Herbal Topic, Weapon Topic, Whatever Topic... :P

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Herbal Topic, Weapon Topic, Whatever Topic... :P

Post by i »

I just made some new herbs. As I remember herbs were used in Ragnarok Online as medicine and of course for cloth dying.

ImageImageImageImage

It would be nice to have them dropped by MOBS instead irrational potions. I always wonder why MOBS are caring potions, daggers, full plate mails, and other goodies instead of natural resources like leafs, herbs, stones, slimes.
Last edited by i on 13 Apr 2008, 00:00, edited 1 time in total.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Herbal Topic

Post by Crush »

The herb graphics you made could be recolored dynamically and represent different quality grades.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Crush wrote:The herb graphics you made could be recolored dynamically and represent different quality grades.
Indeed. So I leave the rest in yours developers hands :)
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

I would only think that a mob could drop armor or weapons if it in fact is wielding said armor or weapon, like if a scorpion had a dagger in one of its claws and had a helmet on its tail.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

zick wrote:I would only think that a mob could drop armor or weapons if it in fact is wielding said armor or weapon, like if a scorpion had a dagger in one of its claws and had a helmet on its tail.

I could understand a large monster dropping an arrow or a sword as these still might be stuck inside them from previous battles. But I fail to understand what snakes are doing with blue jeans!

Perhaps we are over thinking this
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/169933
Pixel Battalion
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

oh one more offtpic thing.

long time ago I draw some weapons and shield icons.

This one was made as Dragoner - from my old concept art

I think it should be replaced by more recent version:
Dragoner-ico.png
Dragoner-ico.png (1.27 KiB) Viewed 4368 times
Dragoner-preview.png
Dragoner-preview.png (9.42 KiB) Viewed 4367 times
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Herbal Topic, Weapon Topic, Whatever Topic... :P

Post by Crush »

Inspired by your herb graphics I designed an alchemy system: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... sh/Alchemy

Would you maybe feel like creating potion bottles for it?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Crush wrote:Inspired by your herb graphics I designed an alchemy system: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... sh/Alchemy

Would you maybe feel like creating potion bottles for it?
Yep I saw it. I'm working on bottles and potions ;)
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

When it comes to alchemy, other things besides herbs should go into the mix ... like maybe a small metal ore for a defense potion (to protect your insides), or eyes of snakes (a spoil from snakes), or berries from trees and bushes, etc. also all these other items should be be able to create dyes for cloth based clothing, while ores can be used for "dying" metals.

Oh I was thinking of how tinctures are made, here's 2 ideas: first is to make a "tea" of these items at a coffee house or at your house if you have a stove and a tea kettle, or you can make them in the field at hot springs by steeping ingredients there, though the effectiveness wont be as good.
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

Hi,

The same herbs as above, just bleached for easy dyeing:
herb-leaf-0.png
herb-leaf-0.png (1.35 KiB) Viewed 4021 times
herb-leaf-1.png
herb-leaf-1.png (1.37 KiB) Viewed 4021 times
herb-leaf-2.png
herb-leaf-2.png (1.38 KiB) Viewed 4023 times
-- fate
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

Hi,

And here's the missing one:
herb-leaf-3.png
herb-leaf-3.png (1.33 KiB) Viewed 4004 times
(In all honesty, the purpose of this message and the last one was only to reduce the risk of the original artist's graphics getting lost.)

-- fate
Shaggy
Novice
Novice

Post by Shaggy »

In principle, I like the idea behind the potion system, but some parts need reworking. Take, for instance you need twice as many leaves for a healing drink than a healing tincture, whereas it only adds an extra 50% to the effect. That being so, it is better for the character to make two tinctures than a drink.

Also,
Wiki wrote:Makes the user spam emoticons and inserts random smilies in the users chat messages for a moderate amount of time.
Is this really an anti-depressant? don't we have enough problem with spammers already, without making it an official part of the game?
Enjoyed The Mana World? Then check out Aethyra (http://www.aethyra.com).
niels.ellegaard
Peon
Peon

Post by niels.ellegaard »

It could be fun to have some herbs that newbies could find and sell to the rich high level players. That would give the newbies a chance to earn an extra buck, and it would create more economic interaction in the game.

Perhaps these herbs could grow in newbie areas, and they could spawn so seldomly that the high level players would not bother to harvest them themselves.

EDIT: Alternatively you could introduce something like a maggot slime extract that was made from 20 maggot slimes. If this extract was useful to the alchemists, then the newbies would be able to sell their maggot slimes.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

niels.ellegaard wrote:EDIT: Alternatively you could introduce something like a maggot slime extract that was made from 20 maggot slimes. If this extract was useful to the alchemists, then the newbies would be able to sell their maggot slimes.
Fate and I were talking about an inventory-based shop system, where certain items need to have a stock of certain drops to be available. Most non-equipment, non-consumable drops could be used. Unfortunately, eAthena won't make this easy. TMWServ makes it easier.