Seasons,Weather,Events and Professions:Creating/selling item

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Seasons,Weather,Events and Professions:Creating/selling item

Post by Rotonen »

I'd like to see the overlay which is able to pull off winter.
This message used to be meaningful.
Lecter
Novice
Novice

Post by Lecter »

It is possible to implement graphical changes on tiles, or even some other effects undrawing a map into the other, (like per pixel change, making fractions of tiles change, etc).

However, it is true that redrawing a map is better, but what if it itsnt only the images who become redrawn, but also the value of ground tiles (obstacles) like an iced lake turning into thin ice (warning players off) then becaming water (splash then player goes back to where he entered map from with -10% maxhp (can die) and -10% remaining mp), this could also be a basic to make obstacles move (like mechanical crushing walls) or appear (like falling ice stalactites that then melt leaving the path free again).

It would be best to implement movable obstacles first and effects on monsters/npc/players/otherobjects, this might require 1.changing the boolean definition of ground (passable/unpassable/sliding effects on ice/ different movement speed (could also depend on foot types like in wesnoth)/ sliding down a hill and being slowed mounting a stair) into a group of ground types, 2. 3D property (flying over obstacles (flying wouldnt be able to pass on ground values of 0, but can over ground values of 2,3,4...) 3. Effects related on being on a moving object players standing on a moving flying carpet.

All of this requires much more programming, but give lots of interesting features that change the game drastically.

Still, re-orienting map exits could be kept in mind on some possible stuff, like "rewiring" a maze of identically looking maps.

Oh an overlay would be simple, you add a Sunny effect over all the map, then change snow and ice stuff into melting stuff, (except snowy objects like snowy trees that would directly turn back (unless art being provided), for an example ice becaming thin warning players to get off.
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Post by feline monstrosity »

jaxad0127 wrote:
feline monstrosity wrote:I suppose it's not possible for the map to actually change... you know, like it would just start snowing and the tiles would fade into the winter versions. I guess if it was possible/feasible it would have been suggested already.
That has been discussed for day/night transitions.
If it can be done for day and night then I don't see why it can't be done for seasons. Unless day and night is done with overlay effects.
~Feline Monstrosity
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

feline monstrosity wrote:
jaxad0127 wrote:
feline monstrosity wrote:I suppose it's not possible for the map to actually change... you know, like it would just start snowing and the tiles would fade into the winter versions. I guess if it was possible/feasible it would have been suggested already.
That has been discussed for day/night transitions.
If it can be done for day and night then I don't see why it can't be done for seasons. Unless day and night is done with overlay effects.
What was discussed was tile dying for the transition, which wouldn't work for all seasons. I think a mix of overlays/weather with alternate tilesets and some dying might work for seasons.