Character sprites

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

Jetryl wrote:Kyokai - don't feel discouraged. Just because you make mistakes doesn't mean it's not helping.

Anyways, I would note that you guys might want to shrink the forehead back one or two pixels for the sideways frames - right now this fella is looking to have quite a big head.
Thanks, Jetryl. :D

By the way, you don't feel like helping out do you? We're always looking for some fresh blood in the project.
The Mana World System Coordinator.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
Jetryl
Novice
Novice

Post by Jetryl »

Kyokai wrote:By the way, you don't feel like helping out do you? We're always looking for some fresh blood in the project.
No, I'm sorry to say I can't, at least not directly (subtle clause there).

I'm all for helping out open-source games, but it just so happens that I'm working on a different game - Battle for Wesnoth, for which I am the lead graphics designer. I've made a bloody lot of images for those guys (to the point where it is getting a little crazy - I've probably poured a few thousand hours into that project). I really sucked at the start, but as time's gone on, I've come up with some completely original work that I'm quite proud of, darnitall:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

So, no, I can't help directly, but, because battle for wesnoth is an open-source game, too, any of our images can be used by you guys - even just parts of the image. Feel free to take what you want - this is the true power of open-source - we can share.

-----

Why am I here, though? It just so happens that Talaroc is a good buddy of mine in the real world. I'm just lurking, and watching what he's working on. If I can offer him any helpful advice on the way - I'm more than happy to - that's what friends are for.

Talaroc is a pretty sharp guy, and he's got "the gift," as they say. Be nice to him, follow his advice (he's got a pretty good idea of what he's doing), and you might watch him grow into your very own graphics lead.

-----
[edit] Oh yeah - that does imply that, yes, I am a contemporary of the great neorice. He did a lot of good work on wesnoth. No, he's not coming back here, leastways not unless you guys do something amazing.

Speaking of which - like myself, Talaroc is a mac user. The game wouldn't even run on my machine (IIRC, the server no longer works with the old version), and I doubt it did any better on his.

You might want to get him a running mac version, since it's kinda silly having a graphic artist who can't even play the darn game he's working on. He's shown surprising patience and faith on that point so far - but do not take that for granted.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Don't worry I already love Talaroc.

Great drawings but I'm sorry to say that TMW graphic art will be a lot better :twisted:

We are not taking his patience as granted don't worry, maci and Catfish_Man are hardly working on the Mac version. We aim to release mac binaries together with windows ones when we release 0.0.11 (Not so many days left :wink: )
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

It's always great to get attention from people I admire. I'm a big fan of the Wesnoth project. Keep up the good work there too! ;)
nym
Novice
Novice

Post by nym »

hehe, thats some nice console style pixel art ;)

but as Elven said, TMW art is going to pwn ;). Hehe.

(hello everyone, this is another random post by nym ;))
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

Great art Jetryl. It's a shame you're already busy, I really like your style.
Anyhow, battle for wesnoth looks really cool. I think I might take a look at it.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
Jetryl
Novice
Novice

Post by Jetryl »

:| If you get a mac version running, I'd like to give playing this game a try.

Anyways, though, I should go back to lurking.
(Thanks for the compliments, btw. It took a lot of work to get that good.)
Here's hoping talaroc can meet those lofty expectations you have of him :wink:
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Wow, feel the love. :D I should leave for a week more often...
Anyway, now I'm back, so I'll actually be able to do work on the graphics again.

And yes, I am eagerly awaiting a working Mac release.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Any news to report about playerset development?
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

Elven Programmer wrote:Any news to report about playerset development?
:( :( I'm looking forward to working on the clothing sets... please get done soon Talaroc!!!
View the Systems
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

The last couple of weeks have been crazy, but I'll have the finished sets up as soon as I can.
nym
Novice
Novice

Post by nym »

Nice Talaroc, TMW needs a new playerset :D
Jetryl
Novice
Novice

Post by Jetryl »

Kyokai wrote:
Elven Programmer wrote:Any news to report about playerset development?
:( :( I'm looking forward to working on the clothing sets... please get done soon Talaroc!!!
You could start working on the walking forward/standing forward frames, since he has finished those... :roll:
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Little mini upload here. I've got (some of) Jetryl's sprites, and am doing a little tweaking work to make them a bit more suited to my idea of the style. For tonight, I've got the male one:
old sprite: Image new sprite: Image
Changes: I moved the shoulders down a bit, as they looked too hunched/bulky for the age and build of the character. I also smoothed the outline, and reworked the outlining on the legs a little bit so they fit with the rest of the sprite. There were also a few single-pixel changes here and there, but nothing else of great significance.

Well? What's the verdict on these changes?
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

It's hard to get the changes, but looking at the whole sprite I like it more, especially the legs look better. I'm still a bit confused about the feet, the seems still a bit too square maybe.
I'd like also to have a sprite without hair so we can paste on it different hair styles, but if you need to have hair for sprite development well then doesn't matter...