The simple confirmation to help with getting BOT players

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

NeedMana
Peon
Peon

The simple confirmation to help with getting BOT players

Post by NeedMana »

It is known and were used a lot in Ultima Online unofficial shards that is a random from time to time confirmation that shows up on screen for every player to confirm. To make it more efficiently (avoid botting it too) some made it better and added a random small number code for the player to add, in each time confirmation appears, before confirming; just like we see in applying accounts or for confirming the account in this forum for exemple. No answering leads to finished connection and the number of times a players didn't answer keep registered so that it can help when it is to terminate certain accounts that are might be BOT abusive. No answering can also don't finish the connection if there are actives GMs to attend, because then, they can go to that suspect player that don't answer and check if they are really botting or not.
Shaggy
Novice
Novice

Re: The simple confirmation to help with getting BOT players

Post by Shaggy »

Hmm

1) If you're in the middle of a big fight, do you have to tell the monsters to wait a bit, while you key in the response,
2) It would be very easy to program a bot to respond correctly.
3) It interrupts gameplay too much

IMHO, there is no good way of ovecoming the bot problem—they're here to stay (unless a GM spots them and bans them).
Enjoyed The Mana World? Then check out Aethyra (http://www.aethyra.com).
NeedMana
Peon
Peon

Post by NeedMana »

It can (and ususally have) a waiting period of like 1 min or so to answer. And with a random code generation I dont think its that easy to a bot to pass it. Also it appear at random times. Of course, this is a easier way. The efficient method would be a report in the game with easily access to call a GM to the location of the Botter so to verify it and use banning so that with time it would discorage people from using it. That would need active GMS, but that system can help. I would sure pay a "price" to get the game out of Botters. Thats is much more annoiyng to me than a confirmation interruping my gameplay each 2-3 hours or so, I'm all in for not for having people taking that huge kind of advantage that is using a BOT.

EDIT: Has I'm posting this I'm just in the same place with a guy that is using a BOT, and not a simple standing bot! It seems almost maked up for this game since it go to the enemies, sit to recover and can also take itens very fast. Maybe a universal bot. They can ban my account if I'm not right. It might be a bad idea only if something more efficient came up, but without anything I think would be great to have and dissued them from using. They would at least be by the computer looking after and not sleeping while we need to work to reach something. A game full of botters never survive much longer, and the notice spread very fast.

But its Alpha and I'm not saying nothing now. The best could be just assign GMs or "well knowm for their maturity" players to answer bot calls and check it out. Banning some can soon really discorage the usage at least far from PC.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

NeedMana wrote:It can (and ususally have) a waiting period of like 1 min or so to answer. And with a random code generation I dont think its that easy to a bot to pass it. Also it appear at random times.
If it's sent as text, a bot could easily parse for it. Even a plain image. We'd have to go full blown CAPTCHA to use this. Please have a look at this thread to see why that isn't a good idea: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2646.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

I am tired of these threads, finaly cut them, and let moderator do the work.

Regards.