Monster spawn cool down time

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

sirad
Peon
Peon

Monster spawn cool down time

Post by sirad »

I would like to see a 2 or 3 second cool down time for monster spawning. I don't like the fact that they can attack as soon as they are spawned. Anyone agree?
Booth
Knight
Knight

Re: Monster spawn cool down time

Post by Booth »

i disagree
"Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken."
"I believe that sex is a beautiful thing between two people. Between five, it's fantastic."
Turmfalke
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Turmfalke »

what about a system that prevent monster from spawning next to a player? for me it looks odd when monster appear from nowhere.
I stand beside the holy man
The monarchs fear my wrath
None may move the way I can
Ever the crooked path
a knight
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Turmfalke wrote:what about a system that prevent monster from spawning next to a player? for me it looks odd when monster appear from nowhere.
Then you could prevent all monster spawning with enough chars on the map.
Turmfalke
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Turmfalke »

What do you think, how many chars do you need for the snake pit?
I stand beside the holy man
The monarchs fear my wrath
None may move the way I can
Ever the crooked path
a knight
Booth
Knight
Knight

Post by Booth »

3+
"Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken."
"I believe that sex is a beautiful thing between two people. Between five, it's fantastic."
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

I've said it before, the biggest thing that I don't like about TMW is monsters appearing from out of thin air. I would like to reiterate my suggestions about how to rectify this ... One idea is the "egg" concept: A roaming mob can lay eggs that transform into new monsters (preferably baby versions). Eggs don't have to actually be "eggs" but just something turns into another monster. A big slime can leave a trail behind him of small puddles of ooze that will eventually turn into small slimes. Another idea is that of mitosis: a big enemy breaks into smaller versions upon death. A big slime would explode into a random number of smaller slimes after its defeated. I'm not sure how to classify this (if this is mitosis or some other form) but another idea is that of when a monster dies, a bunch of other monster come out of the carcass. Like if a mooboo is killed a bunch of maggots make their way out of the carcass which remains on the map (unlike the other method of mitosis where the carcass explodes into smaller versions). The final idea is that of migration: Enemies move onto maps via normal exit points (just like players do). Discuss ...
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Monsters who create monsters is a bad idea, because it leads to exponential growth of the monster population.

When every monster creates a new monster every, let's say, one minute and the newly created monsters immediately start to create new monsters themself, this means that the number of monsters doubles every minute.

When you start with one monster, you got 2 after a minute.
The next minute you got 4
After 3 minutes you got 8
After 4 minutes 16
5 minutes 32

Do you know how many monsters you have when you leave them unattended for an hour?

I'll tell you. 2^60 =
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

Crush, I know about the exponential growth factor (I think you told me about one time before). However, if we didn't make it so that an enemy made a baby after a certain amount of time (like every two minutes it made a baby) and made it more of a server process that checked the amount of players vs. mobs and if the players outnumbered mobs, then the server searches for a mob that can reproduce (so that you could have male and female mobs and only the females can reproduce, or particular types of mobs could reproduce) and made that mob reproduce via "egg" ... Maybe whether a mob can reproduce and how it reproduces could be part of the "MonsterDB" XML file.

Basically, the server issuing a reproduce() command is the same thing as a spawn() command only executed slightly differently as well as displayed differently via on-screen graphics.
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

zick wrote:I've said it before, the biggest thing that I don't like about TMW is monsters appearing from out of thin air. I would like to reiterate my suggestions about how to rectify this ... One idea is the "egg" concept: A roaming mob can lay eggs that transform into new monsters (preferably baby versions). Eggs don't have to actually be "eggs" but just something turns into another monster. A big slime can leave a trail behind him of small puddles of ooze that will eventually turn into small slimes. Another idea is that of mitosis: a big enemy breaks into smaller versions upon death. A big slime would explode into a random number of smaller slimes after its defeated. I'm not sure how to classify this (if this is mitosis or some other form) but another idea is that of when a monster dies, a bunch of other monster come out of the carcass. Like if a mooboo is killed a bunch of maggots make their way out of the carcass which remains on the map (unlike the other method of mitosis where the carcass explodes into smaller versions). The final idea is that of migration: Enemies move onto maps via normal exit points (just like players do). Discuss ...
Also, another method of monster reproducing is a mob digging its way from under the ground to the surface. This could be the same thing as "appearing out of thin air" only represented graphicly in some way so that the enemy isn't there one second and all the sudden there the next. Like a maggot digging up from the ground below to the surface or a fluffy appearing out of a hole in the ground (like a rabbit/rodent might). Maybe this "hole" could just be some tile that acts as a spawn point. Spawn point tiles could also be used for things like "magic rings" that transport a mob from another dimension to ours ...
Shaggy
Novice
Novice

Post by Shaggy »

Use the Edit button
Enjoyed The Mana World? Then check out Aethyra (http://www.aethyra.com).
raymond
Peon
Peon

Post by raymond »

i agree... a spawn point could apear for a 2 seconds cool down, before the enemy apear....