Usable TME/Aethyra content?

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Usable TME/Aethyra content?

Post by Crush »

As you might have noticed there is a TMW fork called Aethyra (formerly The Mana Experiment) which created some new content.

What do you think about backporting some of their content?

I took a quick look at it. These are the changes I found and my opinions about them:

NPC Database:
The Aethyra guys are using the new NPC system, which allows to combine NPCs from other sprites, to replace the NPCs which don't really fit the style of the playerset with sprites combined from the playerset and different recolored equipment and hair sprites. I think this is a quite good idea in most cases. We should think about adopting their NPC database at least partially. The only problem I see is that some NPCs are now easily mistaken for player characters.

New maps:
They also made a few new maps. I am against using them because I would prefer when we from the TMW team retain full control over the world development by directly planning and coordinating any mapping initiatives.

New NPC scripts:
Because Hurnscald is the new starting location on Aethyra most Tulimshar NPCs have been transefred there. I consider this a quite bad idea when we keep Tulimshar as a starting location because I see no reason to have everything but a kitchen sink in every single town.

New monsters:
Aethyra is using recolorations of existing monsters excessively. Too excessively, in my opinion (mushrooms in the desert??). There is also the plant monster from Evol Online (whichs copyright status is still unclear to me) and a strange recolorisation of the fire goblin which is supposed to be a water goblin (looks quite Duck up, IMO). Not much to recycle here.

New equipment:
There are some interesting headgears, but some are quite redundant to me or would never pass our quality standards. There is also the savior plate from another TMW fork which is used regardless of the missing female version. Nevertheless there are a few items which could be considered.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Re: Usable TME/Aethyra content?

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

After your summary my opinion is that we should only backport the items that are worth
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Well, if they are going to have scripts for proper quests and especially linked quests, of course we should use them.

Same goes for proper items.

Most importantly of all we should get the newer eAthena from them. I have been working a bit with jaxad on getting it to run with MySQL support. This would potentially allow us to even use some of the web control panels for eAthena.
This message used to be meaningful.
Angeliex
Peon
Peon

Post by Angeliex »

I would like to ask that none of my graphical content be used. I would hope that someone will honor that statement.
A pencil is an extension the arm.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Angeliex wrote:I would like to ask that none of my graphical content be used. I would hope that someone will honor that statement.
According to your copyright notice Aethyra is licensed under the GNU General Public License. When it contains any content which is licensed under other licenses please specify these files and what copyright terms apply to them.

When doing so keep in mind that any derived works of TMW artworks (graphics based on original TMW graphics) must be released under the GNU GPL or you are committing a copyright violation.
Last edited by Crush on 12 Aug 2008, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Angeliex
Peon
Peon

Post by Angeliex »

-
Last edited by Angeliex on 14 Aug 2008, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Angeliex wrote:I would like to ask that none of my graphical content be used. I would hope that someone will honor that statement.
So according to that some graphical content is under other licence than GPL? Otherwise we have full right to not honour that statement. In the same way you get our base files.

sorry. :P
GonzoDark
Warrior
Warrior

Post by GonzoDark »

Yes, you do have your full right not to honor that statement.. But he asked you nicely not to use his stuff/changes whatever. So please let us (aethyra) be unique from tmw.

// GonzoDark
IchigoBlack (86) a.k.a GonzoDark (80) || HolyManaClan

i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

GonzoDark wrote:Yes, you do have your full right not to honor that statement.. But he asked you nicely not to use his stuff/changes whatever. So please let us (aethyra) be unique from tmw.

// GonzoDark
Oh! I see...
Angeliex could you be so nice and do NOT use any of my graphic work for TMW? Yea I know that you got full right to use that, it's GPL. But you must understand that I ask you so nicely...

This situation IMO is clear. Angeliex you HAVE TO define licence of that content.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Could you please specify which of your files are released under which copyright terms?

The only copyright information I can find in any of your works is the GNU General Public License which explicitely allows us to use and modify your work as long as we offer the same right to everyone else.
  • NOT a game master

Angeliex
Peon
Peon

Post by Angeliex »

-
Last edited by Angeliex on 14 Aug 2008, 22:56, edited 1 time in total.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Angeliex wrote:All non tmw based graphics created by me are not public domain.
Specify the licence ;) Add it to wiki, and distribute separately from GPL part then.
Aethyra Wiki wrote: Please note that all documents on the Aethyra Wiki are released under the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL), while all content, including games files, graphics, code, artwork, and other related materials, are released under the GNU General Public License (GPL).
Last edited by i on 12 Aug 2008, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

TMW has never been public domain either. It is licensed under the GNU General Public License. This is a big difference - it forces anyone who creates work based on our content to release it under the same terms.

Could you please be a bit more specific and create an explicite list of the files you are claiming a copyright on?
  • NOT a game master

fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

Hi,

out of curiousity: Angeliex, may I ask precisely why you would prefer it if your tme artwork were not to be used in tmw?

-- fate
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

fate wrote:Hi,
out of curiousity: Angeliex, may I ask precisely why you would prefer it if your tme artwork were not to be used in tmw?
BTW, according to theirs wiki, they already licence that under GPL. Is it possible to change licence from GPL to any other uncompatible one?