems to agree to this ingame.