nycsounddesign music track

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

nycsounddesign
Peon
Peon

nycsounddesign music track

Post by nycsounddesign »

This is a new thread regarding the music for The Mana World that nycsounddesign & dariunas are collaborating on.
It was originally posted in another section of the forum, but it was suggested that a new thread be started to make things easier for everyone. So here is the new thread.

I have uploaded a new track to the following url:
http://www.mediafire.com/?y4cyzd25jsn

I didn't know what environmental setting to write for, so I composed a song "loop" which seems to me to be suitable for a forest environment, or maybe a marketplace, gloomy tavern, or a castle.

It's also pretty minimalist so that dariunas can collaborate with me on it.

Please offer any comments on it's texture, pacing, quality, etc. so that the best possible music for the gameplay can be written.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: nycsounddesign music track

Post by Rotonen »

The attack and pacing make it kind of invasive.

The theme itself is quite solid, but I'd move it from string-like elements to flute-like elements (ocarinas anyone?).
This message used to be meaningful.
nycsounddesign
Peon
Peon

Post by nycsounddesign »

Cool, I'm working on a less invasive ocarina remix.
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

The song doesn't really seem like a forest type of song, probably the guitar type of instrument that does this, but rather feels more like...hmmm. Let me explain what it makes me think.

When I hear the song, it reminds me of the part of the story when there is no fighting, but like a cut scene where a story is being told, and what is happening in the story is sad.
So as it is now, I think it feels like a cut scene type song, or a title screen song.

And some of the notes could use some softening so they aren't so harsh.

I do like the theme though. :)
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
nycsounddesign
Peon
Peon

Post by nycsounddesign »

Thank you for the feedback.

Here is a different mix, after considering Rotonen's input.
I started the new version before reading superkoop's comments, so I'll take those into account after the newer version gets some feedback.
I'm glad the theme is getting some good reviews.

a new mix is available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ujwmutlxfjb

Please Comment, especially in regards to the pacing and texture-Thanks!
Last edited by nycsounddesign on 27 Jul 2008, 01:43, edited 1 time in total.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Much more like it.

I like the utilization of the bells in the background very much.

Although it gives off the feeling that it is somehow in a hurry. It should be elongated and paced down a bit.

The first buildup and echo to it / how you come down from it is something I do not like. (~00:12-00:20)

The elements I like the most about this start at around 00:30 and continue through to the end.

Evolving further on this, I think this has the basic potential for some nicely looping ~5min structure.
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

Wow, now this is starting to get really good. No longer a sad type of song (good thing), but it now reminds me of a nomad-ish song with the cymbals (also good). This would be a good temple song.

I don't so much like the flute instrument that the song starts with, but at about 31-32 the instrument changes, and it sounds more pleasing to the [my] ear.

I agree with Rotonen, this would make a nice longer song, it has the potential I think. :)
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
nycsounddesign
Peon
Peon

Post by nycsounddesign »

Ok, good!
I will start using the arrangement of instruments that were employed around the 30 second mark, slow the pacing, and refine the melody.
I'm also going to listen to some Basil Poledouris tonight, as it was mentioned that this song had a "temple" feel to it.
I'll post another mix when it's ready.
Thanks, and please offer any more feedback, as I will use it to make better melodies, and establish unique arrangements of instruments.
nycsounddesign
Peon
Peon

Post by nycsounddesign »

Hi, I've been working on a new mix.
It's only about a minute and a half long now, but I slowed the pacing, changed the instrumentation, and added a few things.
I have more concepts I'm going to write into this melody, and am going to refine many more elements.
it has just been about a week or two, and I wanted to post some of the new ideas I've been working on so I can get some fresh feedback.

I think the pacing might be a little too slow, and think that some of the instruments need to have more life and play the melody tighter, but anyway, here's a newer mix!
Please tell me what you think. I know it'll continue to get better!

It is available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?tgjtcmigcip
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

Instrumentation is a more focused and the balance is lighter and easier on the ear, I like...

I think the tempo you had on the 2nd version was the best, did you slow this down a bit more since...? As it is sounding a little more sombre than the 2nd one...

00:30 - 0:48 - in terms of rhythm, I'm thinking perhaps the harmonic notes in the pipes are shifting with the melody too closely...? (perhaps a few notes held a bit longer in the harmony will hold it tighter... or I suspect when you tighten up the melody as you were saying, the related harmonic elements would follow? :mrgreen:

1:00-1:05 - Do you think this could be maintained a little longer? At the moment it's a kinda little bridge to the buildup section I comment on next...

1:05 - From here to the end sounds great! The harmonies and buildup is very nice... But you may find yourself running into problems tying it back to the opening to loop... Personally, I think this section would be perfectly suited as the closure of a title music track, but perhaps not on this one...? Anyone else feel this?

It's shaping up nicely methinks :)
nycsounddesign
Peon
Peon

Post by nycsounddesign »

Thanks! I'm going to work on all of that stuff.
I agree that the tempo should be faster.

Also, Gonzodark asked me to write some cave music, so here is some of that.
I took it in a couple of different directions, and would like to hear what the TMW community thinks.
Here is a sample:

http://www.mediafire.com/?gzjtzewldhu

Also, does anyone know of a forum thread where I can learn more about the differences between The Mana World, and The Mana Experiment?-Thanks
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

The cave piece is somehow very FF7-ish. Reminds me of the Midgard sector themes.

Also reminds me of the coal mine theme from Ragnarok Online towards the end. Oh those days of powergrinding.
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

Certainly in agreement with what Rotonen says - a very FFVII-like feel, like the slums and the instrumentation reminds me of Wall Street Market. Has the more reverberant elements for a cave in there also.

I think the song retains a lightheartedness and feel that is absent from pretty much all the existing music on TMW - the kind of vibe that makes FF music so catchy and memorable. The feel and instrumentation of the track is well matched to the visual style. Even the more electronic sounds which has in the past been quite controversial here, seems to fit right in... and of course, the looping is spot on.

Personally, I think this is perfect - Great work! :wink:
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I think it could be a bit longer. No matter how good the music: Just 1:36 of it will getting repetive after some hours of grinding.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Powergrinders usually average out on 8 to 10 hours of consecutive grinding (plus maintenance time in the towns afterwards) and hence just switch off the game music and have their own playlists running.

But yes, 5 to 10 minutes should be something we are aiming for. Fools the ear enough with variation over time.