TMW has a real world map now

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

TMW has a real world map now

Post by Kyokai »

You can see it under world development or see it here. Below is the preliminary world map for TMW:

The Mana World System Coordinator.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

cool ;]
nym
Novice
Novice

Post by nym »

ooh. nice. That looks very cool :D

Reminds me of Ultima... which i love :)
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

This one was made by ItsNerveDamage

ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Oh forgot about it, here are the temples
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

nice nice and nice again ^^
all these drawings are pretty good
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Kyokai: You're still hanging with the newbie issues that are created by having the temples on the outside edges of the continent. What are your thoughts on having new players able to get between at least a couple of the temples to acquire their magic, without making the major gameplay areas (the space in between the temples, in this layout) utterly boring for high-level players?

And I'm hoping that laying the map out as a continent means you're no longer trying to keep the world fully contained within that map, and are making allowances for map expansion...

Elven: Cool stuff, although I'm not really hot on the temples. Mostly because (and I can't remember who it was that I was talking to about this earlier) I really don't think that they should all be "temples" in the classical sense of the word. Check out my descriptions in the wiki (http://themanaworld.sourceforge.net/wik ... rElemental and http://themanaworld.sourceforge.net/wik ... eElemental) to see what I mean. For the ones that are actually buildings, I'd like to see really creative construction, like what I saw in this image in the concept art page: http://themanaworld.sourceforge.net/upl ... temple.jpg
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Hmmm I could agree about the temples, maybe it's better to not have them in building shape, but we can use those nice art as buildings related to temples, maybe places where people could pray their gods and so on...

About the map well I like the Nerve style on ,it, I'll try to give it some color when I have some spare time.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

The temples will need to be evaluated (I like some of them, but as always, in my opinion some of them need retouching.)
Aacheron
Peon
Peon

Post by Aacheron »

It would have been a good idea to coordinate the temple descriptions on the Wiki with the NPC writer(s), who are responsible for creating the sages themselves, or at least writing them up, so to speak. Well, nothing's carved into stone yet, but I've been conjuring up sages and mages left and right, with not as much as a word from either Kyokai nor Talaroc about anything else related to world-designing...

And Kyokai, I thought we/you were going to change the name of the desert realm from Amzeroth to something less Azeroth-like...

Update: there's a poll up concerning the new name for "Amzeroth"... Or, there will be in a matter of minutes from writing this.
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

Thanks everyone for the input on the map, I drew this a few weeks ago, and have just now remembered to scan and post it.

Talaroc: As for new players who want to master several types of magic, should this really be what we want? Don't you think it's best to get players to specialize in one type of magic rather than be all-arounders too easily? As for world expansion, I'd like to see a world that gets mroe detailed by expanding inward, like with closed areas opening and new dungeons being discovered. I don't see why we have to expand outward to support a growing world, and as you can see, it's easy to add islands to the edges of the map (and may islands are already beyond the ring that comprises the 9 temples).

Elven: I really like the temple designs, and don't see a real problem with spriting and using them as they are. I sort of favor the more traditional temples myself (the ones elven showed) but that's just a personal opinion really, and it's up to whoever is making these decisions about world development in the end.

Aacheron: I read your NPCs in the WorldDevelopment section and was thoroughly impressed at the characters you are able to create. (We need more female sages though). Keep up the good work, and I'll try to stay in touch a bit more. Remember you can always PM me or IM me if you have questions, I'll be sure to answer. Can't make the same claim for my email though :shock:
The Mana World System Coordinator.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

One question: how come the desert is right next to the snowy areas..?
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Hmm I think it's a glass desert not snow?
drf
Peon
Peon

Post by drf »

GIMP fun:
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Another question: so where is the snow..? :roll: