[FND]forest tileset

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Len
Knight
Knight

Re: forest tileset

Post by Len »

niels.ellegaard wrote:Ah, now I get it. Perhaps it would become easier to see if the tree started to blur a little closer to the ground or if the blurry part continued upwards little longer. I think that Crush's tree in the following thread is easier to understand: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=1973.
Perhaps you are correct it might be more effective to just decrease the Opacity (Rather than blur them) as the trees go higher. It might also help reinforce the idea if we included some thinner leafless tree trunks like in this image along side the older ones, and have them both start vanishing at the same height.
Anyway, I will stop here. Good luck with the tileset. It looks great.
You needn't stop your observations are appreciated (even if I do get snippy from time to time)
Pixel Battalion
Shaggy
Novice
Novice

Post by Shaggy »

It looks to me from the above picture, that the bottom trees are holding up the upper level (like if a roof had grass growing from it).
Enjoyed The Mana World? Then check out Aethyra (http://www.aethyra.com).
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Shaggy wrote:It looks to me from the above picture, that the bottom trees are holding up the upper level (like if a roof had grass growing from it).
:roll: *smacks shaggy* :roll:
Pixel Battalion
Shaggy
Novice
Novice

Post by Shaggy »

If my observations, which were meant in good faith, meet with violence, I wonder why I bother.
Enjoyed The Mana World? Then check out Aethyra (http://www.aethyra.com).
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Shaggy wrote:If my observations, which were meant in good faith, meet with violence, I wonder why I bother.
I was joking, and that image is not part of the forest tileset (its being used as an example)
So your pointing out the optical illusion was kind of pointless and for that I smack you :lol:
Pixel Battalion
niels.ellegaard
Peon
Peon

Post by niels.ellegaard »

Len wrote:
niels.ellegaard wrote:Ah, now I get it. Perhaps it would become easier to see if the tree started to blur a little closer to the ground or if the blurry part continued upwards little longer. I think that Crush's tree in the following thread is easier to understand: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=1973.
Perhaps you are correct it might be more effective to just decrease the Opacity (Rather than blur them) as the trees go higher. It might also help reinforce the idea if we included some thinner leafless tree trunks like in this image along side the older ones, and have them both start vanishing at the same height.
In this last version it is easy to see what s going on. I like the way that the texture of the trunk continues into the opaque region.

By the way, is it possible to place those trees (or similar ones) so close that they block the way for the players? (I haven't tried, but I have a feeling that it will look somewhat griddy.)
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

niels.ellegaard wrote:By the way, is it possible to place those trees (or similar ones) so close that they block the way for the players? (I haven't tried, but I have a feeling that it will look somewhat griddy.)
Using other plants and rocks as part of the barrier would help that.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Yea, that tileset was more a quick test tileset for big isometric tiles.
And that's a bad example image of it. :)
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Despite my best attempts to get everything done by today, I’ve failed…

* I did however slightly improve the look of the cliff
* And started developing water tiles http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/1621/water777es8.png (although I haven’t decided upon anything yet)
Pixel Battalion
Insert Name Here
Peon
Peon

Post by Insert Name Here »

This may seem like a completely pointless observation, but shouldn't the rock's shadows go \ that way rather than / that way? I.E towards us.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Insert Name Here wrote:This may seem like a completely pointless observation, but shouldn't the rock's shadows go \ that way rather than / that way? I.E towards us.
no... light in tmw comes from south-west so "/ direction" is right :)
Jetryl
Novice
Novice

Post by Jetryl »

:D That water looks really nice.

:? I've poked at making pillars/trees "fade into nothingness" as well, but I'm a little mixed about it. I don't think it really solves the issues with them being tall objects that obstruct things. The idea solution would be some sort of "make stuff partly transparent on the fly" algorithm, like diablo had.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Jetryl wrote:The ideal solution would be some sort of "make stuff partly transparent on the fly" algorithm, like diablo had.
For simple fairness/pvp/combat reasons that would be a nice solution in any case for our game.

Tech devs to the rescue?
This message used to be meaningful.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Rotonen wrote:
Jetryl wrote:The ideal solution would be some sort of "make stuff partly transparent on the fly" algorithm, like diablo had.
For simple fairness/pvp/combat reasons that would be a nice solution in any case for our game.

Tech devs to the rescue?
We could draw stuff again with some opacity after the overlayer.
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Now that I have time again, I will resume my the thorn tile.

Since the previous one is no good, I am sketching the basic shape of the proposed thorns plants:

Are we going with plant at the bottom left? Somehow, they just don't look very attractive.

Also if we are going to programatically fade out tiles, should I finish up the top part of the big tree?